Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,645 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am hoping to get some inputs. I am moving from Boston to Dallas. I have a job in Ennis TX and my husband in downtown Dallas. We have a 3 years old kid. We are having time deciding where to live. Is there any nice apartments neighborhood with private preschool south of downtown. We were looking some places in Lancaster but we did not like it. We both are young Medical professionals (Asian). We wanted to stay between downtown n Ennis but doesn't seem like a good idea. Thank you for reading, I would really appreciate your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM

11,860 posts, read 26,899,645 times
The short answer: NO. Ennis is off I-45, and some of the roughest parts of Dallas are south of downtown along 45 (Fair Park, Wilmer, Hutchins, etc.) The neighborhood doesn't improve until you get to Ovilla and Ferris, which are quite a drive!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
No- you are better off choosing a city neighborhood (north of I-30 if on the east side of downtown) and doing the reverse commute to Ennis. There is no good "middle ground" for your commute and living in. Ennis would make your hubby's commute worse than you doing a reverse commute.

If you want a walkable, urban environment- look in Uptown (75204), the neigborboods immediately north of downtown (between Tollroad and 75). There are some private preschools in the neighborhood as well as many downtown close to your hubby's office. 1st United Methodist, 1st Presbyterian, 1st Baptist churches downtown all have very well run daycares & preschools.

If you want something more spread out & residential, look in the M Streets area (furher north on 75, about 2 miles north of Uptown) or the East Dallas neighborhoods east of that. You could also look in Hollywood Heights-Santa Monica, since it has easy highway access to I-30 (to I-45S) via Grand Ave. Many private preschools in these neighborhoods- Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist- or again the downtown options to be near your hubby are good.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,483,249 times
I think driving in Dallas is significantly more dangerous than driving in Boston. I see spectacular wrecks here all the time - more in one year of DAL than 15 years of BOS. I drive 15 miles to BUMC from Plano and I hate it. I avoid driving on Dallas highways during rush hour taking the side roads back. For example, if I were going from BOS to Salem, I would take 1A instead. Ennis is is 36 miles from Downtown Dallas. That's twice as far as Salem is from MGH, but all the way through a big nasty neighborhood, the likes of which doesn't exist in BOS. Imagine a giant Brockton. I'd quit before driving that route every day - and I lived in Lower Roxbury for 7 lovely years. You probably will too. Might as well do it now. I suggest you scrap the Ennis job and find someplace in town. There's lots of hospitals here, a lot of growth. Think downtown and north. Big Asian populations in Richardson and Plano if that matters to you.

Ask all the q's you want, I'll be happy to help. I'm Partners Alumn , been here 2.5 years. Big Three here are Texas Health, Baylor, and Methodist. They have tons of satellites just like Partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas