Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times

Advertisements

It occurs to me that as the weather is getting colder now, we should stop watering our grass and foundation. How often do other folks water their grass and foundation in cooler weather? Any special precautions I should take with my sprinkler system in this weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
We have soaker hoses around the house to water the foundation year round. You still need to water your foundation in winter.

Naima

Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
We have soaker hoses around the house to water the foundation year round. You still need to water your foundation in winter.

Naima
That is true to a certain extent. The ground needs to be kept somewhat moist around the foundation, but with the colder temps, the ground doesn't dry out and crack nearly as fast as it does in the summer, and thus, a lot less water is needed.

At the most, you probably only need to make sure the foundation gets about 30 min of water from the soaker hose a month (with some rainfall making up the rest.)

To the OP, definitely use soaker hoses, instead of your sprinkler system. I saw water had frozen in a few spots this morning on my way to work, meaning it's cold enough already to burst your irrigation pipes if they are filled with water.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
We actually don't have soaker hoses so I'll have to make a point of picking them up. Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to shut my irrigation system off.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
That is true to a certain extent. The ground needs to be kept somewhat moist around the foundation, but with the colder temps, the ground doesn't dry out and crack nearly as fast as it does in the summer, and thus, a lot less water is needed.

At the most, you probably only need to make sure the foundation gets about 30 min of water from the soaker hose a month (with some rainfall making up the rest.)

To the OP, definitely use soaker hoses, instead of your sprinkler system. I saw water had frozen in a few spots this morning on my way to work, meaning it's cold enough already to burst your irrigation pipes if they are filled with water.
Err....it'd have to be a darn bit colder for a long time to freeze irrigation pipes at code they are ~ 6 inches deep. The ground hasn't frozen that deep in my memory. Most winters the ground does not freeze greater than 1/2 in or so at worst.

ETA were you talking about soaker hoses?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
The pipes themselves are supposed to be buried about 6 inches deep, but the heads that stick up can burst far more easily. In fact, my lot has an uneven slope along one side of the house, some heads were sticking up far more than others, to the extent that I eventually got some flush mounted heads which are 4 inches shorter that now stick up the same amount as the regular Rainbird heads.

Most likely we'd need to have a few days in a row of freezing temps to do damage, but you never know, and it doesn't make sense to risk it by running the sprinkler system when soaker hoses do the job and with less water wasted.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 77,353 times
Foundation soil, like trees, need to be watered year-round. It should need it much less, though. A rule of thumb is that if there is separation between the soil and the foundation, it needs to be watered.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
And keep in mind that you should get some of those stakes for the soaker hoses so they are pressed into the ground so the lawn mower can go right over them. Some people just place them right on the surface, but then they have to be moved every time you mow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: