Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM

383 posts, read 737,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
I must say that doesn't seem to be the experience of the gay couples I know, or my experience when I am out with them. I also have friends who have found that many times more fundamentalist believing acquaintences who accepted their relationship, became much less tolerant once kids were involved.

The fact is, without getting into who is right or wrong, I imagine most people would not want to live in an area where their neighbors believe their relationship is morally wrong. I also imagine that many people who feel they don't display that feeling, display it unknowingly and inadvertently.
I am actually sad to hear that and very surprised if it really is the case.

I worked in media for a long time and being straight was pretty much seen as an 'alternative lifestyle choice'.

Gays are everywhere - it is a simple fact. White straight Christians are not the majority of Texas if you look at the stats.

When people look at modern day Texas they need to check their assumptions at the door.

That said I have met a lot of gays who like to pretend like they are persecuted. And I can relate to that because I used to ride sports bikes (motorcycles). We all used to dress up in leather Moderator cut: see note I'm talking armored track kit here and moan about how all the evil 'cagers' were trying to kill us. They weren't trying to kill us all, they just had no idea that we were hanging off their 5 and could do 30-60 mph in under 1 second...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-07-2012 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: absolutely no notes to mods in the forum per TOS - send me a DM only!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Advice: work from the inside out instead of looking to alter your external environment to get closer to places that support your own viewpoint.

All in all, people have a right not to accept your lifestyle, or mine or anyone elses. In the end though, it's how I feel about their opinion that matters, not their actual opinion. If I were gay with kids, Screw them! I think for some people they just don't want it in their face, and these days the reality is it is. I mean if you didn't like fried food and someone constantly tried to convince you to eat fried food it becomes annoying.

Bottom line people don't have to accept anything they don't want to, but they shouldn't be rude and impolite. Or in your case have to endure a glaringly obvious rude neighbor If they are, it's not a bad idea to try and control how you feel about it before you pick up sticks.

Too many people today trying to change their environment around them rather than just change themselves to adapt a little.
Sorry, but I disagree with everything you said there. Ev-e-ry-thing except ONE thing: People DO have a right to disapprove of your lifestyle.

People like the OP also have the right to seek out an area where they will not feel harassed, intimidated, or threatened by a neighbor's behavior. Even if he isn't directly harassing them, who wants to live next door to someone you think is an intolerant Moderator cut: language if you don't have to?

Why should THEY be the ones to suck it up? Because they're gay and therefore the minority? BS. They're not trying to deny their neighbor his voice, they just don't want to be confronted with it on their own doorstep day in and day out.

I'm not sure you realize this, but there are still people in Texas whose views on homosexuality are, simply put, astonishingly Neanderthal.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-09-2012 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,842,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with everything you said there. Ev-e-ry-thing except ONE thing: People DO have a right to disapprove of your lifestyle.

People like the OP also have the right to seek out an area where they will not feel harassed, intimidated, or threatened by a neighbor's behavior. Even if he isn't directly harassing them, who wants to live next door to someone you think is an intolerant a-hole if you don't have to?

Why should THEY be the ones to suck it up? Because they're gay and therefore the minority? BS. They're not trying to deny their neighbor his voice, they just don't want to be confronted with it on their own doorstep day in and day out.

I'm not sure you realize this, but there are still people in Texas whose views on homosexuality are, simply put, astonishingly Neanderthal.
Well I am not sure I give a rats behind if you agree, but so-be-it. Who said anyone was being threatened, or harassed? You always take it one step outside the reality..Someone puts a few signs up and acts like a tool and that harassing and threatening? Not like they were anti-gay signs. Someone feels like someone is being hostile because they put signs out of political religious affiliations and that's somehow implies they don't like gays. Goes to my point that whats wrong with the world today is how people define themselves these days. Which includes gay folks. Who cares if you gay, liberal, conservative etc..As long as you're a nice person!!!

My question is, why in the sam-hell didn't the OP know this about the suburb "vibe" prior to making one of the largest financial investments they will probably ever make in their life there? Pretty straight forward that most suburbs (not just in Texas) aren't going to exactly offer a warm loving embrace of this lifestyle choice. Sorry for being presumptuous, but they HAD to have known this. Now some guy with political signs is at fault for being allegedly hostile and "threatening". Please...

I am not defending the guy with the signs, I think anyone who has to advertise that crap on their lawn is a dope too. Moderator cut: Off-Topic But lets be serious here..Are there any other examples the OP can give? I mean maybe I am missing something, just doesn't seem like a reason to run away, especially since they had to have known people were going to look twice.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Off-Topic for both this thread and forum

Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Well I am not sure I give a rats behind if you agree, but so-be-it. Who said anyone was being threatened, or harassed? You always take it one step outside the reality..Someone puts a few signs up and acts like a tool and that harassing and threatening? Not like they were anti-gay signs. This is the problem with the world, people feel like someone is being hostile because they put signs out of political religious affiliations and that's somehow implies they don't like gays. Goes to my point that whats wrong with the world today is how people define themselves these days. Which includes gay folks. Who cares if you gay, liberal, conservative etc..As long as you're a nice person!!!

My question is, why in the sam-hell didn't the OP know this about the suburb "vibe" prior to making one of the largest financial investments they will probably ever make in their life there? Pretty straight forward that most suburbs (not just in Texas) aren't going to exactly offer a warm loving embrace of this lifestyle choice. Sorry for being presumptuous, but they HAD to have known this. Now some guy with political signs is at fault for being allegedly hostile and "threatening". Please...

I am not defending the guy with the signs, I think anyone who has to advertise that crap is a dope too. Moderator cut: Off-Topic But lets be serious here..
I didn't say he was overtly hostile and threatening, but they find it unpleasant to live next door to him. That is reason enough to move and they don't need your approval to do it.

As for them doing their research...uh...did you know about your neighbors' politics before moving in? I sure didn't.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Off-Topic for discussion in this thread and forum

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,842,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I didn't say he was overtly hostile and threatening, but they find it unpleasant to live next door to him. That is reason enough to move and they don't need your approval to do it.

As for them doing their research...uh...did you know about your neighbors' politics before moving in? I sure didn't.

Moderator cut: orphaned

And no I didn't know the individual political leanings of my neighbors, or the fact one of them is a COMPLETE and total buffoon. What I did know when I purchased in my neighborhood is what it wasn't. Wasn't place where I would be living amongst people who might not accept me.

For the purposes of example: if I hated neighbors in general, quiet-type, reclusive etc, I probably wouldn't move myself into the epicenter of a suburban neighborhood where the homes are on top of one another, or to a place I had to share with anyone (e.g. Condo). I might move to a place where I had space, privacy and couldn't see or have any neighbors, which would provide me with the benefit of avoiding something I don't like. No?

Not saying the OP doesn't deserve to live in a place where their kids can get the same things as straight folks at all. I believe we all want the same things, generally. Just that they HAD to know someone might balk, so just live your life in your house and focus on your kids. Screw the vibe Moderator cut: Off-Topic. They could move to a more "accepting" place and find a gay neighbor who isn't nice as well.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-09-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned

And no I didn't know the individual political leanings of my neighbors, or the fact one of them is a COMPLETE and total buffoon. What I did know when I purchased in my neighborhood is what it wasn't. Wasn't place where I would be living amongst people who might not accept me.

For the purposes of example: if I hated neighbors in general, quiet-type, reclusive etc, I probably wouldn't move myself into the epicenter of a suburban neighborhood where the homes are on top of one another, or to a place I had to share with anyone (e.g. Condo). I might move to a place where I had space, privacy and couldn't see or have any neighbors, which would provide me with the benefit of avoiding something I don't like. No?

Not saying the OP doesn't deserve to live in a place where their kids can get the same things as straight folks at all. I believe we all want the same things, generally. Just that they HAD to know someone might balk, so just live your life in your house and focus on your kids. Screw the vibe Moderator cut: Off-Topic. They could move to a more "accepting" place and find a gay neighbor who isn't nice as well.

Well skids, sometimes you just have to roll the dice and realize that everywhere you go, you run the risk of someone not liking you or approving of your "lifestyle".

Personally, I refuse to blame the OP here. Refuse.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-09-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 66,119,271 times
OK folks, time to take a breather. It's not the OP's fault so take a step back and get on topic, please.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 PM

308 posts, read 642,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
As a rule the burbs of Dallas are going to be more gay friendly than those by Fort Worth.
That's a pretty ignorant comment.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM

325 posts, read 760,403 times
Only thing I checked out was making sure there were no registered sex offenders in the neighborhood or anywhere near the schools. Beyond that, there's not much else you could do if you're buying a new house, since the developers aren't allowed to give out information about the residents. You can go door to door and introduce yourself ahead of time (new or used house), but many people aren't comfortable doing that.

Then, of course, there's always the wonders of data mining from FB and other sources:

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-09-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 PM

13,021 posts, read 13,543,490 times
I'm sorry the OP has such an Moderator cut: language for a neighbor.

I'm as conservative a hetero as they come - married 45 years - and don't personally care for the gay lifestyle, but do think tolerance isn't going to hurt anyone. Live & let live.

Wouldn't bother me if a gay couple of either gender lived next door with a passel of kids - as long as their pets don't bark much or crap on my lawn.

50 years ago I thought differently, but people do evolve their thinking & opinions.

Hope the OP can find a friendly neighborhood to raise their kids.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-09-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas