Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these best summarizes your perspective (see paragraphs below for more guidance)?
The unions have brought their company to its knees. Down with labor unions; up with management! 15 45.45%
American Airlines’ employees did not cause this bankruptcy! 7 21.21%
Compromise and teamwork: there’s no better way to set the course for the future! 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,436,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Until you can provide sources that contradict the numbers, you're just sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LALALALALA".

I mean, come on now. If the NYT just made these numbers up out of thin air, they would have been torn apart.
If you doubt the NYT has a slant on news you are not reading nor listening to all the sources. Anyone who uses the politically charged term tax loopholes best define exactly what they consider a loophole. If the GAAP is to deduct the cost of producing an income for revenues to get to profit then its not a tax loophole. NYT when they are carrying water for the left short cuts things and isnt definitive which makes me suspect their stories when I do not know the specifics like I do in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,999,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If you doubt the NYT has a slant on news you are not reading nor listening to all the sources. Anyone who uses the politically charged term tax loopholes best define exactly what they consider a loophole. If the GAAP is to deduct the cost of producing an income for revenues to get to profit then its not a tax loophole. NYT when they are carrying water for the left short cuts things and isnt definitive which makes me suspect their stories when I do not know the specifics like I do in this case.
What's the correct phrase for "tax loophole"?

Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 PM

350 posts, read 868,815 times
Quote:
The link we're discussing is a calculator based on widely agreed upon numbers. How can you add a liberal "slant" to numbers?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,817,117 times

MOD Note: Reminder all, national politics cannot be discussed in this local
............... Dallas Forum. And, unless you want this thread moved to the
............... Political & Controversies Forum, you'll return to the topic of
............... this thread, i.e., American Airlines Bankruptcy.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 PM

105 posts, read 293,816 times
Yeah, folks, seeing as AMR is one of the largest employers in the metroplex, I was hoping to hear more of what people are thinking about this big turn of events. I'd like to learn more -- about the events themselves, and about how my fellow metroplex citizens perceive the events. I'm actually surprised to see that there isn't more support for the labor unions on this forum. (Of course, I don't know the demographic that posts here.) I was guessing that, for the first time in decades, because of current events around the country and around the world, there would be more support and more empathy for labor than there has been in my lifetime.

If you have knowledge of the bankruptcy proceedings or strong opinions on the subject, I'd love to hear more!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,787,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleLife2 View Post
Yeah, folks, seeing as AMR is one of the largest employers in the metroplex, I was hoping to hear more of what people are thinking about this big turn of events. I'd like to learn more -- about the events themselves, and about how my fellow metroplex citizens perceive the events. I'm actually surprised to see that there isn't more support for the labor unions on this forum. (Of course, I don't know the demographic that posts here.) I was guessing that, for the first time in decades, because of current events around the country and around the world, there would be more support and more empathy for labor than there has been in my lifetime.

If you have knowledge of the bankruptcy proceedings or strong opinions on the subject, I'd love to hear more!
I have sympathy for labor, but not AAs unions. Talk about unions gone bad.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,652,775 times
Quote:
Also the US taxes world wide corporate income not just US as other civilized countries do.
Well, no, not exactly. The US only taxes "worldwide" income on corporations that operate pass-thru entities overseas (essentially "branches" or "partnerships") NOT on foreign subsidiaries (controlled foreign corporations or "CFCs" for short). Income from foreign subsidiaries is only taxed when it is repatriated to the US, and is eligible for a foreign tax credit (essentially, a credit for all foreign income taxes paid up to the US tax percentage. They don't get a refund if Elbonia's effective tax rate on income repatriated to the US is higher than the US rate, as we'd be effectively subsidizing Elbonia).

There is an exception to this for "subpart F" income (don't ask), which is deemed constructively paid back to the US even if it isn't (Subpart F was passed back in the early 60's IIRC as a response to some games MNC's played). But nowadays companies can get around Subpart F and play similar games to what they used to do.

Plus, in terms of PERSONAL income taxes, which are responsible for bringing in far more federal government receipts than corporate taxes, income taxes in the US are far lower than most other industrialized nations. And yes, effective tax rates on high AGI taxpayers are also quite low relative to most of the rest of the industrialized world as well.

Overall, federal receipts as a percentage of GDP are at their lowest levels since the very early 50's.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 AM

Also, my standard response to any question about "who is to blame for [name of airline]'s woes, Unions or Management?" is YES!!!

Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,436,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Well, no, not exactly. The US only taxes "worldwide" income on corporations that operate pass-thru entities overseas (essentially "branches" or "partnerships") NOT on foreign subsidiaries (controlled foreign corporations or "CFCs" for short). Income from foreign subsidiaries is only taxed when it is repatriated to the US, and is eligible for a foreign tax credit (essentially, a credit for all foreign income taxes paid up to the US tax percentage. They don't get a refund if Elbonia's effective tax rate on income repatriated to the US is higher than the US rate, as we'd be effectively subsidizing Elbonia).

There is an exception to this for "subpart F" income (don't ask), which is deemed constructively paid back to the US even if it isn't (Subpart F was passed back in the early 60's IIRC as a response to some games MNC's played). But nowadays companies can get around Subpart F and play similar games to what they used to do.

Plus, in terms of PERSONAL income taxes, which are responsible for bringing in far more federal government receipts than corporate taxes, income taxes in the US are far lower than most other industrialized nations. And yes, effective tax rates on high AGI taxpayers are also quite low relative to most of the rest of the industrialized world as well.

Overall, federal receipts as a percentage of GDP are at their lowest levels since the very early 50's.
My point is we need jobs and this tax on corporations with foreign operations makes us less competitive as does the tax rate on corporations. The jobs we lose cost us individual taxes even at the current rates. We also tax income individuals earn overseas unlike other countries. It smells like a corporate money grab to me with not enough attention to our competitive position for us companies and jobs as well they could provide here.

I suspect this tax treatment did not hit AA however as I understand the net income of the industry is a loss over the life of this industry.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 03-31-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
My point is we need jobs and this tax on corporations with foreign operations makes us less competitive as does the tax rate on corporations. The jobs we lose cost us individual taxes even at the current rates. We also tax income individuals earn overseas unlike other countries. It smells like a corporate money grab to me with not enough attention to our competitive position for us companies and jobs as well they could provide here.
*sigh*

Corporations (at least those with any halfway decent tax departments, which would include "any corporation with respectable overseas operations") only have pass-thru entities in foreign countries to the extent they generate LOSSES which can then flow through to their US tax return. Otherwise they will segregate lower-taxed foreign income overseas most of the time.

THBS, well run corporations do a lot of tax planning but they most definitely do NOT let the tax tail wag the operational dog. If you think that by lowering corporate income tax rates it'll suddenly cause scads of jobs to flow to the US, you'd be mistaken. The biggest drivers of jobs overseas has been the generally "flatter" world and the ability to therefore take advantage of huge disparities in labor costs in various countries. However, there are multiple limits to that (for example, countries which have outsourced to China for cheaper labor have found that, SURPRISE, many Chines companies have been essentially engaging in outright theft of intellectual capital. Plus, labor costs in china have been increasing as that country's economy has improved).

As taxing worldwide income - again, A) the US allows a foreign tax CREDIT for income taxes paid in foreign countries, and 2) our personal income tax rates are generally LOWER than those in most other industrialized countries. (mainly because most other industrialized nations have greater government "social services" programs than the US, for better or for worse. The "for better or worse" is a related but different discussion.)

I don't want to go on about taxes too much in a thread on AMR's bankruptcy, but let's just say it's a topic that's vaguely familiar to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas