Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM

61 posts, read 156,222 times

Advertisements

A new elementary named Lindsay will open next year. It will be located at north 121, McKinney. The complete rezoning decision will be posted this fall. Currently, Starcreek and Shaddock Park communities will be rezoned to the new school. http://www.allenisd.org/cms/lib/TX01...3%20Master.pdf

"The school is located along Wilford Drive and Berkley Drive in McKinney just south of McKinney Ranch Parkway."

From Allen ISD facebook:
"Here's the word on attendance boundaries. The Board will decide on a process for changing boundaries in August. That process will then run for several months. New school boundaries will probably not be announced until November or December. This is the same timeline that has been used for other elementary school openings.

Anybody have any thoughts on this new school? My Realtor has concerns since there is a lot of investment properties nearby feeding to this new school. We don't know if he is over reacting or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
My concern (if you lived in StarCreek/ Shaddock Park area) would be that the kids would be zoned to Lindsey next year (which would be a beating going across the highway), but as the area around Stacy continues to grow, and they will eventually get their own elementary in that area, and then the kids will be re-zoned again. Potentially three different schools within the elementary years for the younger kids starting elementary now.

On a personal level, I think it is huge being able to walk to school during the elementary years, and really makes for a great sense of community (whether you have kids or not) when the elem school is a focal/central point in the neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Most of the city limits of McKinney in an area bounded by 121, Ridge, McKinney Ranch and Lake Forest is Allen ISD. There is a lot of development going on in this corner and needs an elementary school. If the Star Creek/Shaddock Park folks have to cross 121 for this, consider that the neighborhoods on the McKinney side are already having to cross 121 to get to school currently. As this area continues to fill in, I am sure there will be room for an elementary south of 121 for this area as well. Until then, someone will have to cross 121.

Almost all housing in this area of McKinney and in the areas south of 121 in Allen have been built in the last 5 years or so. Don't know what the realtor would call investment housing in all of this. There are apartments on the McKinney side, they are all very new as well.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 AM

My older one will start school in 2014, only a year after this new school opens. My little one will start in 2016. We don't know how this new school will perform. My Realtor is on a conservative side. We sacrifice our commute with better school in Allen. But the new school will add a lot of uncertainty. When another new school will be built south of 121 in the future, my kids might move to middle school already. He suggests us to look somewhere else. But we do like those area. Should we listen to our Realtor? Or should we take the risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
My concern (if you lived in StarCreek/ Shaddock Park area) would be that the kids would be zoned to Lindsey next year (which would be a beating going across the highway), but as the area around Stacy continues to grow, and they will eventually get their own elementary in that area, and then the kids will be re-zoned again. Potentially three different schools within the elementary years for the younger kids starting elementary now.

On a personal level, I think it is huge being able to walk to school during the elementary years, and really makes for a great sense of community (whether you have kids or not) when the elem school is a focal/central point in the neighborhood.

Last edited by sunball; 07-31-2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM

37 posts, read 125,990 times
Aside from the crossing 121 issue, I'm pretty confident this won't be a big deal. All those homes/kids are already in one of the elementary schools over on the north west side of Allen, and all those schools are highly rated. So I wouldn't expect any difference in school quality.

And while I live in Allen (Starcreek actually), and really like the city and school district - if you need to commute a long way, maybe you should look somewhere closer to your work. There are plenty of good districts and areas to consider if you are having doubts because of this school thing...

Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM

Commute will not be fun but according to my co-works living in West Allen, it's manageable.
I am glad you come from StarCreek, do you know what's the parents' reaction to this coming rezone? Especially whose with elementary kids? Thanks!

Crossing a big busy HWY for elementary really makes no sense at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingjones View Post
Aside from the crossing 121 issue, I'm pretty confident this won't be a big deal. All those homes/kids are already in one of the elementary schools over on the north west side of Allen, and all those schools are highly rated. So I wouldn't expect any difference in school quality.

And while I live in Allen (Starcreek actually), and really like the city and school district - if you need to commute a long way, maybe you should look somewhere closer to your work. There are plenty of good districts and areas to consider if you are having doubts because of this school thing...

Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM

These ISD lines are so arbitrary, why has no one sought to align them with the communities they are in by now? Why wouldn't this patch of McKinney north of 121 be in McKinney ISD anyway?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 PM

I just called Allen ISD and was told they don't have any proposal to build any new elementary school now since Allen is almost built out. Lindsay elementary is the last elementary.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
These ISD lines are so arbitrary, why has no one sought to align them with the communities they are in by now?
Yeah, because those folks in Lake Highlands would be so thrilled to become part of Dallas ISD.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Yeah, because those folks in Lake Highlands would be so thrilled to become part of Dallas ISD.
The discussion was on districts in Collin County. Nothing with the reputation of DISD in this neck of the woods to get up in arms about.

It is one thing to change a district that is already developed and people have invested in a community because of the school district. But all of this area in Allen and McKinney was total farmland a decade ago. Why couldn't the ISD lines have been redrawn to accomodate changes like a two lane state highway being changed into 12 lanes of tollway and access road? Why couldn't the ISD lines have changed before the development happened?

Anyone have a more reasoned, less snarky answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas