Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 PM

5 posts, read 26,874 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Texas from Utah. I've been really interested in Flower Mound but have heard a little bit of negative vibe about Marcus High School. Nothing in particular, just that people "prefer" FMHS over MHS....anyone out there have any opinions on that or why that is...some of the houses I really like would go to Marcus but now I'm a little leary. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 AM

52 posts, read 230,243 times
I live in Flower Mound and both are great schools. I have not heard anything negative about Marcus HS. Flower Mound High School is newer which some people prefer. Eventually they are planning to bulid another high school in Flower Mound. It will be located at 2499 and Spinks but I think it will be a while before it is bulit.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,776,039 times
Maybe just a little rivalry?

Check out this video made by Flower Mound high schoolers - I think it's creative and possibly the typical high school scene:

MySpaceTV: Flow Mo by Parker: The Man Who Never Died

Old 10-13-2007, 11:53 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,167,145 times
Marcus HS is a terrific school...besides the northern parts of Flower Mound, it also serves Highland Village. You won't be disappointed in either school there...

Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 PM

382 posts, read 955,686 times
Our two sons graduated from Marcus as we lived in Highland Village. Great high school and area to live and raise a family.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:27 PM

133 posts, read 535,231 times
I live in Highland Village, and I graduated from Marcus last year. It's definitely a really good school in terms of the education; I loved nearly every single one of my teachers.

I'm not sure what the negative comments are about the high school; the only thing I could think of is that there's a supposed "drug problem". People make it out to have this rampant use of hard drugs (there was this ridiculous article in the paper claiming that you couldn't walk down the corridor without being offered cocaine... it's about as far away from the truth as you can get). Sure, some students smoke pot, but Flower Mound and every other high school in the country has that problem too. You don't enocounter drug usage unless you really search for it.

I loved my four years at Marcus, and I would really recommend the school to anyone. Flower Mound kids always seemed a little... uppity towards the Marcus kids, but then again, I heard FMHS views Marcus in exactly the same way! Hah!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 AM
JLO

86 posts, read 213,434 times
Hi:

I was in the same situation. We are moving to Flower Mound from the Carolinas. My realtor was kind enough to take me over to Marcus High School so I could see for myself. My realtor's son graduated from and grandchildren both go to Lewisville ISD.

When I walked into Marcus, it seemed a little older. It didn't have its own football stadium (but that was ok with me as I won't let my boys play). But, let me tell you ... that school certainly has pride in its band. I was guided around by a woman from the guidance office who was wonderful. She had tears in her eyes when she spoke of the school pride and particularly all the hard work and honors achieved by the "band kids."
I also walked into a goverment class where they were filling out forms to decide if they were Republican or Democrat and I had a little chuckle ... do they know where they live?

Really, all I wanted to say was that I walked away with a good feeling. On the ratings chart, Marcus came in as Academically Acceptable. FLower Mound HS is Recognized. According to my tour guide at Marcus, the principal was upset by this. According to her, a lot of the (ELS) English as a second language students were transfered to Marcus for special classes and their scores were factored in. There was a shift in more special ed. students going to Marcus. That affects ratings. But know this, having grown up with a mom in the school system (guidance councelor) you can't judge a school by its scores alone. So many things factor in.
My impression of Marcus was that it was a good school. The kids were quiet and well behaved. They interacted in class. The band was phenomenal ...

So, if you're looking for a house in Bridlewood ... I say go for it. (But don't buy the house I'm looking at. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM

22 posts, read 110,037 times
I attended Marcus from 96-00 and went into the experience with a poor attitude. By the time I graduate I could look back and realize that I received a far better education than the one received by the people I grew up with. Marcus has been a national Blue Ribbon School multiple times and athletically has multiple state titles in sports ranging from football to swimming and cross country.

As for Flower Mound being a more "recognized" school academically, this does have somewhat to do with Marcus offering certain cirriculums that aren't available at other LISD campuses (at least FMHS or LHS). In actuality, either FMMHS or FMHS serve their students very well.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 26,874 times
Thanks for all the responses. Like I said, no one ever said whay Marcus wasn't as good...just that most people wanted to go to FMHS. So, having heard nothing really bad, I'm sure either school would be great!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,022 times
Marcus is definately the choice over FMHS if you have a band kid or think you will some day. In addition to just winning their 2nd consecutive state marching championship (a rare feat) and having past concert honor bands, they have a 9-time national championship drumline. FMHS band is not even in the same category. Even FMHS kids know and admit this. FMHS does have newer walls though. Any claim that MHS kids use drugs at a higher rate than FMHS kids is just some south town folks trying to feel superior about themselves. Marcus is schedule to get their own stadium in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas