Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 AM

160 posts, read 432,267 times

Advertisements

Maybe a vague question (I admit that), but what public schools or at least what ISD offers classroom size, quality of education, almost as good as private. This makes the assumption that private is better, which may not be the case in all situations.

Reason I ask, is I am more inclined to go "good public" versus "outstanding private" due to affordability, etc. At the present time, my wife and I are looking at a move to DFW area in the future and focusing on Coppell and Grapevine areas. Southlake homes slightly out of our budget, and Keller too congested/saturated. Work location for me will be the Alliance area, in company provided car and gas.

I was in Keller a few weeks ago and its just too crowded, that whole area. I can't imagine in 5 years what it will look like. Nice town, great folks out there, don't get me wrong.

Thank You guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM

162 posts, read 303,711 times
I am new here myself but by talking to people and researching forums, it seems that HPISD, Plano, Coppell, Southlake, Flower Mound and Farmers Branch are most reputable districts. My children joined West Plano schools in January and so far we are really impressed with the standard of education.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 AM

953 posts, read 1,831,152 times
If you look at purely from the following metrics, then none of the school districts will come close -
1. % of students making it to Top 10 national universities to the total students (ideally you would like total students who applied to those schools but that will be hard to find so the closest substitute is total students)
2. % of NMSF vs. total students
3. Average and Median SAT score for the class.

The top private schools (there is no point in sending to mediocre private schools) in the area - Greenhill, Hockaday, St. Marks ONLY.

The above point is if your definition of "good" is academics. If you think about college football, I think "Jesuit" just kills the competition... Prosper and Frisco schools districts (I think are good in sports).

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM

160 posts, read 432,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
If you look at purely from the following metrics, then none of the school districts will come close -
1. % of students making it to Top 10 national universities to the total students (ideally you would like total students who applied to those schools but that will be hard to find so the closest substitute is total students)
2. % of NMSF vs. total students
3. Average and Median SAT score for the class.

The top private schools (there is no point in sending to mediocre private schools) in the area - Greenhill, Hockaday, St. Marks ONLY.

The above point is if your definition of "good" is academics. If you think about college football, I think "Jesuit" just kills the competition... Prosper and Frisco schools districts (I think are good in sports).
Yes academics. However ideally the kids have some foreign language/cultural opportunities at their schools. In addition, since 2013 forward we obviously live in a more global, more international world, ideally the school has some diversity, to prepare and mature the kids for adulthood.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
You will get plenty of responses on this highly talked about topic....

I would categorize DFW school districts by Superior,Great,Good,Fair and Poor.

In my opinion,the superior schools as of now are...

- Carroll ISD
- HPISD
- Coppell ISD
- Parts of Plano ISD.Plano is a city with a population close to 300,000,not all Plano schools are superior.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpritjr View Post
Yes academics. However ideally the kids have some foreign language/cultural opportunities at their schools. In addition, since 2013 forward we obviously live in a more global, more international world, ideally the school has some diversity, to prepare and mature the kids for adulthood.
None of the top publics are as good as the top privates. However, if you're talking top publics, then they're generally:

#1 - Highland Park...but if Southlake is outside your budget, HP is WAY beyond your budget.
#2 - Plano - Plano would seem to have what you're looking for: great metrics, a good amount of ethnic and socioeconomic diversity, homes that are within your budget. However, it's a ways east of the area you appear to be focused on, so it may not work for whatever commute you'll have. I'd still advise you to give it serious thought if possible.
#3 - Carroll - could arguably be #2, metrics are very similar to Plano but with less diversity. However, you've said it's outside of your budget.
#4 - Coppell - if you can afford it, location is good for many people and schools are excellent. May have a bit more diversity than Carroll/HP would.
#5 - Flower Mound (& Marcus) HS and feeders in Lewisville ISD - I'd rate Flower Mound HS ahead of Marcus due to slightly higher test metrics and a much higher NMSF percentage (highest among publics in the Metroplex IIRC). Not a lot of socioeconomic diversity (only 3% "economically disadvantaged"), some more ethnic diversity than HP/Carroll but not a ton (~75% white, ~10% each Asian and Hispanic and 5% other in FloMo).
#6- GCISD - Grapevine-Colleyville metrics are the lowest among these schools but still very good (Colelyville Heritage was #10 among all DFW high schools in SAT scores in 2012, and Grapevine HS was #12), with more socioeconomic diversity (GCISD pulls from part of Euless and some lower income/multi-family residence areas in Grapevine)

In general, with publics the more affluent the area the higher the test metrics (it's a very strong correlation), for a variety of reasons. Among the top public ISD's I believe Plano is something of an outlier with its high test metrics combined with diverse demographics, which would appear to make it a good fit for you.

As an FYI, next week I'll be a new Southlake resident, so I have no vested interest in pushing Plano, just saying that it would appear to fit your criteria the best. Having said that, Flower Mound HS or anywhere in GCISD might work as far as school choice (or Coppell, although I think that might also be "not terribly affordable" for you, but talk with a realtor and check it yourself. I believe Coppell is pretty crowded, which given your comments about Keller might be a deal-killer). I'd note that in terms of housing/ambiance, there's a considerable difference between Colleyville and Flower Mound, so you'll want to visit the areas and see for yourself what fits your life.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 AM

According to data and statistics, even PESH brings better results than all other Collin County schools and most DFW schools and it is supposedly the weakest link in PISD. I am sure there are some elementries and middles doing inferior than others but given their demographics they are still performing better than many more affluent districts. I guess IB students boost PESH results as almost all of them score significantly higher.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM

743 posts, read 1,321,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine0 View Post
I am new here myself but by talking to people and researching forums, it seems that HPISD, Plano, Coppell, Southlake, Flower Mound and Farmers Branch are most reputable districts. My children joined West Plano schools in January and so far we are really impressed with the standard of education.
Where is this great Farmers Branch ISD?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 AM

Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District - An Innovative Leader in Learning

All my info is here say squeezed out of forums, two realtors and a about a dozen people I know so far. It's my third month in Texas.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM

743 posts, read 1,321,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine0 View Post
Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District - An Innovative Leader in Learning

All my info is here say squeezed out of forums, two realtors and a about a dozen people I know so far. It's my third month in Texas.
A large portion of Farmers Branch is in DISD, FYI. And it is a rare event to hear CFBISD placed on the same plane as HP, Plano, or Southlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas