Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 AM

13 posts, read 29,512 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job in the Las Colinas area and will be leaving my igloo and winter coats behind in Canada.

The realtor suggested these areas. Does anyone have any pros/cons about these areas wrt schools, shops/markets/parks, community? We really would like a 4 bedroom and a pool and stay around the 300K budget. Most of the houses we have seen need to be updated, but we are willing to put some $$$ to modernize it but we want to make sure we pick a house in the right neighborhood where the house will actually appreciate in value if we do it right.

We picked those areas because I wanted to be within a 15 -25 minute drive of where I work.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson82 View Post
we want to make sure we pick a house in the right neighborhood where the house will actually appreciate in value if we do it right.
welcome to Texas!

I think you can search these forums and find lots of threads about these communities. In general, Coppell is considered to have the better schools, however, finding a 4br with a pool might be more challenging. There are parts of Valley Ranch with Coppell schools, I think. I don't believe the Carrollton schools have a very good rating for the most part.

One word of caution - Dallas real estate market is pretty flat. If you are looking for a big appreciation in your home, you likely won't find it here. The city is so big and still has room to grow (spread out) that we don't see the kind of real estate appreciation that other cities might.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,351 times
If you're considering Carrollton and schools are an issue for you, look at North Carrollton, which is zoned for Lewisville schools. North Carrollton to Las Colinas will be a 20-30 minute commute.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,924 times
In your budget I would never consider Carrollton or Irving.Coppell would be a great option for a short commute.Colleyville would be my number one choice,with a slightly longer commute....

Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM

13 posts, read 29,512 times
Since I am new to the area, whats wrong with Carrolton or Irving? What does Colleyville have that makes it your number one choice?

I see it on the map but its on the other side of the airport from where I would work.

Any comments on valley ranch? We are used to having lots of parks near by and would like the same for the kids.

We could go up to 400K ... but would rather not.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
You can afford Coppell ISD (which includes parts of Valley Ranch, Irving, and Coppell of course) so you should live there if you have kids. It's hands down one of the best school districts in DFW and significantly better than Irving and Carrollton-Farmer's Branch ISDs.

Real estate market in Coppell is also one of the strongest in the metroplex due to schools, location, and being a suburb thst's about 95% built out (basically no new construction to compete with).

Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Spending near $300,000 in Carrollton or Irving does not make as much sense as spending it in Coppell or Colleyville.Colleyville has no apartments and is considered a highly desirable,safe area with high median home prices,good for resale.Colleyville borders the highly sought after Southlake. Most people would choose Colleyville or Coppell over Irving or Carrollton. From an investment stand point Colleyville or Coppell would be better choices.Colleyville and coppell do not have "bad" areas.Irving and Carrollton do.Home prices are lower.You have a much greater luxury market in Coppell and Colleyville than in Carrollton or Irving...

When you tour the areas you will be able to get a better idea of the "feel " and ambiance factor.

Last edited by CREW747; 01-11-2012 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
Don't select Colleyville. It is not a good commute for you.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 PM

Coppell would be a very good option .It has been a great area to live for a long time and has many nice ,mature neighborhoods with trees...

Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
I'd go with Coppell. Valley Ranch is filled with apartment homes...granted, many are nice apartment homes (I'm actively looking there myself), but for schools and buying Coppell really makes the most sense for you.

Rule out Carrollton unless you are going for LISD Schools. LISD schools on that end certainly aren't bad, but Coppell's are measurably better.

Irving outside of Valley Ranch is just a bad idea, unless you are looking at Hackberry Creek and that is out of your price range. And it has Irving schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas