Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 AM

21 posts, read 37,287 times

Advertisements

I've been trying for a while now to find a part time second job ANYWHERE and nowhere seems to be hiring. I've tried Monster, Temp Agencies, and the newspaper.

Does anyone have anyone have any recommendations on where I could find jobs that are hiring for night positions in the Frisco, Plano and Carrollton area?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Try restaurants in the area. They are often looking for servers. You'll most likely have to walk to each place and ask if they are hiring.

You might also consider becoming a security guard. Many agencies only hire part-time and they always have night positions.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Monster and the newspaper are a horrible plan to find the kind of job you're looking for.

Restaurants, bars & retail are going to be the easiest part-time jobs to find. You need to go "pound the pavement" and actually walk into these places and talk to the manager to see if they're hiring.

Temp agencies are swamped with unemployed people looking for any kind of work so if you're not 100% available all the time, you're not going to be attractive to them. Plus, they have so many temps on file that it's unlikely you'd ever get called.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM

722 posts, read 2,100,492 times
Texas Workforce Commission?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:19 PM

50 posts, read 48,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Monster and the newspaper are a horrible plan to find the kind of job you're looking for.

Restaurants, bars & retail are going to be the easiest part-time jobs to find. You need to go "pound the pavement" and actually walk into these places and talk to the manager to see if they're hiring.

Temp agencies are swamped with unemployed people looking for any kind of work so if you're not 100% available all the time, you're not going to be attractive to them. Plus, they have so many temps on file that it's unlikely you'd ever get called.
Monster.com might be all right for temporary or part-time work. I don't recommend it for everything.

For more lucrative career opportunities, it's best to update your resume as often and as articulate as possible, network whenever possible, and do extensive research on the companies you are seeking employment.

But whether part-time or full-time, I agree that pounding the pavement and talking face to face with potential employers is the best way to go.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM

I guess it's time to go out and hit it. I was leery about working at a restaurant because of pay.

Not to sound greedy but If I'm going to stress myself out by working two jobs I at least want to get paid an alright amount of money.

Do servers get paid a decent amount of money in tips in the current economy? I'm sure bartenders make a decent amount of change, and sorry if this is a dumb question but, do you have to have some sort of certification or license to bartend in Texas?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Bartenders have to go to TABC class, but your employer will arrange it once you're hired. Servers usually have to get a food handler's card from the city, which, again, the employer arranges after hire.

In bartending and serving, your income depends on your skills and the strength of the establishment. The better bartender/server you are, and the busier the restaurant, the more you will make. Some bartenders and servers make $200+ in tips a night! Fast food usually pays $8-10 hourly depending on the location.

Yes, it is stressful working 2 jobs, and no, part-time work doesn't usually pay well. The trick is to find a better full-time job so you don't need to work 2 jobs. ;-)

Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Bartenders have to go to TABC class, but your employer will arrange it once you're hired. Servers usually have to get a food handler's card from the city, which, again, the employer arranges after hire.

In bartending and serving, your income depends on your skills and the strength of the establishment. The better bartender/server you are, and the busier the restaurant, the more you will make. Some bartenders and servers make $200+ in tips a night! Fast food usually pays $8-10 hourly depending on the location.

Yes, it is stressful working 2 jobs, and no, part-time work doesn't usually pay well. The trick is to find a better full-time job so you don't need to work 2 jobs. ;-)
Haha, yea I've tried getting a better job. No one will give me the time of day without a college degree. Not even a simple job such as a call center. . I'm currently a data processor but it doesn't pay as much as I would want to be paid.

Fast food is defiantly not in the picture for me. I worked at one when I was 16.. never again.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,065 times
Keep trying, a lot of places are going to be hiring for the seasonal time very soon. Walk the malls if you want retail. I know a few Best Buys that are hiring, movie theaters hire for the season as well.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
I know the fed ex is cutting people but around the holidays their traffic always picks up
big fed ex facility in Irving/Las Colinas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas