Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 5,376 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any replies!

My husband was recruited for a new position in Garland. He will start the beginning of June.

We are trying to determine where to move. Home rentals are very difficult to find. We are looking in the areas of Garland, Richardson, Murphy, Sachse and Wylie. We already own a home out of state or we'd be buying here.

His income is nearly $120k - actually with commission it will be over that. I'm trying to find a house that is $2400/mth or less, with a pool, relatively new and not a HUGE house...something under 3000 square feet or thereabouts. It is a challenge!

We did find one house that is pretty much what we want, except it is not extremely new. What is troubling me is that it is located right off George Bush in Garland, very near the new Holiday Inn / Texas Roadhouse / On the Border / Chuck E Cheese are located.

What is scaring me is that presently, the house has a big vacant lot behind it. I'm wondering what is slated to be built in that area. Depending on what it is, we might lose the privacy in that backyard.

If anyone knows the answer to this question, I would appreciate it!

Also, if anyone has opinions about the schools in Garland, Sachse, Murphy, Wylie, and Richardson I would appreciate it. My daughter is homeschooled right now, but she would like to have a chance to go to a "school". She is ahead (at least) 2 grades in math, reading and spelling. It sounds like she would have a very little chance of getting into a Garland Magnet school, as there are waiting lists as it is. Not sure if there are any other good options. We thought about Montessori...

Lots of choices and lots of changes.

Appreciate any info / advice!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:15 PM

297 posts, read 513,239 times
That area is zoned for mostly restaurants and service type businesses with the most of it being restaurants. Part of it I believe belongs to the church on N. Garland Ave but could be wrong. If you are renting it I would not worry about it being developed any time real soon. Probably after you have sold your other house and bought a house here. The area is actually pretty quiet and you could easily walk to the nearby elementary school if your daughter does end up going there or on weekends and evenings to play. That part of 190 is not as busy as other areas to the west on 190. Only "heavy" traffic is going to be commutes and when graduation season hits for the nearby GISD Special Events Center. You will have easy access to 190 with dining, shopping, entertainment all close at hand and in a very family friendly area.

Good luck and welcome to town

Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,758,140 times
It took the city eons to approve the Outback when they wanted to come. The city is very protective of the residential concerns in that area.

Have friends that recently sold their home that backed up to that little street across from OTB and Olive Garden and Outback and their biggest complaint was the smells making them hungry - noise was rarely an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas