Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 09:37 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
It is a shame, isn’t it?
As if people completely lost common sense and need all the petty warnings to “safeguard” them from their stupidity.
“Watch your step”, “Don’t lean on the glass”, “Slippery when wet”, “Graphic content- viewer discretion is advised”, “Careful- the beverage is hot”, etc, etc
Now “the window could be open, don’t put your toddler beyond a safety rail? She may fall”??
How much does it cost to put signs like that up? Not much.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Grandpa is pleading guilty. Will be on probation. Insists he thought the open window was glassed in.

Civil suit will go forward.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:44 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Do we really have to spell out everything, though? Do people not have common sense anymore?

I saw a can of powdered formula that had a warning to mix with water before feeding to baby. What idiot tried to feed a baby powder from a can?

Old 02-27-2020, 09:53 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Do we really have to spell out everything, though? Do people not have common sense anymore?

I saw a can of powdered formula that had a warning to mix with water before feeding to baby. What idiot tried to feed a baby powder from a can?

Window screens, now have to have a warming on them, saying they are only intended as insect guard, not a grill, Some fool threw a child out the window, & sued the screen company, saying it thought it was a barrier. Of course it all adds to the manufacturing cost. I don't think common sense is very common.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Do you post those sign up in your home? I know I don't and don't want them when I'm taking a luxury cruise either.

Signs like that snuff any comfort and welcoming I want to live in.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The video doesn't show that, at all. What you can see is the grandpa leans forward, with her in his arms. There is a wall/visual barrier that is preventing you from seeing where she is held specifically - by my calculations, it was AT the plane of the window, and not THRU the plane of the window.

When I do a mock-up of the measurements, I agree with the family. He wasn't holding her out the window, and he didn't put his head out the window because that's physically impossible unless he were standing on a step stool.

I agree it's odd he didn't notice the window was open, and it wasn't a factor of color blindness, but I don't think he stuck his head through the open window, or placed her through the open window. The window is at such a slant, that if he placed her in a position to touch the window, and she slipped away, she'd fall through the window although at the time she wasn't dangled outside.

And I truly hope the civil case goes to trial so these questions can be rested once and for all.
When you do a mock-up of the measurements, you should conclude that the distance was in and of itself a safety measure, and that the grandfather, in lifting her that far out, voided the safety measure. If he'd let go with her on the handrail, she would have fallen to the floor. He's the one who held her so far out that she actually fell eleven stories.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We will probably never know, but there are several possibilities as I see it. She was obviously a mobile child, not a little baby, so what happened was most likely a combination of his actions + her actions, rather than her simply being held outside the window and then dropped. In fact, considering her size (+/- 25 pounds), he really would hardly have been holding her suspended at arm's length for very long.

She could have been standing on the windowsill, but held by him, so kind of leaning back against his arms/hands. If she simultaneously leaned forward to touch the window and he let go at that moment, momentum would carry her out the window.

Or, she could have spent most of the time sitting on the railing, but at the point where he decided to let her "bang on the window," she leaned forward, put her feet on the windowsill, and her upper body continued to move outwards.

She could have been sitting/standing on the railing for most of the time, until at the end he picked her up and moved her toward the window. He overshot (since there was no glass) and then she possibly squirmed, he lost his grip, and she fell. In a case like this, he would have actually put her outside but it wouldn't really be described as "dangling."

We'll never know, since there won't be a trial. The salient points though are that he did lift her over the railing, circumventing the safety precautions that were in place, and that they stood there for a length of time (>30 seconds) which would normally be enough for any person of sound mind to recognize that the window was open. The window is not that far from the railing!

And it wasn't as though they walked up to the window, he immediately hoisted her up, and she fell, all in a matter of a few seconds. I get the impression that was what the family wanted people to believe, though.
I think Chloe would have realized there was no window. I wonder, if realizing that, she squirmed to turn back to grandfather, and that is how he lost his grip.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
If he didn't realize he was putting her at an open window, who's to say he would have noticed any signs?

Old 02-27-2020, 11:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
How does someone be on a cruise and not realize those windows open?

Who would let a kid pound on a window that is so high up anyway?

How could a grown, mentally able adult not know the window was open at the time?

Why would anyone place a kid over a handrail like that, a rail that is in place because the area is so high up?

The 34 seconds the kid was there, he did not realize the window was open? The only way the kid fell out was either he dangled her out, or he placed her on the window edge, both scenarios it would have been evident right away the window was open.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:59 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When you do a mock-up of the measurements, you should conclude that the distance was in and of itself a safety measure, and that the grandfather, in lifting her that far out, voided the safety measure. If he'd let go with her on the handrail, she would have fallen to the floor. He's the one who held her so far out that she actually fell eleven stories.
Exactly. There simply is no question that the fault lies with the Gf, 100%. No question. None. No reasonable person would have done what he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events