Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM

617 posts, read 1,044,135 times

Advertisements

So much information here:
Neighborsgo Community News | Schools And Education Information | Local Crime Reports | Events - The Dallas Morning News

Observations:

COLLEGES AND RANKINGS
The path of any individual student is so much more random than the stats. In other words, it's far from the case that the best students at the best schools uniformly go to the best colleges. For example, the colleges of the val/sals in Flower Mound are not more highly ranked than in the other LISD high schools.

Few HS (Plano West, St. mark's) send both v/s out of state. Not only top-ranked UT and Rice but also TCU, SMU, UTD have a strong pull.

Virtually no one going to top out of state Public U's (Berkeley, Michigan...) Why pay for that when UT is an option? The out of state population at Michigan, Wisconsin etc. must be mostly from wealthy Northeastern states with lesser ranked public options. Almost no one going to small colleges (one Colby, one Swarthmore, zero Amherst or Williams). Is that not what v/s do? Yet Amherst, Williams etc. provide outstanding education. Few to the small colleges in TX (St. Eds, Trinity) or highly-ranked West coast equivalents (Reed, Pomona). Perhaps students are passing up good chances to be admitted to good schools by not applying to these places?

Could be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing a v/s from the DISD magnets go to a top ten college in recent years. Other than lots of AP tests, what is the real level of achievement there? I visited TAG once and wasn't impressed. Not on the Plano level, or...?

MAJORS
Huge predominance of engineering/medicine. Few say banking/finance/consulting. I guess this is still something that you gravitate to once in college, rather than beforehand. None for law?! Perhaps HS v/s are still too idealistic to say "corporate lawyer" but no one said "idealistic change-the-world lawyer." Or is the overproduction of lawyers widely recognized? Does the future legal/financial elite not come from dfw hs v/s? Maybe there is a practical culture in TX that distrusts making money from pure abstractions like law/finance. Or hard-driving immigrant tiger moms are more familiar with engineering and medicine. Plenty of children of immigrant parents, or 1st-generation college students, start out as engineering/pre-med at parents insistence, then switch out if/when they can do so, often after a crisis (in my experience).

Not too many say "Silicon Valley social-media startup." Perhaps this is too risky for prudent, cautious vals/sals.

I worry about the v/s from lower-ranked HS who plan to major in engineering at Stanford or Rice, if they were admitted for diversity and not pure merit. Some research (Peter Arcidiacono, Richard Sander) says that many students who want to do a STEM major, who come into an MIT-level program without top-notch prep, wind up washing out when they would have done just fine in STEM at a lower-ranked, slower-paced program. HS counselors are not always realistic/understanding about what it means to come in with an 1100 SAT when your new college classmates average 1500 SAT, and the students who find themselves at the bottom of the class are sacrificed so the colleges can feel good about diversity.

One or two for Bible college, no one for the div. schools at Vandy/SMU/Duke. Been a long time since the ministry got the creme de la creme academically. One for archaeology (lakehill), none for English or other humanities. Understandably, yet the future Jonathan Edwards, Harold Bloom, Reinhold Niebuhr, Simon Schama, etc. are going to need to come from somewhere. Likewise with politics/public service. Where is the future James Baker, Henry Kissinger, Condi Rice, Madeleine Albright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,349,715 times
Rice seemed to sweep the V/S competition this year. Impressive! Stanford also seemed to recruit more V/S than in previous years. Not a great Ivy year for local V/S.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM

953 posts, read 1,833,917 times
Interesting analysis... But you don't put Duke, SMU and Vandy in the same category. It is quite undeniable that Duke beats out a few Ivys and the other two are nowhere to be found in there.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,472,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
So much information here:
Neighborsgo Community News | Schools And Education Information | Local Crime Reports | Events - The Dallas Morning News
Where is the future James Baker, Henry Kissinger, Condi Rice, Madeleine Albright?
What were they doing at the ripe age of 17-18. Plus in there time the 17/18 then is more equivalent to the 22/24 of today. These kids need time to grow and experience life. The tops of the tops in HS don't always end up at the top of "society".

Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,653,900 times
Regarding law, that's not something you "major" in in college. Maybe there's some sort of "pre-law" program out there, but not that I'm aware of.

As a totally anecdotal aside, many of the best law students I knew had undergrad degrees in English, Sociology, and other subjects that one doesn't normally associate with "law school attendees". Very few law students (again, in my circle, my experience may be far from the norm) were poli sci majors or whatever the stereotypical majors are for law students.

Well deserved congrats to all the Vals and Sals!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 AM

276 posts, read 529,437 times
World University Rankings 2012-2013 - Times Higher Education

Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,349,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Interesting analysis... But you don't put Duke, SMU and Vandy in the same category. It is quite undeniable that Duke beats out a few Ivys and the other two are nowhere to be found in there.
OP was specifically speaking to the divinity schools at Duke / Vandy/ SMU, not the whole school's ranking.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,936,717 times
Four schools - Allen, Plano Senior, Plano West, and Keller (!) -- are sending both Val and Sal to Ivy schools. (If you count MIT, toss in St. Mark's.)

---

Quote:
Not too many say "Silicon Valley social-media startup." Perhaps this is too risky for prudent, cautious vals/sals.
I think you nailed it here. The vals/sals might be just flat-out brilliant, but also might be the type of kids willing (even eager) to do whatever it takes to get a 97 instead of a 95. That personality isn't the next Richard Branson or Stephen King.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:53 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,427,333 times
Quote:
None for law
Doing law as an undergraduate degree is a waste of time.

Washington University in St. Louis was the one stand out I saw. I've never even heard of that school nor heard people say much really positive about St Louis such that college students would want to specifically go there. Are they ramping up their Texas recruiting to get some strong minds to remain in the midwest or is it just some good unknown school?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,936,717 times
Wash. U. has been hot for a while now. It's passed up places like Vandy and Rice, and is right up there with Duke and Johns Hopkins. So, yeah, getting in there is a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas