Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 AM

7 posts, read 11,226 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a 25 year old mixed (African American / Caucasian) single woman relocating from Tampa, FL to Dallas. I am very familiar with the Uptown / Oak Lawn area of Dallas, but am considering looking for something a little more suburban yet fun, so any surrounding area recommendations (i.e. Irving, Las Colinas, Grapevine, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. I have a small puppy who would be leaving a giant backyard behind so I would like to be close to outdoor activities. Bar, restaurants and entertainment doesn't have to be within walking distance, but I would like somewhere chill and cool where I can meet other single young professionals. My office would be located in Arlington right off of I-30 so I'm not opposed to a 20 to 30 minute commute, but ideally I would like to be able to go home for lunch to check on the puppy, but that is not an absolute must have. I definitely do not want to live in Arlington. I will be renting and want to stay under a $1500 budget which include utilities as well. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,396,090 times
I'd look into Fort Worth's West 7th area. There are no fun suburbs (for young adults) near the area of your job.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 AM

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've never been to Ft. Worth, spent years visiting Dallas, but never Ft. Worth.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,842,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I'd look into Fort Worth's West 7th area. There are no fun suburbs (for young adults) near the area of your job.
Yeah, the only suburbs that may be fun would be north of Dallas. Not much west of town in the way of fun for young adults.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 AM

But what about the surrounding areas I mentioned? One of my best friends has lived in Dallas for years and said Irving, Las Colinas etc are really nice and also provide nice entertainment for singles. She said she was always going out there even when she lived in Uptown.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,842,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks2 View Post
But what about the surrounding areas I mentioned? One of my best friends has lived in Dallas for years and said Irving, Las Colinas etc are really nice and also provide nice entertainment for singles. She said she was always going out there even when she lived in Uptown.
Yeah, Las Collinas is really nice. Lots of young people live there. The commute to Arlington would be pretty easy from there.

Delicious Indian food in that area too!!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,187,558 times
I was going to recommend Las Colinas and it's a fairly easy drive into Dallas when you want it. Some people find Las Colinas a bit sterile and corporate but it is nice. And, yes, good from all over the world in Irving/Las Colinas.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 AM

472 posts, read 1,102,670 times
I would say that the West 7th has gotten to be like Uptown / West Village only with occasional cowboy boots and a TCU crowd rather than SMU.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Any recommendations on rentals? Best apartment complex?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks2 View Post
I live in Las Colinas. There are MANY young professionals here. You should be fine living in this area. Lots of dining and shopping options. Good diversity with many ethnic backgrouds represented. Also a nice mix of people from all over the U.S. (a lot of Californians) and the World.

It's a relatively easy commute to North Arlington. Take Highway 161 to 183 to 360 and you're there in about 30 mins (depending on traffic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas