Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 01:48 PM

29,599 posts, read 23,109,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
It was Devil’s Gulch trail near Mariposa Ca according to reports

Not so fast
I don’t think we discuss this:

The only other thing might have happened- if their dog accidentally ran into the water- and they saw the warning signs about algae- they might attempted to wash it off of the dog with their water supplies on impulse as it is usually recommended- and used up most of the water and started rationing it, but ended up dehydrated did not quite making it back to the car?
A long shot..
That was my theory as well. The dog is the key here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Or...just wait and see what the final ruling is.
Nah, no fun in that. We humans are a curious and speculative lot, we like order in this world, not chaos. We believe bad things happen only to bad people (kind of like how people feel about children left in hot cars). So we feel some measure of comfort if there is a logical explanation to things.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:49 PM

6,804 posts, read 4,553,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The most interesting thing about this tread is the pages and pages of wild speculation.

Geeze, if we can't wildly speculate and toss around some bizarre possibilities, why would we bother logging on?

Old 08-26-2021, 02:35 PM

29,599 posts, read 23,109,341 times
https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/myst...y/Devils+Gulch

Family + dog hiking death mystery near Yosemite:-gerrish-family-location-vehicle-copy.jpg

Timeline

-
  • Couple with their baby and dog, drove to start of trail on afternoon of August 15th. Their truck was parked 1.5 miles from their found bodies.
  • Family reported missing approximately 11 pm on August 16th by nanny. Husband did not show up for work Monday morning and that caused further concerns.
  • Sheriff started search on August 17th and found the truck by gate leading into the Hites Cove trail. Search and rescue found shoe and paw prints.
  • At 3:20 AM on August 17th, a helicopter was reserved to start a search during the day. Second search team assisted with search winding back on the loop.
  • Approximately 11 pm, 1.5 miles down switchbacks, the bodies were found in middle of trail. Husband in seated position, baby and dog next to him. Wife found up the hill. Based on these findings they feel family was finishing up their hike and returning to the truck.
  • Cell phone found in husband's pocket, no cell coverage where bodies located. Data analysis was performed on the phone to see potential activity but no information about this was released to the public.
  • Camelback bladder held a small amount of water. This water sent for testing but no results released yet.
  • There was no way to tell if the family went swimming anywhere because the bodies would have been dry by time they were found.
  • Two deputies slept near the bodies until they could be removed by helicopter next morning.

Investigation results so far
  • Autopsy completed on August 19th. No sign of physical trauma or foul play on the bodies. No suicide note. Still awaiting results of toxicology and full coroner's report.
  • Necropsy was performed on dog at UC Davis. Still awaiting results.
  • Water in camelback tested. Still awaiting results.
  • Bacteria bloom found near river tested. Still awaiting results, and testing of area continues. California Dept of Health has no record of humans dying from drinking water with cyanobacterial toxin. There is however records of animals including dogs dying from such exposures, and in some cases succumbing quickly.
  • The bodies were 3 miles from an abandoned mine. Experts feel this is not a cause as one would have to actually be inside the mine to get deadly exposure levels.
  • Temperatures were anywhere from 98.6 F to 105 F depending on which source you believe. Dehydration is not believed to be a cause due to water remaining in Camelback and the death of the dog.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:38 PM

48,740 posts, read 35,480,067 times
Well it's 2021, and it's doing it's best to do worse than 2020.

I'll take a new, super deadly, cyanobacterial toxin for $1000 Alex.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-26-2021, 03:10 PM

51,812 posts, read 37,573,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well it's 2021, and it's doing it's best to do worse than 2020.

I'll take a new, super deadly, cyanobacterial toxin for $1000 Alex.
Yes, I was starting to get concerned about my honey going fishing reading that! We had a couple people in the last couple of years in rehab d/t flesh-eating bacteria and both had been fishing, so that's scary enough, but now we might have to worry about bacteria that can kill you in such a short amount of time?

I feel like a lot of this stuff is related to global warming, but IDK for sure. I hope we find out for sure at some point.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:17 PM

5,543 posts, read 3,644,345 times
Timeline

-
  • Sheriff started search on August 17th and found the truck by gate leading into the Hites Cove trail. Search and rescue found shoe and paw prints.
  • At 3:20 AM on August 17th, a helicopter was reserved to start a search during the day. Second search team assisted with search winding back on the loop.

Suburban_Guy, I snipped this to make it easier for my question. Was the helicopter really reserved only 3 hours and 20 minutes after they started the search and found the truck?

Old 08-26-2021, 03:18 PM

42,861 posts, read 26,804,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You're making a big assumption of what they died of. No one said they died of thirst. The dog could have easily gone to get a drink and come back if he were still healthy at that point. But for all any of us know he jumped in a toxic river and they stopped when he started convulsing, maybe that started all of it, we don't know. I still find it highly unlikely they died of thirst with water left in their bottle, even a little. In an area they were familiar with, that had water sources.

It is still very odd to me that no predator in an area full of coyotes and vultures, fed or were anywhere near the bodies as they lay there for 2 days.
And the fact that not one investigator has mentioned heat stroke or dehydration as a likely cause.
There are no recorded human deaths from exposure to or ingestion of Anatoxin-A.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:37 PM

51,812 posts, read 37,573,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are no recorded human deaths from exposure to or ingestion of Anatoxin-A.
Maybe it's not that, maybe it's a whole different strain. There are going to be a lot of things we have never seen/heard of before as the planet continues to warm and living things, including bacteria, evolve to survive, who knows? It sounds like they are pretty much ruling out dehydration, so there are few other things I can think of, and some kind of toxin seems to make sense, for the entire family to succumb in a short time.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:59 PM

42,861 posts, read 26,804,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe it's not that, maybe it's a whole different strain. There are going to be a lot of things we have never seen/heard of before as the planet continues to warm and living things, including bacteria, evolve to survive, who knows? It sounds like they are pretty much ruling out dehydration, so there are few other things I can think of, and some kind of toxin seems to make sense, for the entire family to succumb in a short time.
That's the strain they have isolated from that area. I don't buy the toxin theory, it wouldn't kill them all at the same time and that appears to be what happened except for the wife who was 30 yards away. To be honest, I don't think we will ever know, even if the cause of death is discovered. Personally, I think it was murder/suicide or foul play.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:04 PM

15,745 posts, read 9,474,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If you watch the videos of the trail posted earlier, you'll see that it was narrow in parts with a steep drop.
Again those videos were not of the trail they were found on. They were found on the Savage-Lundy Trail, not the Hite Cove Trail depicted in those videos. I believe the Savage-Lundy Trail is a much worse trail. It was a poorly maintained trail even before the fire that burned through the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events