Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 8,614 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, we are thinking of moving to Dallas from NYC. We have also considered Florida, but it seems that the job market is better in Dallas. We have lived in Manhattan for about 7 years, and work in finance and IT. Although we both love NYC, and it's definitely one of the greatest cities in the world, we're getting tired of the daily grind, and small apartments. Would like to purchase a home. Have done a little bit of research (I know property taxes much higher etc). Basically I'm looking for any advice that anyone has, or any shared experience. Obviously we would be buying a car, I'm under no impression that Dallas is similar to NYC, but we're interested in a new experience and are attracted to the cheaper cost of living etc.

Which areas would you suggest (we are both white educated, 30yrs old)
Anything particular to consider when moving to the area?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Best

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
My Brother in law is from New York (Syracuse) and he and my sister live in Dallas. They live near Downtown, in Lower Greenville area and love it.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Kids? What do you want-yard, big house, new, re-model, ranch-style (don't worry~it's not on acreage)? Price?

There are multiple options available. White Rock, Addison, Lakewood, Plano, Frisco, McKinney...and that's just Dallas. There's Fort Worth and all of it's surrounding cities (suburbs) as well.

Need more info.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:02 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Rent an apartment in a central location the 1st year while you look for work. The Las Colinas area of Irving would be a great place to start and get you close to everything.

DM me if you need an apartment locater person referral.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 8,614 times
Thanks for the answers so far. No kids yet, probably not for 3-4 years, thinking of getting married next year. We were looking at houses with a pool, I hear the summers get very hot down there, so that would be a nice feature to have. Looking for a modern home, updated kitchens/baths 2 stories, hardwood etc. Budget probably up to 400k.

Renting for a little while will probably make most sense, it seems to be tougher to look from NYC, especially since you can't view the properties in person. Are there any areas to avoid though? Also we wouldn't mind the suburbs, unless the commute is too long (which would rule out further north, Frisco etc. I would think)?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 8,807 times
Look in the briarwood/bluffview area. BUT, as another poster said rent first - which gives you a chance to really get to know the area. Finance jobs may be hard (depends on what kind of finance). IT will be easier. Get jobs first, but you probably know that already. Lots of NYC / DC / Chicago transplants in Dallas and loving it. Very different though, so for some may take a while. I've been here 11 years now. Moved from Chicago, hated it in the beginning appreciate it a lot now. Great for people with kids (have a 4 year old). Was great when I was single too. Lived in a condo on turtle creek and it was easy to get around to where ever. Every time we visit NYC we are struck by the thought that we couldn't do it now... would be too hard. Dallas is very easy to live in. Very hot in the summer -- something to consider!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattancouple View Post
Thanks for the answers so far. No kids yet, probably not for 3-4 years, thinking of getting married next year. We were looking at houses with a pool, I hear the summers get very hot down there, so that would be a nice feature to have. Looking for a modern home, updated kitchens/baths 2 stories, hardwood etc. Budget probably up to 400k.

Renting for a little while will probably make most sense, it seems to be tougher to look from NYC, especially since you can't view the properties in person. Are there any areas to avoid though? Also we wouldn't mind the suburbs, unless the commute is too long (which would rule out further north, Frisco etc. I would think)?
Got it. Pools...great to have, a pain to maintain and the costs are outrageous (water costs=$$$$) in Texas. You might have some luck in the Lakewood area (lot's of families though~but that means it's mostly quiet), Briarwood as mentioned. Farthest out I would go would be Richardson/Plano (border of both) for you guys, after that commute gets to 35-45 min in traffic. There is Addison as well (Addison Cirlce~just helped a friend move in there...very nice area.) and the commute to Jerry's world & Ranger (baseball) games is 30 min. in traffic. Downtown for hockey or entertainment is about 20 min.

I would rent there first and you can widen your circle to see how far everything actually is.

Good luck. Welcome to Texas!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,604 times
To the OP, my wife and I are in the same boat. We hope to move this summer. My advice is to try to take a few trips down here to see if you'd actually like it.

I've made many trips to the DFW area and have fell in love with what it has to offer me personally. Recently I just brought my wife and family and they like it as well and would have no problems moving either for the better quality of life and lower cost of living.

have you visited Dallas yet? if not, try to plan a trip and stay for a week or so. Rent a car and drive all over, look at houses, and look around town to see how the layout of everything is. Also research the job market and be aware that in many cases for many people, what people earn in TX will be less that what you earn in NYC.

I've accepted the fact that I may have to take a $10-$20K pay cut if I relocate. But depending on your line of work, you might be able to earn more and make out like a bandit since TX doesn't impose a state or city tax.

I also believe that the job market in TX will be better than FL. I was offered a transfer with my company to FL but declined it since I don't like FL humidity and hurricanes too much....

Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 PM

100 posts, read 161,306 times
Richardson.

Easy access to highways, great schools and doesn't have the "big city" feel.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattancouple View Post

Definitely rent first. Anywhere in Uptown or The Village apartments in Dallas will give you a central location from which to explore your new city - assuming this works for your commutes.

As for long term, you'll need to decide what is important as far as home location & size/updatedness--> housing prices in "the loop" (south of 635-LBJ freeway and including the previously mentioned neighborhoods of Briarwood, Bluffview, & Lakewood) are expensive. Not Manhattan expensive but Westchester County expensive (ie, a 2/2 updated 1200SF 1930's cottage about in Briarwood is going to run you $400k with about $8500 in annual property taxes). If you look further out at inner-ring suburbs or farther out suburbs, you will find a new home as you described for $400k. The trade off will be a 45-75 minute drive to downtown during rush hour and a 30ish minute drive to the city center for arts, concerts, most nightlife, the great restaurants, higher end shopping, etc.

I grew up in Dallas and live here now, but spent 5 years in Manhattan (early 20's) after college. There is nothing about Dallas that resembles Manhattan - very little walking, not as many exciting neighborhoods to explore, moderately adequate public transit here, etc. But on the flip side, Dallas is a growing city with a growing healthy economy. It's a very "easy" place to live & raise a family and even a bad commute here is nothing compared to the people I would come across in the city coming from southern Jersey, Philly, even Deleware & Boston area! It's less expensive BUT it is only significantly less expensive for those who are really high income (say, $350k+) who can dodge a huge state/city income tax burden by choosing Dallas IF they stick with a moderately priced home for their income (say, $700k range vs the $1.4M they would be approved for). Then the high property taxes here are still far less than what they would pay in NYC with income taxes + property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas