Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 07:18 AM

203 posts, read 271,355 times

Advertisements

Hi - After visiting Dallas last month to vacation and look around for possible future relocation, there was one thing that stuck in my DH's mind. We knew there were alleyways around back in many towns for garbage pickup, etc. but he was surprised that the gas meters were just sitting there out in the open. Now he's a civil engineer and works in construction mgmt so of course he's thinking of the safety issue. I'm not sure how I feel about those alleys but I like the fact that it "cleans" up the street. We were looking in Plano and surrounding areas and we could focus on houses without them but is that really a big problem? He was saying that most people are probably used to it when backing out of their garages but what if it's hit by a garbage truck? Accidents do happen I guess. He's just usually not an alarmist at all but really felt this was hazardous. I guess we could put a steel reinforcement around ours if we move there
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
Hi - After visiting Dallas last month to vacation and look around for possible future relocation, there was one thing that stuck in my DH's mind. We knew there were alleyways around back in many towns for garbage pickup, etc. but he was surprised that the gas meters were just sitting there out in the open. Now he's a civil engineer and works in construction mgmt so of course he's thinking of the safety issue. I'm not sure how I feel about those alleys but I like the fact that it "cleans" up the street. We were looking in Plano and surrounding areas and we could focus on houses without them but is that really a big problem? He was saying that most people are probably used to it when backing out of their garages but what if it's hit by a garbage truck? Accidents do happen I guess. He's just usually not an alarmist at all but really felt this was hazardous. I guess we could put a steel reinforcement around ours if we move there
You could if you're paranoid, but I've never heard of a fire or explosion or death or injury being caused by someone hitting a gas meter with their car.

He's being alarmist.

My gas meter is also by the alley but it's inside the fence line. There's a little hole cut into the fence so the gas man can read the meter. Some of my neighbors' gas meters are outside their fence lines. No accidents.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,464 times
Honestly, it was also a concern of mine when purchasing a house in the area but it hasn't been an issue.
Those telephone/cable junction boxes in the street seem to get routinely pummeled by comparison.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,469 times
They get hit sometimes. Most just kind of bend over rather than spring a leak.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Honestly, it was also a concern of mine when purchasing a house in the area but it hasn't been an issue.
Those telephone/cable junction boxes in the street seem to get routinely pummeled by comparison.
Yup, those get hit all the time. Mailboxes too.

People who drive garbage trucks are pretty good about not hitting stuff in the alley. In my city (Richardson) they can get in big trouble for damaging peoples' property. I used to have a problem with them driving on the grass behind the fence in the alley (my property); their wheels were gouging out huge troughs. I snapped a photo, e-mailed it to the city with a terse but civil letter of complaint, and they fixed it the next day. They haven't driven over that area in at least a couple of years. These people aren't stupid; they know what the potential consequences are of hitting a gas meter.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,404 times
You have more to worry about the back alley neighbor backing into your meter but if it does happen its on the gas company to fix it. My neighbor backed into mine and I called gas company and they came out in less than an hour and replaced it.

Once you get used to parking in back and your alley youu will learn to love it like I do. I have lived in same house for 42 years.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 AM

203 posts, read 271,355 times
Default Thanks

I'll pass that info to DH. I'm usually the one who worries about that kind of stuff. The gas co. fixes it if a neighbor backs into it?? Really? Wow, I'd think it would come out of the driver's auto insurance. Actually, you bring up a good point with garbage and recycling employees being careful due to consequences. The neighbor, however, would then be more of a concern!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
I'll pass that info to DH. I'm usually the one who worries about that kind of stuff. The gas co. fixes it if a neighbor backs into it?? Really? Wow, I'd think it would come out of the driver's auto insurance. Actually, you bring up a good point with garbage and recycling employees being careful due to consequences. The neighbor, however, would then be more of a concern!
The gas company owns the meter and the line going from the meter away from the house, so it's their responsibility to fix/replace it. They might go after the neighbor who damaged it, but they're not going to make you wait.

Honestly, we have gas meters in alleyways in my neighborhood and I've never heard of anyone hitting one and damaging it. You're fretting over nothing.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,171 times
Gas meters in the alley way are not an issue for me as much as safety. Anybody could be back there when I'm coming home at 10pm and I wouldn't know until they got me. I hate those alleys. Ugly too!!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The gas company owns the meter and the line going from the meter away from the house, so it's their responsibility to fix/replace it. They might go after the neighbor who damaged it, but they're not going to make you wait.

Honestly, we have gas meters in alleyways in my neighborhood and I've never heard of anyone hitting one and damaging it. You're fretting over nothing.
I have a property that had the gas meter hit by a car. Don't be quite so optimistic about the gas company coming out. They are responsible for the line to the meter and the meter itself. Once it comes out of the meter it is no longer their responsibility. The line that broke was the line AFTER the meter. They came out and shut off the gas but I had to hire a plumber to fix the line before they would turn back on the gas. $400 later the house had gas again. I also had to pay for the gas that spewed into the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas