Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,822,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

the absence of an HOA doesn't make a neighborhood a sh$thole.
Did what I said somehow imply that? Maybe I am missing your angle..Or you missed mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 PM

19,872 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
LOL- The most expensive real estate in all of DFW is non-HOA neighborhoods in Highland Park, University Park, Lakewood, and Preston Hollow.

While it's hard to find non-HOA neighborhoods in the suburbs due to the way they've been developed, the absence of an HOA doesn't make a neighborhood a sh$thole.
There are HOAs in Preston Hollow. As a matter of fact I believe an HOA of sorts takes care of the greenery and flowers etc. along Strait between Royal and Walnut Hill.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,321,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
There are HOAs in Preston Hollow. As a matter of fact I believe an HOA of sorts takes care of the greenery and flowers etc. along Strait between Royal and Walnut Hill.
I have yet to hear of a mandatory HOA in Preston Hollow. All the ones I know about are voluntary.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,822,195 times
Who cares, that was a weak reference anyway since all those areas have a built-in HOA called WEALTH..It's a barrier to entry to all the knuckleheads that most of us middle class people have to actually worry about and need HOAs to help protect, in the neighborhoods we were actually talking about in this thread.

Anyway, I thought I mentioned the fact that alot of mature/established neighborhoods without HOAs usually 'get it' anyway..Meaning the maintaining property values because people care. I didn't say you needed a HOA to accomplish that, and that is not what I meant, maybe I didn't get that across.

Last edited by skids929; 06-22-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 PM

19,872 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have yet to hear of a mandatory HOA in Preston Hollow. All the ones I know about are voluntary.
I didn't intend to make that distinction.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,326,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Did what I said somehow imply that? Maybe I am missing your angle..Or you missed mine.
This is your exact quote. It seems to strongly imply that withouth the protection of an HOA, there's a high "risk" of moving next door to a horrible neighbor (people who paint their homes fuschia & lime green, never mow the yard, and keep 19 trucks in the front yard).

You presented the options as two "choices" - HOA with protection or non-HOA with risk.

Quote:
You other choice is risk moving within 10 feet of a horrible neighbor that views suburb living differently than you. And with the way homes are platted so closely in the DFW area this would be a problem.
People tend to do what is "normal" for the neighborhood. So if you find a well cared for neighborhood with no HOA, 99.9% of neighbors are going to take good care of their properties. If you move into a neighborhood with yellow, green, pink, and purple homes.....then that's probably what the neighbors will do.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,054,090 times
I your going to live in the northern burbs the chance you find a neighborhood with out a HOA is pretty slim. I would suggest you look at the rules and regulation guide of each HOA. If they simply cover things like lawn maintenance and the general overall appearance of the neighborhood then they should be consider. If they are very restrictive (what type plants you can plant etc.) I would keep looking. I think HOA's do serve a purpose but when they start telling me what kind of tree I can plant or what kind of car/truck I must drive I must move on. I could never be happy under a HOA nazi neighborhood.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
There are "HOA"s in terms of raising money for extra patrol officers or planting in park spaces, but not true suburban HOA's where you get a 952-page manual of the "do's" and "do not's" of the neighborhood.

There is NOTHING in Preston Hollow like this-->

Stonebridge Ranch - McKinney, Texas (http://www.stonebridgeranch.com/faq.asp?id=461582&page=1 - broken link)

Q: Can I make changes to my home?
Yes, however, all improvements to your home must comply with the Associations’ documents: Master Declaration, Design Guidelines and Review Procedures for Residential Modifications, Master Design Guidelines and the Subdivision Design Guidelines. Some improvements require committee approval prior to installation including but not limited to alterations to paint colors (front doors, trim and siding), fences, landscaping, play structures, pools, etc. Please review your documents carefully before construction. Call the SRCA office if you have any questions.

New construction, excavation, alterations or removal of part or all of the residence, including the land and any improvements thereon, other than conventional repairs, requires prior separate approval by the Modifications Committee and by the City of McKinney for issuance of a building permit.

Yes, that's correct. Whereas in Preston Hollow, the Park Cities, and other lovely Dallas & Richardson neighborhoods, homeowners must only follow city code when renovating/ remodeling, in a typical suburban HOA you must get a committee of fellow homeowners to approve your new front door (color & style), a pool you're installing in your own private backyard, the landscape you choose, etc. Oh yes, there's NOTHING like that in Preston Hollow.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Who cares, that was a weak reference anyway since all those areas have a built-in HOA called WEALTH..It's a barrier to entry to all the knuckleheads that most of us middle class people have to actually worry about and need HOAs to help protect, in the neighborhoods we were actually talking about in this thread.

Anyway, I thought I mentioned the fact that alot of mature/established neighborhoods without HOAs usually 'get it' anyway..Meaning the maintaining property values because people care. I didn't say you needed a HOA to accomplish that, and that is not what I meant, maybe I didn't get that across.

Again, it's not about the $1M homes. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Dallas where homes cost $175-250k where the neighborhoods are well kept.

Ridgewood Park in 75214
L Streets in Lake Highlands 75238
Hollywood Heights/ Santa Monica 75223
Winnetka Heights 75208

You didn't mention that the established neighborhoods "get it" in your OP although I appreciate the point. But if a similar "type" of people - income, race, etc- are living in Ridgewood Park and the L Streets AND Allen/ Frisco/ McKinney.....how come the non-HOA'ers in Dallas haven't destroyed their neighborhoods and taken advantage of their "freedom"? How come the middle class folks in Allen/ Frisco / McKinney can't be trusted to pick a decent shade of paint for their front door or pick nice flowers & trees for their front yards?

Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,452,037 times
Quote:
This is your exact quote. It seems to strongly imply that withouth the protection of an HOA, there's a high "risk" of moving next door to a horrible neighbor (people who paint their homes fuschia & lime green, never mow the yard, and keep 19 trucks in the front yard).

You presented the options as two "choices" - HOA with protection or non-HOA with risk.

People tend to do what is "normal" for the neighborhood. So if you find a well cared for neighborhood with no HOA, 99.9% of neighbors are going to take good care of their properties. If you move into a neighborhood with yellow, green, pink, and purple homes.....then that's probably what the neighbors will do.

Agree with this. I have family in non HOA subdivisions in Garland, Rockwall and Mesquite. None of these neighborhoods are horror shows of pink houses and cars on blocks. They are all nice neighborhoods with mowed lawns and just general upkeeping. So the lesson here would be that it's VERY possible to find a non HOA area that is well kept up...you just have to do the research, drive around, ask questions, etc.

The only advantage that SOME HOAs bring is the community facilities, parks and the like, although that is easily remedied by living in a city that provides these amenities for you so you dont have to pay a HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas