Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 03:19 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,799,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
From this report it sounds like the Savage-Lundy and Hite's Cove trails connect.

https://sierranewsonline.com/hiking-...e-lundy-trail/
I was wondering about that! Their car was parked by the gate to SNF which I believe opens into Hite Cove, which then trails into Savage-Lundy which then leads to Devil's Gulch.

I am curious to know how far they had hiked in terms of miles. Supposedly, they were on their way back to the car (only 1.5 miles from the car), but if they were found in or near DG, that doesn't make sense. I must be missing something.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:40 PM

15,702 posts, read 9,377,037 times
Quote:
From this report it sounds like the Savage-Lundy and Hite's Cove trails connect.

https://sierranewsonline.com/hiking-...e-lundy-trail/
Yeah, I don't believe that is the Savage-Lundy Trail. For some weird reason people confuse the Hite's Cove Trail with the Savage-Lundy Trail. But if you study the maps you can see that the Savage-Lundy Trail where the bodies were found is a completely separate trail. The only connection the two have is that the trailhead for the Savage-Lundy Trail is on Hite's Cove Road.

The Hite's Cove Trail is a very popular trail that people use to get down to those old mining camps. But it doesn't appear that most local people could even find the actual Savage-Lundy Trail, if they wanted to. That is how obscure the Savage-Lundy Trail is.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:57 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,276,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I was wondering about that! Their car was parked by the gate to SNF which I believe opens into Hite Cove, which then trails into Savage-Lundy which then leads to Devil's Gulch.

I am curious to know how far they had hiked in terms of miles. Supposedly, they were on their way back to the car (only 1.5 miles from the car), but if they were found in or near DG, that doesn't make sense. I must be missing something.
We wouldn’t know how far they went before perhaps turning back?
The trail is total 8.5 miles and as you pointed out they were found 1.5 miles from their car.
Did they make it all the way and then nearly back?
I don’t think there is any way to find out

Old 08-27-2021, 04:07 PM

6,869 posts, read 5,186,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah, I don't believe that is the Savage-Lundy Trail. For some weird reason people confuse the Hite's Cove Trail with the Savage-Lundy Trail. But if you study the maps you can see that the Savage-Lundy Trail where the bodies were found is a completely separate trail. The only connection the two have is that the trailhead for the Savage-Lundy Trail is on Hite's Cove Road.
From the text and photographs in the trip report, to me it sounds like that trail sign (showing distances to Hite's Cove, Peach Tree Bar, etc) is down near the river. I haven't seen a map that shows this, but I haven't looked very hard.

It's mostly a moot point, although it opens the possibility they hiked farther than we've been assuming.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:20 PM

22,195 posts, read 13,358,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
We wouldn’t know how far they went before perhaps turning back?
The trail is total 8.5 miles and as you pointed out they were found 1.5 miles from their car.
Did they make it all the way and then nearly back?
I don’t think there is any way to find out
Most fit, active people today wear a Fitbit. They also use GPS and track their mileage/route as well as take pics of their hikes on their phones. I'm sure they're mining whatever electronic data they can.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:25 PM

5,526 posts, read 3,605,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
He researched it the day before to make sure the conditions would be unfavorable for other hikers, so he could lead his victims far enough down the trail to give them the poison with the good chance that no one else would discover them that day and they would be far enough away from the car so that she couldn't escape.
Wow, where did you read this?

Old 08-27-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Most fit, active people today wear a Fitbit. They also use GPS and track their mileage/route as well as take pics of their hikes on their phones. I'm sure they're mining whatever electronic data they can.
Good point regarding his cell phone: I forgot they can extrapolate the distance they hiked - unless he did not want/liked to be tracked for whatever reason and prevented it ?
He was a software developer

This leads to another question- as he is now deceased- what is about his password- who provided it for the LEO?
Looks like they already have access to it- pretty fast

Last edited by L00k4ward; 08-27-2021 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-27-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Wow, where did you read this?
Kara is just having fun with the murder/suicide theory!

I don’t think it would pan out: he is, after all, British!

Old 08-27-2021, 04:55 PM

15,702 posts, read 9,377,037 times
Quote:
From the text and photographs in the trip report, to me it sounds like that trail sign (showing distances to Hite's Cove, Peach Tree Bar, etc) is down near the river. I haven't seen a map that shows this, but I haven't looked very hard.

It's mostly a moot point, although it opens the possibility they hiked farther than we've been assuming.
I'm not sure if this helps, but here is my understanding of the geography of the area. From the Hite's Cove Trail to the Savage Lundy Trail is only a couple of miles, but not easy terrain.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:07 PM

22,195 posts, read 13,358,242 times
I don't think there's any reason to believe that they somehow ended up on Hite's Cove Trail from the Savage Lundy Trail (except that we have a couple of weeks to fill before toxicology results are in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events