Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 PM

741 posts, read 1,752,389 times

Advertisements

I have relocated to Dallas recently. Noticed that tolls especially in President George Bush Turnpike are automatically billed.

I passed through the Turnpike and did not pay tolls. My car is Florida registered and not Texas registered?

Would I need to call the customer service and intimate the same. I am not sure how many times I would have passed through the toll gates.

How does the toll system works. How to purchase the pass?

How to recharge the amount? Is there a minimum monthly payment required?

Please help!

Last edited by spalam01; 08-23-2011 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
The Toll agency will contact the FL DMV and get your information. It may take time, but it will happen, and they will add interest on it. Trust me.

You can purchase a toll tag North Texas Tollway Authority: Home and either have it draft an auto payment when your self selected minimum is reached or you can be responsible for "recharging" the card to whatever amount you desire.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I have relocated to Dallas recently. Noticed that tolls especially in President George Bush Turnpike are automatically billed.

I passed through the bridges and did not pay tolls. My car is Florida registered and not Tax registered?

Would I need to call the customer service and intimate the same. I am not sure how many times I would have passed through the toll gates.

How does the toll system works. How to purchase the pass?

How to recharge the amount? Is there a minimum monthly payment required?

Please help!
It's my understanding, told by a Toll person on the phone, they bill after like 5 trips through the toll road. As for tags, just stop by s toll store or certain grocery stores. It's been a while but I originally used a credit card and put 40.00 down. They would wait until that 40.00 was used up and then bill the card for an additional 40.00. Again, it's been a while since I've messed with it.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 62,046 times
Maybe with Florida but not with North Carolina (although I suspect they don't track down any out of state plates). My brother-in-law has been here for over two years as a student (so legally having out of state NC tags) and has driven toll roads the whole time never being billed in any way. He actually used to stop and pay the cash tolls but that is not an option in most places now.

By the way, I just had a rental car for the entire month of July an probably racked up $60 worth of tolls during that time. I am still waiting for a bill on that.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdamon View Post
By the way, I just had a rental car for the entire month of July an probably racked up $60 worth of tolls during that time. I am still waiting for a bill on that.
Yikes,
Hope you read your rental agreement carefully. Unless things have changed very recently, many rental companies pay the zip cash bill, but have a clause in the rental contract which later allows them to bill you HUGE amounts for it (National Once charged $80 per toll). It often took months for them to be billed, then pay, then bill you. There was talk of finding a way to end that practice, hope they did.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
^
ALSO for those with out of state plates etc...
The tolls will catch up to you eventually. NTTA charges $25 per toll late fee on ALL tolls. So your original bill could be as low as $4.00, but if that consisted of 6 tolls, the new bill could be as high as $154.00. They will keep adding late charges!

Rental cars, some rental companies WILL not pay the NTTA tolls, instead when the bill comes to them they will eventually forward it on you and by then you have the late fees attached. I know ifyou search on here there was a thread about it.

The NTTA computerized phone system is very hard to nagivate etc...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,028,127 times
I don't use the toll roads a lot, so haven't purchased a Toll Tag. When I moved here from Arizona, I drove on George Bush Turnpike twice with AZ plates. Then I drove 4 more times with new TX plates. I got a bill combining all 6 trips (have only driven 2 more times since).

Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
if the OP plans on using toll roads after changing to TX tags my suggestion is to call the NTTA and explain the problem--and that you don't want to be accruing large amount of fines for the delay in the billing from FL to TX
ask them if you can get a toll tag for this FL registered car and use the same toll tag when you get your TX plates/registration...

Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
!
I would get your car plates switched as soon as you can. The TX DMV is well run and efficient and will just cost you a few $$. If you let it wait, you will get a ticket at some point.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM

390 posts, read 715,488 times
Avis has an eToll system that includes Texas.
Avis Services - eToll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas