Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,583 times

Advertisements

My child would be 5yrs after September 1st, (cut off) what school would allow him to begin Kindergaten this year. I am aware of the pros/cons however my child is well prepared. I would like suggestions of schools Private or not it does not matter. In the Carrollton, Lewisville, Coppell, Irving area. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 03:14 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,645,073 times
I am not certain, but you are probably limited to your local public school as most private school admissions have already passed. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 PM

695 posts, read 1,451,034 times
I don't think so. My son was in the same situation and we wound up doing two years of kindergarten, the first in Montessori.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I am not certain, but you are probably limited to your local public school as most private school admissions have already passed. Good luck.
Actually, the legal cut off for entering Kindergarten in Texas is to be 5 years old by 9/1....OP's child cannot do public Kindergarten.

Private schools are your only option for Kindergarten, if you can get a spot this late in the year. Other than that, you'd be looking at private Pre-K, as public Pre-K (when available) is for low income families.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,944,437 times
What are you intentions down the road? Are you planning to put your child into the public school system, and if so, which one? Public schools will not enroll underaged kindergartners, and they also generally won't enroll underaged 1st graders, even if they've completed private kindergarten. So you're really looking at a 2-year commitment to private schools.

Are you considering private schools going forward through elementary school? If so, what prestige and performance level would be most comfortable with?

At this point in the calendar, some of your private school options are closed off. You can still probably find some religious kindergarten programs available. Is that something that would be of interest?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,514,384 times
Check the private Montessori schools - The Westwood School for instance - as they don't have grade levels. I don't know of any public school that allows early kinder entry. Some disticts will set a really high bar such as - must pass 3rd grade TAKS test to go into kinder early - to stop kids from entering kinder early. Most private schools won't let you start early either and in fact some of the better private schools won't take a kinder until age 6.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 04-06-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,740,541 times
I knew a teacher at this very small private school and I heard great things about it. In Irving near MacArthur and 183.

Academics : Faustina Academy

Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM

77 posts, read 218,979 times
Default why don't you wait?

I know you're not asking for advice about your child, just a school, but if I had a little boy with a September birthday in Texas, I would wait to enroll him in Kindergarten until next year. You'll be happier down the line, although I know you'll have another year of preschool or daycare to pay for. I'm a teacher, and the honest truth is, is that physical size and athletic ability make up so much of a boy's social standing in school in Texas. If he is a whole year smaller and less coordinated than his peers, his immaturity will become a liability in about third grade. Think of it this way- you'll get your child another whole year at home before he goes off to college and you'll have another year to save for his college.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 AM

447 posts, read 1,010,293 times
I couldn't agree more with milwaukeegirl. Academically prepared is one thing, but socially mature is quite another. Both my sons are summer birthdays, and both have been held back in order to make sure they're socially/emotionally ready for their grade. My first grader reads at a 5th grade level, but socially he's in the right spot. And these differences in academic achievement often even out over time - I doubt that he'll still be so far ahead on reading in a few years.

I know that's not what you asked, nor is it probably what you want to hear. But I'm glad someone said something similar to me, so...I'm passing it on.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:44 AM

37,309 posts, read 60,078,432 times
the public schools will not admit child with Sept 1 birthday into pubic kindergaten no matter how mature or high the IQ is (hard to tell at that age anyway)

Best bet is private school--
AND your son won't be able to go into FIRST grade the next year--
he will have to start into Kindergarten again in public school--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas