Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,098,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This discussion about restraining with a stroller vs. leash came from post #8, LO28 saying that leashes shouldn't be used to corral children; if the mother couldn't keep control of her child, he should be in a stroller not on a leash.

Then there was the debate about restraining children in a stroller vs. a leash.

I think we all know strollers are for transportation, except in post #8, where they are to restrain a wanderer.
("p.s. Mom, ever heard of a stroller?")
So a stroller seems to be more socially acceptable as a restraint than a leash. JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 6 days ago)

35,935 posts, read 18,238,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So a stroller seems to be more socially acceptable as a restraint than a leash. JMO.
Yes, it does appear that way. Although a stroller is MUCH more restrictive of the child than a leash.

I agree with you.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,173,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Can't you buy a cheap umbrella stroller that folds pretty small? We used to take those internationally.

I went and bought two different umbrella strollers tonight. I'll figure out which one I'd like to use. We'll see how it goes

Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
We have traveled with our two children by plane, ship, train, and car to multiple countries around the world since they were infants. Perhaps it is condescending of you to think other people don't know anything.

I don't know why you are getting so bent out of shape. I have stated multiple times that I don't have a problem with other parents using leashes. It was not for us, but my children are not their children. You were the one who asked "what is the difference?" and I answered your question.

ETA: as far as the very sad case of toddler's dying, ClaraC mentioned how she would rather her toddler wear a leash than die. I totally understand that and agree with that. But the facts are, the vast majority of children who sadly pass away are not doing so because they are not wearing leashes. These are devastating illness, SIDS, drownings, shootings, car accidents, etc.
No, but the major cause of death for kids this age is accidents. The child had an accident. You do what you need to do in the situation you're in to prevent an accident.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:08 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,978,115 times
Just to be clear - this isn't the baggage collection area which is traditionally a point of chaos with everyone trying to reach in and grab there bag, this is the gate check-in area -usually less chaotic with a roped off queue and manned by gate agents and often by TSA. The toddler would have had to first bypass the line and then climb around the check in counter, he wouldn't have even likely known the belt was there from the boarding pass kiosk.

The point here being that there can be other simple controls put in place to prevent access to this area, although this would be so rare as to contemplate "why bother" - maybe a better barrier between the customer area and behind the gate. Another thing is that he must have been unattended so long as to explore and find this area behind the gate on his own (not a matter or seconds, but minutes - this wasn't a case of "looking away briefly") that it indicates mom inattention at a level as to be considered unacceptable in any public forum. Worst things can happen - in a mall, at a fair, in any public venue.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:18 AM

9,549 posts, read 7,111,525 times
Quote:
No, but the major cause of death for kids this age is accidents. The child had an accident. You do what you need to do in the situation you're in to prevent an accident.
Yes, you are correct that the major cause of death are sadly accidents or "unintended injury".

But again, in the majority of these deaths, a leash (or a stroller for that matter) would not have helped.

The number one cause of death ages 1-4 are drownings; in ages 5 and up it is car accidents.

In ages 1-4, other major causes of death, and grouped under the label of "injuries" are: car accidents, poisonings, choking, firearms, and house fires. The unintended injuries are statistically mostly caused by situations where a leash or a stroller would have had little to no effect.

To reiterate: "injuries" equals drowning, car wrecks, fires, gunshot wounds, choking, and poisoning. The situation where either device is most helpful is to prevent young children from running into traffic, not in any of these sad situations.

The places to be extra cautious are near water, in cars, and around the home. In all these situations, it is necessary for the adult to be extra vigilant and extra careful.

https://www.cdc.gov/safechild/child_injury_data.html

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 07-26-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 11:20 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 6 days ago)

35,935 posts, read 18,238,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just to be clear - this isn't the baggage collection area which is traditionally a point of chaos with everyone trying to reach in and grab there bag, this is the gate check-in area -usually less chaotic with a roped off queue and manned by gate agents and often by TSA. The toddler would have had to first bypass the line and then climb around the check in counter, he wouldn't have even likely known the belt was there from the boarding pass kiosk.

The point here being that there can be other simple controls put in place to prevent access to this area, although this would be so rare as to contemplate "why bother" - maybe a better barrier between the customer area and behind the gate. Another thing is that he must have been unattended so long as to explore and find this area behind the gate on his own (not a matter or seconds, but minutes - this wasn't a case of "looking away briefly") that it indicates mom inattention at a level as to be considered unacceptable in any public forum. Worst things can happen - in a mall, at a fair, in any public venue.
If customers can easily access the point where luggage can bypass airport employees, that's an enormous problem. And it has nothing to do at all with the safety of a toddler.

In this airport, if a customer can approach that luggage belt and place a piece of luggage that is not tied to a specific passenger on that belt, sight unseen, they have something here that needs fixing!

Old 07-26-2019, 11:24 AM

20,034 posts, read 9,571,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I honestly don’t think you should be so hard on this mother. Some very young children do very unexpected things. And for an adventuresome kid like this, maybe some sort of tether would be wise.

In my own case, in spite of paying close attention to my granddaughter, she ran ahead of me once and hopped onto an elevator. The door closed with me standing there yelling, “Wait!” It all ended well, but I had not anticipated her action. And it was scary for me. She seemed OK throughout the experience.

Sometimes kids just do unexpected things.
Well, don't you know that responsible parents NEVER make a mistake and they ALWAYS anticipate their children's every move? (sarcasm)

P.S. Of course I am not excusing those parents who do truly stupid things -- such as allowing a one-year-old to be in a wading pool without supervision or have a loaded gun in the house where a child can reach it, etc. I am talking about instances like a toddler suddenly darting away like what you described or deciding to see what would happen if s/he flushes her toys or socks down the toilet, etc.

Last edited by katharsis; 07-26-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct that the major cause of death are sadly accidents or "unintended injury".

But again, in the majority of these deaths, a leash (or a stroller for that matter) would not have helped.

The number one cause of death ages 1-4 are drownings; in ages 5 and up it is car accidents.

In ages 1-4, other major causes of death, and grouped under the label of "injuries" are: car accidents, poisonings, choking, firearms, and house fires. The unintended injuries are statistically mostly caused by situations where a leash or a stroller would have had little to no effect.

To reiterate: "injuries" equals drowning, car wrecks, fires, gunshot wounds, choking, and poisoning. The situation where either device is most helpful is to prevent young children from running into traffic, not in any of these sad situations.

The places to be extra cautious are near water, in cars, and around the home. In all these situations, it is necessary for the adult to be extra vigilant and extra careful.

https://www.cdc.gov/safechild/child_injury_data.html
So what? In this particular situation, a leash would have helped. We're talking about this incident. You're getting silly with talking about how the majority of kids who die would not have been helped by leashes, which actually started out with you saying "The majority of toddlers are not walking around leashed, and are not dying in great numbers". I pointed out that the leading cause of death in this age group is accidents, which is what this thread is about, an accident at an airport. The prevention depends on the type of accident.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:35 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,111,525 times
Quote:
So what? In this particular situation, a leash would have helped. We're talking about this incident. You're getting silly with talking about how the majority of kids who die would not have been helped by leashes, which actually started out with you saying "The majority of toddlers are not walking around leashed, and are not dying in great numbers". I pointed out that the leading cause of death in this age group is accidents, which is what this thread is about, an accident at an airport. The prevention depends on the type of accident.

You and others are claiming that a leash is necessary to prevent death by injury.

Thankfully this child didn't die.
And in the vast majority of death by injury, a leash would have made no difference.

So how necessary are leashes?

Not very.

A stroller would have helped, an adult who was more vigilant would have helped, instructing the child would have helped. A leash is not the only answer.

If you are going to debate me, please stop with the personal insults. I am not calling YOU names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events