Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM

20 posts, read 45,877 times

Advertisements

I was just accepted to UT Dallas for grad school. I'm not sure yet if I am accepting, but I have never been to Texas and was hoping to get a better idea of the area. How is Dallas for people in their young 20s? I know that the school is technically in Richardson...would I want to live there, or commute from Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 AM

67 posts, read 107,238 times
It's not a fabulous university town but It's economical, safe and diverse. I suggest to stay near your campus at least for first year. You will find entertainment as well but nothing to write home about. UTD is a good school and it's easy to adjust in student life.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 PM

393 posts, read 1,115,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioEnvy View Post
I was just accepted to UT Dallas for grad school. I'm not sure yet if I am accepting, but I have never been to Texas and was hoping to get a better idea of the area. How is Dallas for people in their young 20s? I know that the school is technically in Richardson...would I want to live there, or commute from Dallas?
I took a few undergraduate classes at UTD a few years ago (I'm about twice your age). I can't tell you much about social life for 20 year-olds, but my impression of UTD students is that they are serious students. I've had a lot of Collin College classes in which we students could keep up a banter with the professor, and the students seemed relaxed. The students at UTD never seem relaxed, though the professors don't seem to mind my banter. When I say something funny or perhaps even on-topic at Collin College, other students don't hesitate to jump into the conversation. At UTD, when I finish talking, all the other students are dead silent. They look at me, but give no indication of what they are thinking. I was pretty well behaved as a child, but at UTD, I feel like I'm the class cut-up.

My point is, if you are as serious as the other students, you might as well live on campus. You have recreation options, such as golf or swimming, etc. That part of Richardson doesn't have a whole lot else for socializing. It is fairly close to some semiconductor manufacturing facilities, such as Texas Instrument's "new" plant. Would you want to live in Dallas and commute? That depends on how much you hate commuting. I lived in Frisco and commuted for night classes to UTD. The traffic could be nightmarish, but I worked in Frisco, so I wasn't going to move next to UTD.

Last edited by Pooua; 02-04-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,849,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
I took a few undergraduate classes at UTD a few years ago (I'm about twice your age). I can't tell you much about social life for 20 year-olds, but my impression of UTD students is that they are serious students. I've had a lot of Collin College classes in which we students could keep up a banter with the professor, and the students seemed relaxed. The students at UTD never seem relaxed, though the professors don't seem to mind my banter. When I say something funny or perhaps even on-topic at Collin College, other students don't hesitate to jump into the conversation. At UTD, when I finish talking, all the other students are dead silent. They look at me, but give no indication of what they are thinking. I was pretty well behaved as a child, but at UTD, I feel like I'm the class cut-up.

My point is, if you are as serious as the other students, you might as well live on campus. You have recreation options, such as golf or swimming, etc. That part of Richardson doesn't have a whole lot else for socializing. It is fairly close to some semiconductor manufacturing facilities, such as Texas Instrument's "new" plant. Would you want to live in Dallas and commute? That depends on how much you hate commuting. I lived in Frisco and commuted for night classes to UTD. The traffic could be nightmarish, but I worked in Frisco, so I wasn't going to move next to UTD.
Which is why UTD will more than likely gain Tier 1 status soon....

Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 PM

148 posts, read 307,951 times
i love my classes at utd, especially this semester. my profs this semester are hilarious and fun. great way to end my last year of college.

audioenvy, what are you going into grad school for? the immediate surroundings are pretty boring. just restaurants and grocery stores. it's not that far to drive to fun places.

for the future, utd has plans of building a village type thing that will have shops and stuff. hope that develops sooner than later

Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
i love my classes at utd, especially this semester. my profs this semester are hilarious and fun. great way to end my last year of college.

audioenvy, what are you going into grad school for? the immediate surroundings are pretty boring. just restaurants and grocery stores. it's not that far to drive to fun places.

for the future, utd has plans of building a village type thing that will have shops and stuff. hope that develops sooner than later
How would the UTD village differ from the shops and restaurants already in the neighborhood?

The last time I was on campus, last year some time, I think, I saw a lot of construction through the middle of campus. I think the campus was getting a major overhaul at the time, but I don't know what the finished product is supposed to be.

I've met a few UTD profs, and they seem like pleasant-to-fun people. They are more laid-back than the students seemed to be.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Which is why UTD will more than likely gain Tier 1 status soon....
That is their mandate, under the Texas Constitution.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,638,503 times
I don't think UTD has much of a campus life like you would find at UT-Austin, SMU, A&M, etc. I do see the culture of the college changing but I am not sure they even want to have that kind of campus. You will find serious students with some beautiful new buildings.

The area right around UTD is okay. Pretty suburban with a lot of retail just a few miles away. For 20-ish "life" you might look at Addison, Uptown (Dallas) or the Village (an area of semi-connected apartments in Dallas). Lots of options, lots of 20-ish people and each close to lots of restaurants, bars, retail. I would think Uptown might be the furthest away from UTD at about 30 minutes.

You can search this forum for all 3 of those locations. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM

148 posts, read 307,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
How would the UTD village differ from the shops and restaurants already in the neighborhood?

The last time I was on campus, last year some time, I think, I saw a lot of construction through the middle of campus. I think the campus was getting a major overhaul at the time, but I don't know what the finished product is supposed to be.

I've met a few UTD profs, and they seem like pleasant-to-fun people. They are more laid-back than the students seemed to be.
Shops will be in walking distance instead of needing a car. It'll bring a more on campus community feel.

Here's the website for the finished construction parts. Campus Enhancement - The University of Texas at Dallas

Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM

20 posts, read 45,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
audioenvy, what are you going into grad school for?

Speech pathology. I guess that I should also ask if anyone happens to know anything about the program?

Thank you for all of the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas