Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 AM

82 posts, read 239,418 times

Advertisements

Were considering DFW area and are wondering those of you who have moved...or considering a move from Ohio...Why? and how are you adjusting? what are your likes and dislikes? anything you can add is greatly appreciated.....are the summers really that bad? do you adjust to the heat? how about tornadoes/storms?
cost of living? taxes/insurance....?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,442,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Were considering DFW area and are wondering those of you who have moved...or considering a move from Ohio...Why? and how are you adjusting? what are your likes and dislikes? anything you can add is greatly appreciated.....are the summers really that bad? do you adjust to the heat? how about tornadoes/storms?

Thanks so much!
I lived in the Pittsburgh area and work with another lady who moved to DFW area from Pittsburgh. I moved because of job, I was transferredt to Pittsburgh then to N NJ then back to Houston where I retired. I moved to DFW to be closer to family members living here as well as in Southern Ok. I like DFW very much, yes it is hot but the winters are very nice. The climate in DFW area suits me better than Houston which is a lot more humid than DFW.

The lady I work with now that I returned to the work force, moved from Pittsburgh because her daugther and grandson live here. She too likes it here very much. The area is very diverse, she is a liberal and I am a conservative yet both find like minded people when we want to be around those of like mind. The job market and economy are so much better than most of the country in both Houston and Dallas. We both like working around business there are optimistic and positive about the future. She too has adjusted easily to the climate here, the hot summers are not too bad if one works inside as we do. The last few days have been sunny and 70 degrees.

Come on down, the area is very diverse, its growing and the cost of living is certainly not higher than in Pittsburgh and I assume Ohio cities are about the same as Pittsburgh. You can live in a huge metro that is new and growing and find people from all walks of life here. What you cant replace is family if they live near you now and wont move too. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM

217 posts, read 383,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post

Thanks so much!
I've lived a lot of places.... but lived in Westerville Ohio from 03-08 when I took a transfer with my employer to Texas. They are pretty similar in all things.... both big city followed by rural areas that are spread-out.

I think Ohio has the better weather, at least to me it was.... it does get that hot down here, its not a myth.... its freakn hot everywhere. Houston is a couple of degrees cooler on average, but more humid, Dallas is hotter, but a little dryer. (But not really any different than Ohio)

What I don't like about down here is the snakes, giant spiders and critters running around. (It obviously doesn't help that I live next to a big lake and big wooded park)

Costs wise, its about the same..... Ohio might actually be cheaper, but not sure, more dependent on where you are I guess. I'd stay in Ohio myself, but Texas isn't bad.... good people and its affordable. Its just Ohio is more pleasant despite the winters. (Which are mild compared to Wisconsin/Minnesota if you life in Central Ohio or south)

Good luck with whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: