Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:13 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's a bit suspicious. Apparently there are people who do not look to see if there is ground under their feet, which is odd enough, but as she moved forward, the stroller would have dropped and you'd think she'd notice that the stroller was falling and not just step along behind it.

I think there might be a bit more to this story.
Well, the gal survived so if she was pushed etc. she would have said so.

So what is suspicious? I doubt she threw herself down an 80 foot shaft to really "sell it".

Accidents happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
She must have been completely distracted (looking at something else). I always look in an elevator to see who else is inside. I would think especially when pushing a stroller in fron of you. Do you really just push a stroller into someone's shins?

Anyway, I feel for this poor woman and her baby.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:56 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I'm pretty sure you could have made the same mistake.

The elevator "dings", the door opens, most people wouldn't think twice. They would just walk in.

Just not lest ye be judged.
So you don't look where you're walking then? I know I do. You must be distracted in some way to not notice that the elevator isn't there, and to step literally off the platform and drop 8 floors. Come on.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
If its a big stroller, it might have blocked a lot of her view. But I see a lot of people with their noses buried in their smart phones, navigating on instinct. Also instinct to hold on to the stroller even if its falling down a elevator shaft.

Not blaming the mom. But it seems really probable that it could happen on accident.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:00 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If its a big stroller, it might have blocked a lot of her view.
True, it might have been a really big stroller, or it may have been the size of 99% of strollers and she is only 2 feet tall.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:04 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
True, it might have been a really big stroller, or it may have been the size of 99% of strollers and she is only 2 feet tall.
I am 5'8" and couldn't see in front of my larger stroller that I used when my kids were infants and couldn't sit up. Those things are huge and bulky and so heavy. I was so glad to switch to lightweight ones when they could sit up. Lots of my friends stuck with their giant strollers though.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:11 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am 5'8" and couldn't see in front of my larger stroller that I used when my kids were infants and couldn't sit up. Those things are huge and bulky and so heavy. I was so glad to switch to lightweight ones when they could sit up. Lots of my friends stuck with their giant strollers though.
Still doesn't explain the fact that looking straight ahead and/or up into the doors, she still should have been able to see that there was no car there.

I don't think this was her fault and neither will a court in a torts case but I do think she was more likely than not somehow distracted and completely not looking at or into the elevator doors at all.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:30 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
She must have been completely distracted (looking at something else). I always look in an elevator to see who else is inside. I would think especially when pushing a stroller in fron of you. Do you really just push a stroller into someone's shins?

Anyway, I feel for this poor woman and her baby.

Umm....I would argue it's the other way around. It was the elevator repair people who were distracted and couldn't do their jobs safely or correctly.

Also, this woman couldn't have pushed a stroller "into someone's shins" because there was no elevator when the doors opened up.

She probably realized, as she pushed the stroller in, that it was empty and gravity took her down along with the stroller.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
If you've ever seen elevator doors open with no elevators there, you'd understand how strange it is that she didn't notice. Surely she had a phone in her face or something.

Poor baby. Never had a chance.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
..but as she moved forward, the stroller would have dropped and you'd think she'd notice that the stroller was falling and not just step along behind it.

That's the first thing I thought, which made me think she might have backed in - but who backs up without even looking to see if people are trying to get off or if you might be backing in to someone. She probably realized it was falling and fell in trying to stop it and instead of just letting go and stopping/stepping back.

What a horrible way to die/lose a child. She will have to relive that moment as a woulda/soulda/coulda for the rest of her days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events