Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 AM

5 posts, read 12,017 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Our son was just admitted to Pre-K at Lamplighter, Parish, Good Shepherd, and St. Alcuin. While we like all of the schools, we're not sure St. Alcuin's approach is best for our little guy, so we have narrowed the field down to the other three.

Our ultimate goal (at least, right now) is St. Mark's or Greenhill (we were waitlisted at Greenhill this year). However, we are also open minded and want to see how our son's personality and interests evolve, so our goal may change.

My question: since we like Lamplighter, Parish, and Good Shepherd, what is your take on all three schools? If you have first-hand experience with any of them, would you mind sharing? Which one might help position him best for admission to Greenhill or St. Mark's (if we continue on that path)? If you had to make the choice (or if you already have), which school would you choose and why?

Thanks so much for the advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times
I am not sure where your son stands, but our son who is among the youngest in a PreK at a private, still learns more at home from us or from his computer games than he learns from school. Things like writing and art he does get from school which we do not do. And he gets to run around a lot outside and they do not make him take a nap. So he likes it a lot. LOL.

I spend an hour each night reading with him, taking turns. In the last 9 mos he has gone from level 1 readers to 3rd grade chapter books. This summer we will start on Chemistry and ALEKS/Singapore math. He has always loved music and really applies himself - currently takes private piano lessons and does recitals with 2d graders.

Keep in mind that in his PreK they are still going over letter recognition.

So what I am saying, it matters more what you do with him for one hour each day or with private teachers - than a full day at a Pre K that is not specifically and constantly targeted to his needs. This is something to consider when you think about allocating your money and your time.

Both St Marks and GH are great schools. A typical bright boy will probably have a better chance of getting into St Marks than GH due to GH having fewer slots for boys. The value of the "feeder" schools is that they can prepare a kid to present themselves like some privates might expect. But, is that who your son is? I know three young men who were home schooled or in publics before they went to St Marks.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM

64 posts, read 279,197 times
Chemistry? Seriously??

Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 AM

343 posts, read 804,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boymama View Post
Hi everyone,

Our son was just admitted to Pre-K at Lamplighter, Parish, Good Shepherd, and St. Alcuin. While we like all of the schools, we're not sure St. Alcuin's approach is best for our little guy, so we have narrowed the field down to the other three.

Our ultimate goal (at least, right now) is St. Mark's or Greenhill (we were waitlisted at Greenhill this year). However, we are also open minded and want to see how our son's personality and interests evolve, so our goal may change.

My question: since we like Lamplighter, Parish, and Good Shepherd, what is your take on all three schools? If you have first-hand experience with any of them, would you mind sharing? Which one might help position him best for admission to Greenhill or St. Mark's (if we continue on that path)? If you had to make the choice (or if you already have), which school would you choose and why?

Thanks so much for the advice!
In my opinion, Lamplighter is the best choice. All 3 are pretty good options but Lamplighter has basically solidified itself as a feeder school into St. Marks and Greenhill. That's not to say all kids from Lamplighter get in their but as long as they are good students and have good ISEE scores they have a good shot. Our kids went through Lamplighter and got acceptances into Greenhill, St Marks, ESD, etc. Let me know if you have any questions

Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation101 View Post
Chemistry? Seriously??
He wanted to know why certain balloons float and others do not. That led to discussion on He and and the composition of air. He made the connection to steam and smoke rising then what was steam vs smoke and then what was fire. I showed him the periodic table and talked about chemical reactions. We went to a museum and he found a shirt with the periodic table on it and he wears it a lot. He wants to know what each element is. He keeps asking questions based on the answers I give him. So we will get a molecular set and work through a simple chemistry textbook.

This is no different than his collection of dinosaur books. He knows the names of hundreds of them. Or his knowledge of disney junior shows.

What would you do? Ignore him?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM

64 posts, read 279,197 times
No need to be antagonistic. I think it's great that he's intellectually curious and that you have the patience to respond.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM

100 posts, read 440,410 times
If you are concerned about St. Alcuin's approach, you should note that Lamplighter also has lots of Montessori elements. It's a great school with an amazing campus and has a great reputation. But our kiddo needed more structure, so we went with Meadowbrook over Lamplighter and have been very pleased. And Meadowbrook also feeds to St. Mark's, Greenhill, and the other usual suspects in North Dallas. You may want to check it out for future reference: Meadowbrook School Good luck with your choice.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM

263 posts, read 564,881 times
Lamplighter is known to be a feeder school so if thats your goal it may be your best bet. I have heard negative things about Parish from a parent who eventually switched to Good Shepard. Meadowbrook also has a wonderful reputation as does the daVinci school ( Welcome to The da Vinci School ).

Based on what I heard I would rank them in this order, but I dont have first hand experience.
Lamplighter
Good Shepard
Parish

Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 11,665 times
Does anyone know if Meadowbrook or Da Vinci School have after school care till 5:30/6:00 pm? I reserached their website, I think they either offer half day program or the program finish @ 2:30 pm in the afternoon for pre-k. If so, it won't be an option for us.

Anyone have any experience with St. Alcuin's? My goal is to get our DD into Hockaday or Greenhill eventually.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 PM

18 posts, read 33,383 times
Lamplighter allthe way ,if your end goal is Greenhill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas