Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:49 AM

350 posts, read 749,650 times

Advertisements

OP - just given the things you listed as being important, it seems that Plano really wouldn't be a bad fit for you. Many move here specifically for the schools, so they demand many of things you mentioned (parks, libraries with great programs for kids, etc...) for their family. I'm sure you would also love Lakewood. Any chance you can drive around the areas before you buy a house?

On the politics though, I have to caution you- when you say "I have a single republican friend who we all think is funny. Seriously", you sound just a bit intolerant (probably not on purpose I'm sure). Realize that this is Texas, and whether you're in Lakewood, Plano, or any other area you may end up in, you will find conservatives. I'm not sure if this is a great attitude to have towards them. Of course, there will be liberals in any of those places too, but bear this in mind. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by PISDstudent; 06-04-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM

257 posts, read 550,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISDstudent View Post
I take issue with quite a few things that have been said on this thread, but this is what really got me. Plano ISD is about 40% white, and 28% economically disadvantaged. The majority of my friends learned another language besides english first; 25% of the city's population is made up of immigrants.
I didn't say that Plano was all white OR all upper class. I just wanted the OP to be aware that there will be a lot of diversity in a Dallas public school. Comparing to your Plano statistics, Woodrow Wilson HS is around 20% white, 67% hispanic, 10% african american, with 17% Limited English Proficient and 55% eligible for free/reduced lunch.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 AM

350 posts, read 749,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmab View Post
I didn't say that Plano was all white OR all upper class. I just wanted the OP to be aware that there will be a lot of diversity in a Dallas public school. Comparing to your Plano statistics, Woodrow Wilson HS is around 20% white, 67% hispanic, 10% african american, with 17% Limited English Proficient and 55% eligible for free/reduced lunch.
What concerned me was this:
Quote:
so if you're expecting all of your child's classmates to be middle class and have English as their first language, you should stick with Plano
Thanks for the clarification- I'm glad you didn't mean to imply that- your point on Woodrow's diversity is definitely valid.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM

291 posts, read 674,880 times
If the OP grew up in NY and went to college in L.A., I'm sure it's not a culture shock that many people here in Dallas did not speak English as their first language. English was not my first language either. I grew up in NYC and went to a top 20 college and a top 5 grad school. I went to a specialized high school and was given a full academic scholarship to a private high school that I turned down (twice). Why do people here in TX equate being poor or non-white with being stupid? It's kind of offensive when you really think about it. My daughter is a almost 2 years old and I surely hope that she will end up growing up with people of all different backgrounds.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Yes within that amorphous 'hispanic' appellation, there are rich, poor, whiter, darker, non-English speaking, non-Spanish speaking,different national backgrounds from Cuba to Mexico to South America etc..etc..some of my friends like to call themselves "Tex-Mex".

Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
Why do people here in TX equate being poor or non-white with being stupid?
No one said that anywhere in this thread. In fact, no one in this thread has said that ethnic or socioeconomic diversity is a bad thing. Only that it exists. Not exactly breaking news.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Advocate Magazine Woodrow golfer takes gold » Advocate Magazine

“I’m extremely lucky to live in this neighborhood and know people who’ve watched me, even people I don’t know, people who just live here,” she says. “It’s really special to know, because when I play well, it’s not only for myself; it’s for my neighborhood.”

State Golf Champion Grace Choi with Woodrow's second Heisman Trophy winner, Tim Brown, at the Tim Brown Woodrow Wilson Golf Tournament.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
No one said that anywhere in this thread. In fact, no one in this thread has said that ethnic or socioeconomic diversity is a bad thing. Only that it exists. Not exactly breaking news.
Why would you mention that it exists then, if it was not intended to be some kind of secret warning to those who post? I've never seen anyone mention that Caucasian kids exist. Hmmm.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
Why would you mention that it exists then, if it was not intended to be some kind of secret warning to those who post? I've never seen anyone mention that Caucasian kids exist. Hmmm.
Because it's a difference between West Plano and East Dallas: schools have more diversity. That was the point of this thread...to offer input on the differences between the neighborhoods he/she is considering.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:22 PM

I reread the OP's original post and didn't see anything where racial or economic diversity was mentioned though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas