Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,701,516 times

Advertisements

If I don't replace the water heaters with tankless in my personal house, I will probably change them out when they are about 10-12 years old. Right now they are 6 years old. Investment properties, no older than 10 years. Unfortunately it seems I have places with more than one heater..... Really don't want to have to deal with issues and then the financial consequences of water heater emergencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 AM

283 posts, read 404,976 times
Hi Squirl,
I got a quote of gas tankless at $2600. If we were to replace tankless, I'm thinking of putting the tankless equipment just above the drip pan that we have currently, just in case. Or the location of tankless equipment has to be somewhere else ?
I wonder if it adds something to re-sale value of the house if we change it to tankless ? Or there are people still prefer conventional gas heater ?

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,701,516 times
tankless water heaters need to be installed on an outside wall. I don't think most buyers will pay much more for a house with a tankless h20 heater but having one will certainly be a plus in comparing houses. I don't think people prefer conventional over tankless, quite the opposite.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:52 AM

11,864 posts, read 26,907,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
this is what is on the City of Bedford's web site
Do I need a permit to install a Water Heater?
Installation of a water heater requires a permit. If installed in the garage, it must be elevated 18”. If anyone other than homeowner does the work, they must be a licensed plumber by the State of Texas and be registered with the City.
City of Grapevine didn't care at all about the changing out of water heaters and told me not to bother with a permit. IMHO, I'm sure there is a fee for the plumber to "register" with the City of Bedford, too. (Another plus of Grapevine vs. Bedford, L2R!) The plumber I used was one I knew from a former employer where he did all of our gas work, and he was very good!

One of my neighbors works for Atmos, and he did the post-install inspection for free!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM

9 posts, read 17,782 times
I would advise staying clear of the heat-pump water heaters being offered today, and because they will increase/decrease the comfort heating/cooling of your home depending on how they are installed. Not a problem if you have a reserve of heating and cooling that will offset the additional heat loss/gain from the water heater heat-pump ... but ... who knows unless you've actually measured system effect factors that address the potential problem.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:31 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,220,519 times
If you look at the conventional gas water heaters, home depot and lowes both sell a house brand water heater that is the exact same as the GE heater, just a different name. They put less of a warranty on it, and you save a hundred or so bucks. The brand I just installed was Hotpoint, made by GE. They are well under 400 dollars. Expect to pay an hour of labor to install one, so you should be way under 800 bucks for sure if you stick with a regular gas one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas