Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 15,978 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Dallas and am finding it hard to meet new friends. Everyone I work with is in their 30s so no help there and in the complex I live in it's mostly college students which I am so over or it seems like people that are already in relationships. Anyone have any ideas of how to meet new people my age in their mid 20s? I like to go out and have fun, going to and trying nice restaurants and having a cocktail or glass of wine, or just sitting back and watching movies... I'm a well rounded, average chic girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 10:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Try Events and Adventures.

And what is wrong with people in their 30s?!!!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
As I posted on similar thread, we met all our friends in church when we first moved here.
Trinity Church > Home (our "sister" church down in Dallas to the one we attend in McKinney)

Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Yeah, why so uptight about age? Let me guess - you just moved here from Boston, right?

When I was 19 I was sick of my boring burb and moved to South Beach. I lived in a building with a diverse group of people who pretty much ran the spectrum of humanity - age 2 - 70 something, black, white, hispanic, Euro, beautiful, ugly, normal, crazy, biblical, criminal - the works. What a wonderful wonderful experience! A lady who was the 47th female member of the French underground and a dancer in the Paris ballet, one 70 year murderer, an immigrant smuggler, coke heads, mothers and kids, a NY PR Nam vet from Hell's Kitchen, Cuban revolutionaries, Chicagoans, Brits, people who spoke no English, a church lady, working guys, beautiful girls ...

Why limit yourself to clones of yourself? Open up your scope, take chances, live, learn, accept those who don't perfectly meet your mental model, and then when those who do fit your model will feel the love and see you thriving amongst the general populace, they will come to you.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM

436 posts, read 1,348,230 times
If you're into sports, try joining a team through Dallas Sport and Social or Big D Sports. I'm sure there are other leagues but those are the ones I've played with. Check meetup.com for other options. There's a group there for everyone! Where did you go to school? There may be an alumni group here in town that you can hang out with. Granted, the age groups really vary for alumni group functions (or at least for my alma maters they do) but there are plenty of young alumni too.

When I moved back to Dallas at 30, I friended a bunch of people in their 20s. We're still friends more than 10 years later. And a lot of single people in their 30s are just as much fun as people in their 20s. Nothing really automatically changes when you turn 30. Promise!

Old 10-03-2010, 03:13 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1187 View Post
I'm a well rounded, average chic girl!
Since you call yourself an average chic girl - maybe you should take a class from Make, Oil and Cotton or Studio Arts - it's a wonderful way to meet people of similar interest as a base to build upon a friendship.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1187 View Post
I recently moved to Dallas and am finding it hard to meet new friends. Everyone I work with is in their 30s so no help there and in the complex I live in it's mostly college students which I am so over or it seems like people that are already in relationships. Anyone have any ideas of how to meet new people my age in their mid 20s? I like to go out and have fun, going to and trying nice restaurants and having a cocktail or glass of wine, or just sitting back and watching movies... I'm a well rounded, average chic girl!
Q- where do you live? That may be playing a role if you're stuck out in some suburb....

Here are my suggestions:
Church/synagogue - most big ones have large "young adult" groups

Alumni gatherings- find out where your collegr's alumni group watches football & go! If you were in a sorority, must have "young alumni" or "night" groups that are mostly 20's and 30's singles & have happy hours and other monthly events (no meetings, no roll call, no silly songs- just social networking)

Volunteer! Join the Junior League of Dallas or volunteer on your own with Habitat for Humanity, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Scottish Rite Hopsital for Kids, Ronald McDonald House, or one of the many area agencies who desperately need volunteers!

Do you have a passion for anything? There are very active Young Democrats, Young Republicans, Young Texans Against Cancer, Young Friends to support the Ronald McDonald House, tons of intermural sports.

Do you work out? Join a neighborhood gym or yoga studio, go often, and be friendly.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Events And Adventures is the Club for singles - with singles events in Dallas, San Francisco, Houston, Phoenix, Vancouver BC, Seattle and Minneapolis

Totally agree with volunteering. Not only do you do something good for the community, but you also meet fun, like-minded people!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Well, I'm the polar opposite of chic AND I'm over 30, so we couldn't be friends.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Join a group. There are tons of groups for every interest, profession and religion in Dallas. It will be awkward the first few times you go -- but just keep going. You'll make friends, but it will take some time.

Since you are single, I understand not wanting to hang out with people who have kids or other commitments. But don't be overly selective when it comes to age. Some "older" people actually have lots of friends in many stages in life. You may get plugged in to a whole new set of friends -- some of whom may even meet your strict criteria of being 25.

Plus, if you're too selective you may have to ask for advice from strangers on message boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas