Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,243,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandooriyak View Post
A few more things to note about my current situation:

We are not from San Francisco. I am from San Jose and my husband is from Fremont. Though San Jose is a large city, it does not have the big city feel at all. It's not cosmopolitan and we cannot keep a symphony or a theater company alive in this city at all. The highlights for us in San Jose are festivals which are crowded and poorly designed, movie theaters, bars, etc. There is not much difference between San Jose and any other midwest city that is more suburban sprawl than actual city. In fact, San Jose does not have any shopping in the downtown area and is regulated like a police state starting at about 1 am. There is no late night here, nor am I a late night person. My husband and I are not drinkers and are perfectly fine with living in a dry county.

Fremont, where my husband grew up, is nothing but suburbia, so much so, in fact, that it does not actually have a movie theater within city limits even though its population is over 200,000 people. The supermarkets are spread out and you likely have to drive several miles to reach a store. Fremont does have a BART station but it takes over an hour to get into San Francisco using BART when you can drive in about 45 minutes.

Both San Jose and Fremont are places where you drive. We don't have good public transportation. Both are places that are full of shopping centers and chain restaurants. Yes, we are close to San Francisco but my husband and I likely go there twice or three times a year. The hassle of getting to the city and driving around or trying to figure out public transportation every time I'm interested in going makes me prefer not to go. When I was a child, we took long driving trips including driving from California to Texas at least once or twice a year. I am not averse to driving places nor am I trying to get away from all traffic. California is beyond congested and does not have the resources to help alleviate that.

I do not love California or think that it is superior to any other state. I'm anxious to get OUT of this state, in fact, because even though I have a great job (which I will be moving with), and can have a savings account and can consider buying a house here, what I get will be much less than EVERYTHING that Texas can offer. The people, the food, the surroundings, the community, the proximity to my sister and my niece and nephew, the closeness to my mother and to my husbands family, the ability to have children and be able to send them to quality schools. All of those things are being considered.
Sounds as if you don't like suburbia - so you should definitely check out Lakewood - 75214 mostly but also 75206 and part of 75223. We have the big city amenities of being close (5-10 minutes) to downtown, the arts district etc - plus many people are involved in art, dance, theater, music, food, writing, etc. It's got its own sense of place and the best way to explain it is 'a small town in the big city'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMweqqemgaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psfoBl9e1Jg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqxDVs9rIfo
Nice long tour of one of the celebrated homes by Clifford Hutsell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIwfGkGK5s
this starts out with our high school choir and auction party - there are interviews about Lakewood also.

Lakewood Home Festival - You + Dallas

- the lady interviewed here was at the J.L. Long Middle School fundraiser meeting I attended last night.

Lakewood - You + Dallas

- you can click on a video of the Arboretum at White Rock Lake here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
The California v Texas thing only exists with some posters on this board.

There is a lot more to worry about your line of questioning about someone being half Asian. how ridiculous. If you work in Richardson and are Caucasian, you will be the minority, not someone who is half-Asian.

It amazes me how myopic people can be.
Have you even been to Richardson? Considering you just told another poster not to go anywhere in Dallas outher than McKineny Avenue, I should be shocked to see more bad advice on this thread....

Richardson is VERY diverse- the city's demographics are:
57% white
22% hispanic
13% asian
6% black
1% multi-racial

It's one of the most diverse suburbs in DFW. There is a Chinatown on Greenville Ave & Beltine. There are tons of affordable family owned restaurants in every cuisine imaginable- Thai, Japanese, Indian, Mediteranean, etc. It's also home to UT-Dallas, which has a huge international student population (nearly 20%), many of whom live in Richardson. My friend is in class with people from Turkey, Korea, Spain, etc.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM

419 posts, read 1,000,089 times
Quote:
HOAPresident, do I sense a bit of sarcasm here? Do you always treat new people to the forum like this? I'm trying to honestly gather information and I just wanted to ask the question. I understand that Texas is full of diversity. I've been there many times. However, I normally visit my family and have not interacted with many people beyond my extended family members and their neighbors. I also have not been back since I started dating my husband and since we have been married. I've read in other posts on this same forum that there is some discrimination so I figured it would be good to ask.
Sarcasm and maybe a dash of hyperbole. Maybe.

About twice a week we get a question on this forum from a Californian asking how often they should expect a cross to be burned in their yard because they're moving to Texas where they constantly hear that Klan membership is a requirement of crossing the border.

It's tiresome of being assumed to be prejudiced. You were the straw that broke the camel's back (and I don't mean that as being prejudiced against camels -- or straws -- or backs).

Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,397,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Knowing where your job would be located, I would also suggest Richardson. But take a look at Lakewood as well. It is on the east side of Dallas, like Richardson.

I think a lot of people fear a Dallas address because it's the "big city." That is a mistake. Dallas is a very suburban city and deserves a look itself. Simply having a Dallas address doesn't mean you would be any more urban that a far flung suburb.

But Dallas is where you'll find the culture, fun restaurants and bars.
There's also something to be said for enjoying the culture from a distance. One thing I love about Richardson is I have quick access to everything Dallas has to offer but it doesn't follow me home at night...nor does it barf on my sidewalk or pee in my front yard. Or keep me awake with lights and noise. I also don't have to put up with the traffic or clean up beer bottles the next morning. I know people who live in the "trendy" areas of Dallas who deal with some or all of that.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,279,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's also something to be said for enjoying the culture from a distance. One thing I love about Richardson is I have quick access to everything Dallas has to offer but it doesn't follow me home at night...nor does it barf on my sidewalk or pee in my front yard. Or keep me awake with lights and noise. I also don't have to put up with the traffic or clean up beer bottles the next morning. I know people who live in the "trendy" areas of Dallas who deal with some or all of that.
That won't happen in Lakewood or North Dallas. But it could certainly happen in Uptown, Downtown and a few blocks on either side of Greenville in the M-Streets area.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:56 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,243,206 times
Yeah and Upper Greenville for the St. Paddy's Parade within mere feet of University Park! One day a year but some people b$T@h

Old 02-18-2011, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 61,851 times
The apartment company that I rent from presently is Windsor Communities. They manage these apartments in the Dallas area: Luxury Apartments in Dallas, Texas - Windsor Communities.

Are rent prices typically that high? Some of these buildings have higher rents than I pay now in Downtown San Jose. Would I be better off finishing out my lease here in California and moving into a new apartment in Texas? My lease ends in July and we were hoping to move in June.

Thanks!

Last edited by tandooriyak; 02-18-2011 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 02:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,279,161 times
Among other things, I do think there is a misconception that Texas is "cheap." Instead, it's "affordable."

Most of your example apartments are brand new and in nice urban areas of the city -- therefore demanding a premium. But please keep in mind that the listed price is like a listed price on a car. People really aren't paying that much. Back when I was renting, my apartment listed for $1,750 per month. I paid $1,100. It's just a negotiation starting point. An apartment locator can help you find the best deals.

Generally speaking, a nice one bedroom apartment in a good area of Dallas will be about $1,000 per month.

Our houses aren't an insane amount of money, but they certainly aren't cheap in the most desirable parts of town either. For example, in the Park Cities (Highland Park and University Park) a run down old 2/1, 1,200 square foot shack in "original" 1920's condition will sell for $800,000.

The farther out you go, the more "bang for your buck" you'll get. But there are significant trade offs for that as well.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 PM

871 posts, read 2,696,929 times
Quote:
Not a problem, I understand that there are a lot of people that are doing the same thing we are. Being in our late 20s (with 30 approaching in a month for me), the opportunities found elsewhere are just far greater than we can find in California.

First off, I will have a job. I'll be transferring with my current job and salary. My manager's manager works out of the Texas office so I will actually have leadership in the area and can keep my current position intact. My husband will be looking for a job in the area.

So let me answer your questions now:

1) We are looking to spend no more than $400,000 for a house. We'd like a decent sized house. Here for $400K, we would get a 2 bedroom condo. We would be renting for a year so we could check out neighborhoods leisurely. Our apartment management company has several properties in Dallas and I can get locations of those also.

2) My job would be located in northern Richardson, though I could work remotely. I would prefer to be able to go into the office at least 3 days a week without a brutal commute (so about 30 - 45 minutes at most). Given that my husband would be looking for a job also, the perfect location could change, I realize.

3) When we purchase, we'll be looking for a reasonably sized 3 or 4 bedroom/2.5 or 3 bathroom home. I have no preference between single story and multi-story nor do I need a home with 3,000 square feet. Given that I currently live in a 728 sq ft. apartment that I pay more than $1,400 per month for, I think I could possibly live anywhere bigger. We'd like an extra bedroom for an office. I am not afraid of suburbia and love an area with a good shopping center and good access to restaurants. It does not have to be in the middle of the city at all. As far as lot goes, a large yard would be nice. Again, I presently have no yard and I think my mother's house here in San Jose has a yard that is about 15 ft. by 30 ft. When I say large, if it was 3 times the size of that, I would probably be in heaven.
I am actually FROM Fremont, CA like your hubby (Went to American High School in North Fremont if any proof is needed ). Wife and I moved to DFW area in Nov 09 directly from living in Newark, CA. I don't get from your podss that you are anti-suburbia. We moved to Wylie and love our 6 bdrm, 3.5 bath 3700 sq ft house that was built in 2005 that we paid $210,000 for (in Wylie you can get new/newer 3/2's with 1800-2000 sqft and a nice yard in the $120-150k range). I don't mind my 25 mile commute to Dallas at all.

Since you aren't suburb averse, why not Richardson itself? Parts of it have the home you want. Also you can consider Plano and Allen too. Allen especially has good schools, but Plano's are not bad either. None of those cities provide a brutal commute as you define it. You can look at Wylie too, but if your hubby gets a job in Dallas and then has a 30 minute commute as I do, he may not like it.

P.S. No need to bash Fremont, CA. Yes it's pure suburbia but it has some charm. Take Niles for example, great part of town, really its own little town. And it does have a movie theater, just happens to be a multiplex that only shows Bollywood movies. Can't help the fact that a megaplex went to neighbor Union City (And Milpitas at the Great Mall), only issue is that the city can't get its act together about empty land near Pacific Commons [where the A's were going to move, and where many want a movie theater to be built]...but then again, I love the Bay and would rather live in Fremont...hell even parts of Hayward (only parts of since some parts are super sketchy) than anywhere in the DFW metroplex...

Last edited by pappy97; 02-18-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 PM

12 posts, read 61,851 times
Pappy, another Fremont transplant! My husband is a graduate of Mission San Jose High.

You are right, I'm totally NOT anti-suburb. I love suburbia, in fact. I like proximity to cities but don't want to deal with the regular city life. I'd be much happier to be in a neighborhood with shops and grocery stores nearby. Right now I have to hop on a freeway to get to the supermarket and I'd rather have one right in my community.

I enjoy aspects of both suburban and urban life, I just wouldn't really be anticipating moving into a high rise building in the middle of the city. I'd rather have some open space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas