Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which should I attend?
Greenhill 2 50.00%
ESD 0 0%
Stay where I am 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,222 times

Advertisements

Recently I applied to Greenhill and ESD. I live in the Dallas area (McKinney) and go to McKinney Boyd (9th grader) currently. Since it was so competitive to get in I was shocked to be accepted to both. The gifted program at my school is good and I love my teachers and have friends who I don't want to leave, but will of it is In my best interest. I would like a new style of education and Greenhill and ESD both offer this.
I can't decide which one to attend and I am really stressed over this decision, so any help, advice, or your opinion on which I should go to would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM

269 posts, read 863,150 times
In deciding whether to leave Boyd for ESD or Greenhill you first need to talk to your parents to be sure that attending private school isn't going to affect your parents' ability to contribute to your college fund. If the money for ESD or Greenhill is coming from your college fund, you should probably stay at Boyd since it sounds like you are generally happy there (and I assume that you are doing well academically since you were admitted to two good schools.) You don't want to end up with loans for college as a result of choosing private school.

You then also need to consider whether automatic admission to UT is important to you. If you hope for automatic admission to UT, it will be likely be easier for you to be in the top 8% at Boyd than at ESD or Greenhill.

Assuming that both of those questions lead you to decide that leaving Boyd is a good idea, I would suggest that you visit both schools and shadow a current student if you haven't done so already. Though most people on these boards would probably choose Greenhill for their own kids based strictly on academics and reputation in this situation, given the small size of the student body at both schools, you need to be sure that the environment and classmates are a good fit for you.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
1. What different "style" of education do you want that Greenhill and ESD offer, but Boyd doesn't?

2. How will you get to & from school everyday? That is about a 45-75 min drive each direction, every day. Are your parents willing to drive you until you turn 16? Do they feel comfortable with a brand new 16 y/o driver driving on 75, Tollroad, 635, etc during rush hour traffic?

3. How will your parents pay for the expense of private school education? Be sure to add in all uniforms, trips, required & "encouraged" spending. Will this impact the amount of $ you have available for college? If so, I'd think twice about shelling out $20-30k for 3 years of private school if you'll have to take out loans to get through (possibly) private college - or public.

4. Where do you rank in your current class? Are you top 10 grad material? Top 10%? Your competition will be A LOT tougher at private school, particurly Greenhill, and you will be one of a number of elite students vs one of a handful at Boyd. (I know Boyd is good, but it's not like 20%++ of Boyd is NMSF every year, more like 1%). Will you have a greater chance to shine at Boyd for college admissions? You may want to talk to your college/guidance counselor for more insight.

5. I don't believe Greenhill or ESD rank the whole class - just the top 10 graduates- so % ranking shouldn't affect UT admissions, if that's your goal.....provided SATs & EC's are good. (Doubt that's a problem for you).

Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 PM

343 posts, read 804,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
1. What different "style" of education do you want that Greenhill and ESD offer, but Boyd doesn't?

2. How will you get to & from school everyday? That is about a 45-75 min drive each direction, every day. Are your parents willing to drive you until you turn 16? Do they feel comfortable with a brand new 16 y/o driver driving on 75, Tollroad, 635, etc during rush hour traffic?

3. How will your parents pay for the expense of private school education? Be sure to add in all uniforms, trips, required & "encouraged" spending. Will this impact the amount of $ you have available for college? If so, I'd think twice about shelling out $20-30k for 3 years of private school if you'll have to take out loans to get through (possibly) private college - or public.

4. Where do you rank in your current class? Are you top 10 grad material? Top 10%? Your competition will be A LOT tougher at private school, particurly Greenhill, and you will be one of a number of elite students vs one of a handful at Boyd. (I know Boyd is good, but it's not like 20%++ of Boyd is NMSF every year, more like 1%). Will you have a greater chance to shine at Boyd for college admissions? You may want to talk to your college/guidance counselor for more insight.

5. I don't believe Greenhill or ESD rank the whole class - just the top 10 graduates- so % ranking shouldn't affect UT admissions, if that's your goal.....provided SATs & EC's are good. (Doubt that's a problem for you).
Greenhill no longer ranks any students FYI.

This is very good insight. Greenhill is an excellent school and would be a much higher caliber academically so you have to decide if you can fit the mold there. Also, the commute would be rough indeed so you really need to decide if its worth it for the hefty sum of money. But if you did go to one I would recommend Greenhill. Good community, shorter commute (although still LONG), and better academically.
But if you got into both schools I am sure you would be happy at either

Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM

269 posts, read 863,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
At either Greenhill or ESD the top ten graduates basically constitute the top ten percent of the class. Current class rank at Boyd vs. likely standing at Greenhill/ESD should be a consideration if UT admission is a goal. As TC pointed out, the OP's standing is likely to fall at either Greenhill or ESD vs. Boyd.

Contrary to popular belief, not every graduate of even the elite privates gets into UT -- even with good test scores. The result of the top 10% (actually now top 8%) law is that 75% of seats in the incoming class are solely for auto admits. Another 10% of seats are allocated to out of state students, leaving only 15% of the seats in the incoming class for holistic in-state admits.

It seems like every couple of years there is a sad story in the DMN about a graduate of one of the elite privates who has SAT scores in the 2100+ range who doesn't get into UT. I personally know of at least two cases like this -- 2100+ SAT, GPA in the top 20%, good ECs not admitted to UT. One of these students was admitted to Georgetown, but not to UT.

Some of the non-ranking private schools also disclose to UT and A&M whether a student qualifies for auto admission without making that disclosure to the students themselves. Even in cases where the school doesn't disclose to UT/A&M the students who qualify for auto admission, ask the UT and A&M admissions reps and they will tell you that they can assess with a pretty high degree of accuracy where any student stands in their class based on the information that the private schools do provide and the applications of other students from that school to the institution. (Usually private schools disclose high, median and low GPA for the class to all colleges. ESD actually discloses the numbers of students within each grading band -- so for ESD figuring out class rank is pretty simple -- look at the GPA, look at the GPA distribution chart in the school profile and do a little elementary math. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas