Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 PM

27 posts, read 95,263 times

Advertisements

We have finally decided on two houses in Plano near the light rail so that I won't have to drive downtown. One is on Legacy midway between the toll road and 75, a big house in Forest Estates at a good price. But no view, and the traffic does seem a little heavy on Legacy.

The other faces the golf course in Chase Oaks, and is closer to 75 but there doesnt seem to be a lot around that area (shopping, doctors, etc) except for a Chinese shopping mall that has sprung up and our realtor says it might not be a good resale because of th HUGE number of apartment complexes around the golf course. It has a GREAT view of the golf course. Negative is no master down.

Anyone who really knows Dallas and Plano, please give me input on these neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:28 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,726,784 times
I'd say keep looking.....

Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I'd say keep looking.....
Why would you say that? Are they bad neighborhoods? Both are nice homes are in the 300,000s. Really...I want to know, we are from Houston and don't know Dallas.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,025,279 times
based on what you said--
most people would not want a house by a golf course--errant shots being one reason--
and the only positive comments you really make is that they are both close to light rail...

don't know anything specific about either area myself
I would send PMs to two realtors on this forum who have some experience in Dallas area
nsumner is one and Rankin is another
don't know if they would answer your questions since it might violate professional ethics
what does your realtor say---
is this a company relocation?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,368,719 times
"Being close to the DART rail" isn't something that a critical mass of DFW residents look for in a home right now. If that is the redeeming quality of both, I'd pass too.

There are simply too many homes on the market in the Plano/Richardso corridor along 75 that you should settle for one that's one a busier street than you would like or doesn't have the floorplan you want.

Apartments - and this is not a PC statemet at all- are NOT good for resale, especially if the tenants are minorit/ low income/ refugee variety (as opposed to the upwardly mobile young professional renters). The schools in East Plano are less desirable (which affects your resale significantly) and many have seen a huge influx of African and Middle Eastern refugees (Rwanda, Somalia, Iraq) over the past 10 years. Great for them, but most parents get frustrated when time in those classes is spent on teaching immigrant kids English as opposed to actually learning like the schools in West Plano can do.

If the fact that there is little retail nearby bothers you, it's going to bother the next set of buyers who see your home when you sell.

You say you want a "view"- very few homes (especially newer construction since the lots are so small and packed together tightly) have a view in the $300k price range. That may be a concession you need to make to find a more suitable home in a better location.

Have you looked in Murphy, east of 75 parallel to Plano? Bigger lots there and in your price range. Or in Richardson? Older homes but bigger lots and even closer to downtown.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 PM

Thanks for your insight, it does help. The rail is something important to me because I work in deep downtown and do not relish rush hour commutes AT ALL. We used the metro in the DC area and it made life so much better. The other element is family in Southlake, but I already figured taht I would not want that commute to downtown. We looked in Carrollton (light rail coming in and closer to Southlake) but the realtor really tried to dissuade us from Carrollton. We also like the north Dallas area but 300-375,000 gets mostly older homes that need to be updated. Have looked in Richardson only in the Canyon Creek/Prairie Creek area with no results--eitherh don't like or can't afford. Will check out the rest of it.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:13 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,497,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSun2Step View Post
We have finally decided on two houses in Plano near the light rail so that I won't have to drive downtown. One is on Legacy midway between the toll road and 75, a big house in Forest Estates at a good price. But no view, and the traffic does seem a little heavy on Legacy.

The other faces the golf course in Chase Oaks, and is closer to 75 but there doesnt seem to be a lot around that area (shopping, doctors, etc) except for a Chinese shopping mall that has sprung up and our realtor says it might not be a good resale because of th HUGE number of apartment complexes around the golf course. It has a GREAT view of the golf course. Negative is no master down.

Anyone who really knows Dallas and Plano, please give me input on these neighborhoods.
Do you mean Forest Creek Estates -- ??? If it's the neighborhood I'm thinking about -- between Coit and Independence, south of Legacy, north of Spring Creek, with large older homes on large-ish lots near the Chisholm Trail park -- then that is a lovely neighborhood. We looked there ourselves and would have bought there if the right house had come along. We loved the proximity to the walking trail and the quiet, well-kept feel of the neighborhood.

I agree with the others about Chase Oaks -- nice enough houses, but overall I'm not a fan of the area and there's really no reason to live near a golf course unless you're passionate about golf.

Best of luck!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Yes it is Forest Creek Estates off legacy. That is a nice neighborhood, was just wondering about the rest of the area.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,857,509 times
In the price range I'm assuming you're looking at to be in the areas you're talking about, you need master downstairs or it will hurt your resale a LOT!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
In the price range I'm assuming you're looking at to be in the areas you're talking about, you need master downstairs or it will hurt your resale a LOT!

That's good to know, no one told us that. Another strike against Chase Oak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas