Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,496 times

Advertisements

Probably not a whole lot other than the fact we're both Championship Cities!!!! Bruins finally joining the fray of Champions for the oldest Trophy in sports!!

Congrats to the City Dallas on the Mavs win, and now Boston for the Cup! This is our time!

YouTube - ‪Miracle - Coach Brooks Addresses Team Pre Game‬‏

Last edited by skids929; 06-16-2011 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Congrats, but to be brutally honest, I've hated Boston sports teams for a few years now since you guys started winning EVERYTHING and shoving it down the throats of the rest of us (especially Bill Simmons)...starting with the Red Sox, then on to the Patriots, and finally the Celtics...since I don't watch hockey I have no hatred towards that team so Congrats again.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Congrats, but to be brutally honest, I've hated Boston sports teams for a few years now since you guys started winning EVERYTHING and shoving it down the throats of the rest of us (especially Bill Simmons)...starting with the Red Sox, then on to the Patriots, and finally the Celtics...since I don't watch hockey I have no hatred towards that team so Congrats again.
I felt the same way about the Yankees in the 90's so I understand..Recently we've been dubbed "title-town" which is completely stupid. It comes in waves for different Cities I think..Personally, I suffered the last 30+ years with the Bruins mediocrity, sitting idly-by while watching expansion teams (like Dallas-a team I loved BTW) take the prize. I know what you are saying..

But it's great to see an original 6 team who hasn't won it in a long time win it. And if I showed you the stats of the Bruins and Vancouver prior to this series and asked you to bet you would not have picked the Bruins to win for that reason alone. They were literally like Herb Brooks' team in the 80s in that respect.

Barring all the incidents in this series, the Bruins determination in winning this series against a team with much flashier players, is incredible.

Last edited by skids929; 06-16-2011 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 AM

19,808 posts, read 18,110,313 times
Congrats Skids,
Generally, I'm pulling for whomever The Bruins are playing. However, it's more or less impossible not to be thrilled for Tim Thomas. He has been positively Patrick Roy-like throughout the playoffs. He lost games one and two of the finals and played almost perfectly in both games. All that and his long journey to the NHL is an awesome story of guts, effort, determination and skill. He deserved the Conn Smythe.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I felt the same way about the Yankees in the 90's so I understand..Recently we've been dubbed "title-town" which is completely stupid. It comes in waves for different Cities I think..Personally, I suffered the last 30+ years with the Bruins mediocrity, sitting idly-by while watching expansion teams (like Dallas-a team I loved BTW) take the prize. I know what you are saying..

But it's great to see an original 6 team who hasn't won it in a long time win it. And if I showed you the stats of the Bruins and Vancouver prior to this series and asked you to bet you would not have picked the Bruins to win for that reason alone. They were literally like Herb Brooks' team in the 80s in that respect.

Barring all the incidents in this series, the Bruins determination in winning this series against a team with much flashier players, is incredible.
all jealousy aside, I do think it's incredible how one town has been able to dominate 3 and now 4 major sports in such a small time frame. Has any city won in all 4 sports in a decade? I can't think of any...so perhaps Boston is title town...and now, in Simmons words, I will now light myself on fire...

Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
all jealousy aside, I do think it's incredible how one town has been able to dominate 3 and now 4 major sports in such a small time frame. Has any city won in all 4 sports in a decade? I can't think of any...so perhaps Boston is title town...and now, in Simmons words, I will now light myself on fire...
I think there is some stat floating around out there related to how many titles yes..Honestly though I am just happy we got the Cup, all the other titles take a back seat in my mind...Although the Sox winning was a relief that we aren't CURSED!! I can die in peace now.

Dallas on the other hand is an AWESOME sports City. I got a really good indication of that when I went to a Rangers game. Loved the entire experience, stadium is fanstastic. Watching Beltre from where we were sitting right at the third base line really gave you a good idea how freakin talented he is.

But yes I know how it can be to have a dry spell, especially in a Town like Dallas with so much pride and awesome fan-base. Many times I wanted to throw myself down a flight of stairs in frustration, but I think the NHL salary cap solved Boston's problems. Next time out to DFW I want to visit that Giant space-ship you guys watch football games in.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Stay Classy Vancouver.....What a shame. Over a sport they are only spectators of!!

Vancouver Riots! (photos) « that's gank!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,921 times
Quote:

But it's great to see an original 6 team who hasn't won it in a long time win it..
The Bruins were pretty freakin' good in the days of Bourque and Allison, too. Would have been nice to see those guys win it.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
The Bruins were pretty freakin' good in the days of Bourque and Allison, too. Would have been nice to see those guys win it.
those are my most memorable years watching the Bs..Neely and Bourque having left the biggest mark on me. Loved Allison except for the fact he was not a durable player, always injured.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,921 times
Quote:
Stay Classy Vancouver.....What a shame. Over a sport they are only spectators of!!
It's not the first time, either:

YouTube - ‪Stanley Cup Riot Vancouver 1994‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas