Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 AM

4 posts, read 7,058 times

Advertisements

Owned a house outside of Dallas and was laid off my job. Put my house on the market but was upside down. Relocated to Florida for employment and was falling behind in my payments (a couple of months) on the house in Texas. Had a buyer and my Realtor negotiated a Short Sale though still had to bring 4K to closing. Thought that would be the last of it. The bank contacted me and asked for repayment though there were several things that I found unusual. First offer was a lump sum payment of 13K though the SS was 25K which I didn't have. The second offer was for what I could afford payment plan at an interest rate of 0%. Reached an agreement off $100 / month though there was never any paperwork received or had to sign except an authorization to withdrawal from my bank. Bank just started deducting $100 / month. The bank was threatening a 1099 as taxable income and legal action if I refused to make repayment.
In my research I find that the bank would issue a 1099C and would not be taxable as described in:

Ten Facts about Mortgage Debt Forgiveness (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=205004,00.html - broken link)

Bottom line is I think my bank is screwing me and I ought to tell them to take a hike as the SS is already on my Credit Report.

Any input or direction would be appreciated.

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 AM

79 posts, read 183,542 times
Quite a few people who file for short sale and the bank come after them file bankruptcy.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 AM

37,459 posts, read 60,350,656 times
think you started that house-selling process from the wrong end
the FIRST people you should have checked with WAS the bank and got the ok from them to do that

Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM

79 posts, read 183,542 times
loves2read you cannot short sell a house without checking with the bank first, some banks will make you pay them back with a promissory note, some will take most of your cash. You will take a hit on your credit for each late payment and another for the short sale (about 50-75 points).

He should have seen an attorney before he completed the short sale. The attorney may have helped him get out of the note and would have given him advice on what to do.

Now that the short sale is over he will either have to pay or file bankruptcy and if he does the latter he will see an attorney.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 AM

My mistake was trusting my realtor who I gave permission to explore the short sale option as I didn't have enough funds to make up the difference with only 1 serious offer in 6 months and if I missed one more house payment forclosure proceedings would have started. So if it's $100/month for the rest of my life that's better than forclosure on my credit.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlead1 View Post
My mistake was trusting my realtor who I gave permission to explore the short sale option as I didn't have enough funds to make up the difference with only 1 serious offer in 6 months and if I missed one more house payment forclosure proceedings would have started. So if it's $100/month for the rest of my life that's better than forclosure on my credit.

Last time I checked mt credit rating I was still in the 700's with only the SS as my only ding

BTW, Sale of home was 2 years ago

Last edited by techlead1; 02-01-2011 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Addional comment

Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM

207 posts, read 509,251 times
Quote:
So if it's $100/month for the rest of my life that's better than forclosure on my credit.
from what i understand, a foreclosure and a short sale both effect your credit pretty bad. i would rather have a foreclosure than pay $100 for the rest of my life, as u can recover from a foreclosure in 4-5 years!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM

37,459 posts, read 60,350,656 times
OK--so this SS happened two years ago and your bank is just coming to you NOW for repayment

don't understand the time line

and don't understand how you could not know the final figures from you bank before you initiated the short sale--although the ultimate figure might depend on what price you negotiated for the house

Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM

156 posts, read 301,581 times
Based on my research a Short Sale will hurt your credit but it depends alot on your bank, your credit score before, and the usage afterwards. There have been people who sold their house via short sale but never missed a payment and were able to turn around a buy a house a few months later. What I have found in my research (and have yet to put it to use as I am till in the short sale process) is wait 2 years after you short sale before using your credit for anything!! Then you will still have to explain the short sale to any future applications for credit. Probably not credit cards but car loans and home loans.

If you missed payments or were late multiple months or times then you have that on your credit report as well in addition to the short sale

Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM

156 posts, read 301,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
OK--so this SS happened two years ago and your bank is just coming to you NOW for repayment

don't understand the time line

and don't understand how you could not know the final figures from you bank before you initiated the short sale--although the ultimate figure might depend on what price you negotiated for the house
Common place for Banks to come after you months or years after the SS closed. The banks will not give you a release from the extra $$ and reserve the right to come after you or not. Some will say up front they want a signature no interest loan, some will forgive you, and some just wait till you get your life back together. The trick is if they ask for any $$ to get them to give you a release then.

Even better yet is to use the programs out there that "mandate" they release you from any future debt. The problem is they drag their feet, lose paperwork, and try to find ways to dis-qualify you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: