Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2021, 07:18 PM

22,248 posts, read 13,459,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
All right, experienced hikers, throw in your 2 cents.

I used to be able to hike for eight hours, but that was in my early twenties (I used to do this at night in Southern Arizona), on my own. One thing I learned as a parent is that kids slow things up, as do groups of people. So in this case, we have to assume everyone was capable of that lunchhour hike. Maybe they were, who knows? I'm only speaking from my experience of hiking, hiking with dogs, and my advancing years. But I'm not the hardiest of people by any stretch.

Edit to add: and keep in mind it was 105 degrees. That IS Phoenix-worthy.
I'm not rereading all the posts, but I'm pretty sure I read it was more like low-mid 90s.

Not 105.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,166,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I found this when I went to the site you linked above. It seems like bringing a dog isn't highly recommended. I wonder, being relatively new to the area, if this couple knew much about this trail and the steepness of the terrain.
They were familiar with the trail as they had hiked it multiple times before.

Your link also doesn't say dogs are not recommended. It's just that you should keep them on the trail and to leave less friendly dogs at home. There's nothing to indicate the dog in question was agreasive towards strangers.

Quote:
(I was also reminded that reservations are required right now at the parks due to Covid. Does that mean you have to leave in a certain time frame? If this is the case are rangers checking the parking lots at trailheads to make sure you don't overstay? I am having a hard time understanding a logical explanation for this tragic situation.)
There's nothing on the Sierra National Forest's website about needing a reservation to enter. That's only for some of the National Parks. Even then, the reservations are only for entering the park. Once in, you can stay as long as you want, or even go early/late in the day before reservations are required.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:33 PM

632 posts, read 302,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not rereading all the posts, but I'm pretty sure I read it was more like low-mid 90s.

Not 105.
It was estimated at 107-109 for last Sunday afternoon.

Quote:

Authorities are investigating deadly gas exposure from unknown mines, toxic bacteria blooms in the waterways and basic dehydration — it was 107 to 109 degrees Sunday afternoon when officials believe they hiked.
People hit paywalls on SFChronicle, but here's the link in case you're able to read it.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...g-16401921.php

I was trying to be conservative with my 105 quote.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:22 PM

18,073 posts, read 17,093,980 times
I thought they were hiking the Savage Lundy trail.

I have never hiked in 105+ degree weather, that sounds extreme.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:56 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,220,638 times
It is very confusing, first they said it may have to do with algae or carbon monoxide poisoning, then two days later they said it was being investigated as a homicide because the algae toxicity level wasn't that high, and today they said it was not homicide. Somebody mentioned murder suicide, maybe with a drug that made them all go into a deep sleep without pain and that's why there are no marks on the bodies. Even the dog died They will probably interview family and friends to see if there were problems with their jobs or with each other. They seem so happy though in the pictures.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I thought they were hiking the Savage Lundy trail.

I have never hiked in 105+ degree weather, that sounds extreme.
It was that hot when they were hiking (?!?!) and with a baby! Babies get dehydrated very quickly just like the elderly.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Not 105.
Even mid 90s is pretty unhealthy especially hiking - if you were just sitting in the shade on your porch drinking a ice lemonade, no problem but hiking with a baby? And, it's not good for dogs either with all their fur, they can't take it off. They seem like really bright people with successful careers, you would think they would know better than to take a baby and dog hiking with them. This is the third story in a month I've read about someone hiking in extreme hot weather and they died.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:06 AM

Dyatlov Pass - this mystery reminds me of.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:27 AM

17,499 posts, read 11,555,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Even mid 90s is pretty unhealthy especially hiking - if you were just sitting in the shade on your porch drinking a ice lemonade, no problem but hiking with a baby? And, it's not good for dogs either with all their fur, they can't take it off. They seem like really bright people with successful careers, you would think they would know better than to take a baby and dog hiking with them. This is the third story in a month I've read about someone hiking in extreme hot weather and they died.
Keep in mind these temps are not extreme for CA and people who live there are used to it. People are out doors all the time, especially young people in these temps with their babies in tow every day. I've lived in the SW for many years and worked all summer outdoors in extreme heat sometimes. People still have very active lives despite the heat. Many people hike in heat in CA, very few end up dead. Mid 90s would be a cool day in many parts in summer.

As far as dogs go, dogs fur has the ability to keep them cool in summer as well as warm in winter. If you want to give a dog heat stroke, shave his fur off and put him out in the sun.

Millions of dogs live in desert areas that get extremely hot in summer, yet they don't get heat stroke just by being outdoors as long as they can get to shade. Hiking at a humans pace is easy for a med size dog, and not strenuous unless the dog is elderly or sick. This dog unless tied down out in the sun, would have found shade easily.

Last edited by marino760; 08-23-2021 at 02:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 02:39 AM

3,969 posts, read 1,885,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, 3 people and a dog don't all die together of heat stroke. One might die, then the other carries on to get help for a little while. They don't all drop dead together, especially the dog which has a very different metabolism than a human. The baby wouldn't have died of heat stroke as long as one of the parents were still alive. The baby just had to sit there being carried and probably would have been covered with something to keep her shaded if things were that bad. Yes, it was hot, but it wasn't Phoenix either.
I agree and if it was toxic algae or fumes from the mine there certainly would be dead birds, fish or other animals nearby.

This is quite a mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events