Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 21,224 times

Advertisements

I'm overwhelmed by all of the church selections in the Dallas area. Would love suggestions (and links, if available). I'm looking for a church that:

believes that Jesus is the way, truth, and life
is humble & unpretentious; not cliche
grace-based
welcomes women in ministry
reveres but doesn't worship the bible
not shy to engage tough social and theological issues

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 11:01 AM

869 posts, read 2,955,582 times
hmmm...sounds like you might be a Methodist...

but what part of town are you looking for a place of worship to visit?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 21,224 times
Dallas / Plano area.
I'm not sure about denomination, but open.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,914 times
My husband is moving to Bent Tree Bible Fellowship and he really likes it. He is evangelical and I'm Catholic. We take turns going to each other's churches. They do accept women in ministry and seem to have very active small groups and ministries.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Highland Park Presbyterian Church might be a good fit for you! Despite being in a very wealthy neighborhood, the church was extremely humbled about 20 years ago when it's congregation split in two. Those remaining at HPPC really had to work to reinvent the staid old church. It is PC (USA) the more liberal denomination of the Presbyterian church, which welcomes women into leadership positions such as Elder. However, Ron Scates, the senior pastor is tough and Bible preaching (no Joel Osteen "health & wealth"....God wants you to be rich messages here)- has openly preached about abortion and other "touchy" subjects. The church also has the largest urban Presbyterian ministry in the US and hundreds of Africans (mainly refugees) worship there throughout the week....my point being, despite the "Highland Park" name & location, it is a diverse Bible believing church that welcomes visitors and has wonderful programming for men, women, children, teenagers, and young adults & couples. There is quite an active seniors group there, too.

First Baptist Downtown meets all your requirements except women in leadership. It is a very conservative church with a senior pastor who speaks strongly against the immoral & sinful world we live in.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM

96 posts, read 203,977 times
Chase Oaks Church Chase Oaks Church in Plano by Legacy and 75. Comtemporary and come as you are. Love the wordship and the pastor. Annual Sharefest where we help out the communities.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:47 PM

93 posts, read 245,036 times
I agree with the HPPC recommendation. My wife and I are members. Although it is a PCUSA church, there is not much emphasis on denomination, and the church is generally more conservative than its PCUSA counterparts (particularly in the North). Dr. Scates even said in the membership class that he did not believe denomination was particularly important, or something to that effect. This is in contrast to Park Cities Presbyterian (which is the other piece in the split TC80 references), where I also attended at one point; when I was there, there was quite a bit of emphasis on denomination. There is great music and preaching at the traditional service and great special music on occasion. A lot of the younger crowd likes the contemporary service that meets in gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Highland Park Presbyterian Church might be a good fit for you! Despite being in a very wealthy neighborhood, the church was extremely humbled about 20 years ago when it's congregation split in two. Those remaining at HPPC really had to work to reinvent the staid old church. It is PC (USA) the more liberal denomination of the Presbyterian church, which welcomes women into leadership positions such as Elder. However, Ron Scates, the senior pastor is tough and Bible preaching (no Joel Osteen "health & wealth"....God wants you to be rich messages here)- has openly preached about abortion and other "touchy" subjects. The church also has the largest urban Presbyterian ministry in the US and hundreds of Africans (mainly refugees) worship there throughout the week....my point being, despite the "Highland Park" name & location, it is a diverse Bible believing church that welcomes visitors and has wonderful programming for men, women, children, teenagers, and young adults & couples. There is quite an active seniors group there, too.

First Baptist Downtown meets all your requirements except women in leadership. It is a very conservative church with a senior pastor who speaks strongly against the immoral & sinful world we live in.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 16,885 times
I'm not sure about women in the ministry at any of these, but you might like The Village Church (Northway campus in Dallas / http://northway.thevillagechurch.net/), Watermark Church (http://www.watermark.org/) or Fellowship Dallas (across from Northpark in the old movie theater, not Ed Young's Church downtown...this one is the most diverse in age of the 3 / http://www.fellowshipdallas.org/).

Old 03-29-2011, 02:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,577 times
Find a Methodist church. That fits with your descriptions of what you are looking for.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM

53 posts, read 180,344 times
You might want to check out Bent Tree - it is across from our church - which I am not sure would be a good fit for you or I would invite you It works for us...but not really based on your description. Bent Tree might be a good fit. I do suggest visiting several churches before you make a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas