Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 AM

26 posts, read 114,346 times

Advertisements

How does the residential rental property market look like around North Dallas? My fiance has a 3 bedroom house, built in 1995, around Frankford/Midway area and she is looking to have it as a rental property.

What do we need to prep the house for rental? The house itself is quite well-kept, been through lots of upgrades (bathroom, tiles, kitchen etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,260,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0m8470 View Post
How does the residential rental property market look like around North Dallas? My fiance has a 3 bedroom house, built in 1995, around Frankford/Midway area and she is looking to have it as a rental property.

What do we need to prep the house for rental? The house itself is quite well-kept, been through lots of upgrades (bathroom, tiles, kitchen etc).
If the house is in Plano ISD, you have a winner. There are a few minor things to do to the home when you decide to rent it out. Mostly on locks, smoke alarms etc.

I usually recommend to homeowners to purchase a home warranty. It covers the major items such as water heater, HVAC and other items. Make a decision on pet policy.

Naima

Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
If the house is in Plano ISD, you have a winner. There are a few minor things to do to the home when you decide to rent it out. Mostly on locks, smoke alarms etc.

I usually recommend to homeowners to purchase a home warranty. It covers the major items such as water heater, HVAC and other items. Make a decision on pet policy.

Naima
Aren't there insurance implications also?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM

26 posts, read 114,346 times
I don't believe it's Plano ISD. The school district should be Carrollton-Farmers Branch.

When you mentioned pet policy - is it about whether the renter is allowed to have pets or not?

What is the typical sweet spot for lenght of rental contract? 12 months? 24 months? Are there common rental templates out there that we can look at? Will we be better off signing up with a realtor, or is this something that property owners can usually do on their own?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
I don't believe it's Plano ISD. The school district should be Carrollton-Farmers Branch.

When you mentioned pet policy - is it about whether the renter is allowed to have pets or not?

What is the typical sweet spot for lenght of rental contract? 12 months? 24 months? Are there common rental templates out there that we can look at? Will we be better off signing up with a realtor, or is this something that property owners can usually do on their own?
You should sign up with a property management company that can handle collecting rent/performing maintenance and repairs for you. If you're an inexperienced landlord you can fall into expensive traps pretty easily.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Aren't there insurance implications also?
No, actually the insurance cost goes down. You change your insurance plan to insure the structure and liability only not the contents.

Naima

Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Regarding pet policy. Yes, determine if you are OK with the tenants can have pets or make it on a case-by-case basis. I always recommend to the landlords on the homes I manage to NEVER accept someone that has a pitbull, no matter how "sweet and friendly" the tenants say he is.

For this time of year, you want a 12 month lease. You never want to have to put the house on the market just before the holidays.

Naima

Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM

61 posts, read 156,241 times
If you don't want to spend too much time on your rentals, go for a realtor or rental property management company. But you will have to pay the first month rent plus 10% rent/month to them. Depends on your house condition, you still can manage by yourself to save some money. But do remember to screen your tenants carefully. Definitely run credit report. verify employment, get reference from his/her previous landlord, etc. Never rush into a contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas