Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 AM

12 posts, read 22,752 times

Advertisements

I am a single lady moving to dallas in a couple of months from london in the UK. My job will be based in Plano however Im hearing that Plano is very family orientated and I might find it quite boring. Is this true? Also would I be better living downtown Dallas and commuting to Plano for work every day? Is it possible to commute from Uptown Dallas or is that too far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,441,815 times
I commute from North Dallas (just below Plano) to Uptown every day, takes about 40-50 minutes by car via the tollway. Reverse commute would probably be easier/better though.

Plano is not a place I'd want to live if I wanted an active nightlife. Addison has several little casual hang-out kind of spots, but Uptown is where all the cool kids are these days

Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
Uptown to Plano would be about 15 to 20 miles, depending on origin and destination. During normal business rush hours the drive would be against usual rush hour traffic. From Uptown you would have easy access to the Dallas North Tollway or US75.

http://www.uptowndallas.net/

Last edited by Willsson; 12-13-2011 at 06:09 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,324,000 times
I drove from Uptown Dallas (a fun walkable neighborhood with lots of shops, restaurants, nightlife, and arts/ culture) to north Plano for 5 years. Took about 25 minutes AM and 30-35 minutes PM via the Tollroad. Tollroad costs about $5-6/day so figure that into your budget, but it is not a bad commute. If your job is on the east side of Plano (US 75), add about 5-10 minutes as 75 is a slower drive than the Tollroad.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 AM

ahh thats good so i dont have to live in Plano after all! Obviously I would have to retake my driving test in the Us so will have to rely on public transport until I pass. Is that possible or would I need to drive?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Also how is life in Dallas? hoping I like it I reckon its completely different to life in London

Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
DART.org - DART Rail System Map

DART.org - Fare and Pass Information

There's a DART Rail station in Uptown. On the linked map you'll see it on the Red Line as CityPlace. Check the map to see if there is a station near your workplace, or check the bus service for routes from a nearest rail station to your workplace. Plano is at the north end of the Red Line. Click on 'Downtown Plano' for additional info on that rail station. Dallas isn't really designed for mass transit, but being from London you'll understand the walking part, although 'walking' isn't really done in Dallas. The Bush Turnpike Station has a bus route for the Telecom corridor.

TxDPS - Apply for Driver License/ID card
Quote:
Requirements for All Applicants
All first time applicants for a Texas driver license must:
  1. Apply in person at a Texas driver license office.
  2. Present documents that verify your identity.
  3. Present documents that verify you are a U.S. citizen or have lawful presence. All information on each document must match. Additional documentation may be required to verify conflicting information, incomplete names, and date of birth.
There's more at the link

Ultimately, you will need to drive.

Last edited by Willsson; 12-13-2011 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,324,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_jadey View Post
ahh thats good so i dont have to live in Plano after all! Obviously I would have to retake my driving test in the Us so will have to rely on public transport until I pass. Is that possible or would I need to drive?
Depends on what side of Plano your job is. If it's on the Tollroad side (west Plano, including the corporations on Legacy Drive), there are no public transit options. If on the east (75) side, the DART rail train goes north to Parker Road, but not further north. From there, I'm not sure if there are many/any busses that go by office centers. Bottom line-> you're going to need to pass that driving test ASAP when you get here, or hire $50/each way taxis to get to and from work until you do.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,116,099 times
I wouldn't necessarily rule Plano out just yet. While it doesn't have the number of bars and such that the Uptown area does, there are quite a few bars around the Tollway/Legacy area or Preston/121 that stay open til 2am, and several other bars/restaurants on the Frisco side of 121 as well.

If you'll be working in Plano, having a short easy commute is a great thing to have. My advice would be to find a place somewhere in southwest Plano, near the Tollway. That would give you easy access to Addison (even more bars and nightlife) and Plano shopping, restaurants, and your work.

Or, if a little bit of a commute is ok with you, then I'd suggest Addison. Are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,441,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Depends on what side of Plano your job is. If it's on the Tollroad side (west Plano, including the corporations on Legacy Drive), there are no public transit options. If on the east (75) side, the DART rail train goes north to Parker Road, but not further north. From there, I'm not sure if there are many/any busses that go by office centers. Bottom line-> you're going to need to pass that driving test ASAP when you get here, or hire $50/each way taxis to get to and from work until you do.
If you're near DNT you can take the 210 bus from Jack Hatchell transit center to Addison transit center, then take 205 to Pearl @ McKinney or McKinnon @ Wolf - I do it every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas