Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I agree with you, I don't "want" to watch the video but I am very curious to see what happened.

I don't think the guy should be charged; this was just a terrible accident AFAIK.

The tape must show otherwise or there wouldn't be charges filed.

Prosecutors are humans too, they're not looking to ruin that guy's life even more than it already is just for kicks.
I agree.

I'm curious for someone to describe what's on the video, though. Did he actually seat this little one one the handrail, and then somehow unexpectedly lose balance?

Old 10-30-2019, 07:31 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
He may very well WANT to. But again, he is 50, not 80 or 90. The chances of his passing away naturally from the stress at age 50 are very slight.
He's only 50? Is that all? Looking from the pictures of him, I thought he looked like a grandfather would look and thought he was in his 70s. He looked a lot older and he carried weight around his middle. Off the subject, but this guy is almost a decade younger than Tom Cruise. Maybe, he was dizzy or he had diabetes and was experiencing low blood sugar. I hope they did a physical on him, I still think there is maybe an issue with his eyes. He's a software engineer, isn't he? Probably looking at screens all day and the blue light.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If there was literally only ONE window open, that does make me wonder about their statement that windows being open was essential for ventilation.

If this does go to civil court, it will be an interesting case to follow.
It's definitely going to civil court, the family said they made a vow to bring a lawsuit against Royal Caribbean. Only two days after the accident, the family already retained a civil attorney and he held a press conference on how Royal was negligent in leaving the window opened and not having a sign out there and repeatedly stating that the area was a Children's area.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
It's definitely going to civil court, the family said they made a vow to bring a lawsuit against Royal Caribbean. Only two days after the accident, the family already retained a civil attorney and he held a press conference on how Royal was negligent in leaving the window opened and not having a sign out there and repeatedly stating that the area was a Children's area.
They haven't filed the civil lawsuit yet.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If there was literally only ONE window open, that does make me wonder about their statement that windows being open was essential for ventilation.

If this does go to civil court, it will be an interesting case to follow.
The windows are needed for ventilation. It gets hot in the Caribbean, a cross breeze is needed on those open decks to make it enjoyable for passengers to sit out there.

The windows were most likely closed because this was the first day of this cruise, and the cleaning crew had cleaned the outside of the windows earlier that day. Since this was the side the faced the pier, it's likely that not a lot of passengers were opening the windows to enjoy the view of the docks.

Not to mention people hadn't been on the ship very long, so there probably weren't a whole lot of people lounging out on that deck yet. Most people check out their rooms, explore the entire ship, and get a bit to eat when they first get on the ship.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The windows are needed for ventilation. It gets hot in the Caribbean, a cross breeze is needed on those open decks to make it enjoyable for passengers to sit out there.

The windows were most likely closed because this was the first day of this cruise, and the cleaning crew had cleaned the outside of the windows earlier that day. Since this was the side the faced the pier, it's likely that not a lot of passengers were opening the windows to enjoy the view of the docks.

Not to mention people hadn't been on the ship very long, so there probably weren't a whole lot of people lounging out on that deck yet. Most people check out their rooms, explore the entire ship, and get a bit to eat when they first get on the ship.
If it was needed for comfort and ventilation, it seems to me the crew would have opened more than one window.

Even if they'd been just recently cleaned. If it was "necessary for ventilation", the crew would clean the windows, and open them. Didn't happen.

Since the RCC's response to the open window was, "it was needed for ventilation".

Sundaydrive, I do understand the concept of cross-breezes to cool things off. It does appear here, there was a cross-breeze. This was one window.

A little hard to defend in civil court as "needed" for "ventilation" when that wasn't happening.

I guess we'll see how this plays out in court.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:08 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
He's only 50? Is that all? Looking from the pictures of him, I thought he looked like a grandfather would look and thought he was in his 70s. He looked a lot older and he carried weight around his middle. Off the subject, but this guy is almost a decade younger than Tom Cruise. Maybe, he was dizzy or he had diabetes and was experiencing low blood sugar. I hope they did a physical on him, I still think there is maybe an issue with his eyes. He's a software engineer, isn't he? Probably looking at screens all day and the blue light.
I thought he was older too like mid 70’s or more. I was shocked to hear he’s only 50. I’m older than him and he looks like he could be my Dad.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:10 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
I have been on that ship. That wasn’t a children’s play area and yes windows are open and you can tell. The video has to show negligence for him to be charged. I would not sue the cruise line. I doubt I could ever forgive him.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have been on that ship. That wasn’t a children’s play area and yes windows are open and you can tell. The video has to show negligence for him to be charged. I would not sue the cruise line. I doubt I could ever forgive him.
Do you disagree with the news sources who say only one window was open?

Also, why would you say that wasn't a children's play area? Looks to me, that's a children's play area. That's the area, surrounding a children's pool.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:16 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well they're beyond grief stricken. It's probably the only way they can currently process this tragedy.

This couple may end up divorcing, many times when a child dies the parents just can't bear it, and split up.

Add in that the grandfather did this, I don't see how you can past this.
Yes true. Honestly if this was my Dad I don’t think I’d ever be able to truly forgive him and move on completely. Just to horrible to live with it daily as it is. Every time I’d see my Dad I’d think of him killing my baby accidentally or not. I’d also be very afraid of ever letting him alone with any of my other children. I’d never trust him again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events