Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,312,384 times

Advertisements

If the 11-year-old was suffering from thirst or needed aid, I assume he would have sought a neighbor's help.

What the Hell is wrong with the world?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:53 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,150,448 times
My daughter left her 10 year old son home for an hour while she went to the store (Missouri has no age limit either). Someone called child services, and they showed up in a few minutes. the CPS worker actually got mad because my grandson did what he was told and wouldn't open the door, he called us instead, I live three blocks away. They even tried to write her up for child endangerment but of course it didn't stick. Some people just have too much time on their hands. (as a side note, my grandson is about 5'6" and weighs about 200 lbs and has 6 years training in martial arts. I think he could have taken the CPS worker).

Old 06-16-2015, 10:12 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,984,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
This seems like a hoax. I can't imagine this really happening.
It's been happening a lot lately throughout the country.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,855,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Don't you think if this was a real story there would be a location? A statement from the police or CPS? An interview with the neighbor? A lawyer, at least, speaking out on behalf of the parents? This is nonsense.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 PM

35,134 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Don't you think if this was a real story there would be a location? A statement from the police or CPS? An interview with the neighbor? A lawyer, at least, speaking out on behalf of the parents? This is nonsense.
How about this in Westchester County, New York (link).

Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,159,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
It seems to be required now that parents be over protective and micro-manage their children's lives.
That's the rub, isn't it? If parents are overprotective/involved, we label them as helicopter parents. If they're not, they could potentially have the cops called on them.

(I realized there is a ton of middle ground and gray area. But it seems that parents can't really win!)

Old 06-17-2015, 02:19 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,979,810 times
I would've charged the neighbour for false reporting.

By the way, as kids, in the early 2000s, we used to play outside for the whole day. The only complaints we got was that we were too loud. No idiot called the cops on us because we were "neglected". Lol...

And I think, back then, when it was fashionable for kids to play outside, the cops would've laughed if you were like "kids are playing outside, I think they're neglected". It's tragic that nowadays these cops take these "claims" seriously.

Last edited by Ethereal; 06-17-2015 at 02:54 AM..

Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My daughter left her 10 year old son home for an hour while she went to the store (Missouri has no age limit either). Someone called child services, and they showed up in a few minutes. the CPS worker actually got mad because my grandson did what he was told and wouldn't open the door, he called us instead, I live three blocks away. They even tried to write her up for child endangerment but of course it didn't stick. Some people just have too much time on their hands. (as a side note, my grandson is about 5'6" and weighs about 200 lbs and has 6 years training in martial arts. I think he could have taken the CPS worker).
I am impressed a cps worker responded that fast.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,194,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I can't help but feel a bit sorry for many kids growing up today. It seems to be required now that parents be over protective and micro-manage their children's lives. I grew up in the 50's & 60's, and I was anything but neglected. But what I was allowed to do in regards to activities with friends, and being 'out on my own' for periods of time would probably put my parents in jail today. I know the world we live in is different now, but still.. the treatment of the parents in the OP is going too far.
I'm only 22 and got to play outside a lot as a kid, and the term "neglect" never crossed anyone's mind. I had a lot of fun playing outside and yes, I even would wander around and be literally hundreds of feet from the nearest adult. I was probably 10 at this time. This was early 2000s. How did this go from perfectly good to unacceptable in just a decade?

Old 06-17-2015, 02:53 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,979,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I'm only 22 and got to play outside a lot as a kid, and the term "neglect" never crossed anyone's mind. I had a lot of fun playing outside and yes, I even would wander around and be literally hundreds of feet from the nearest adult. I was probably 10 at this time. This was early 2000s. How did this go from perfectly good to unacceptable in just a decade?
Ah yes...the early 2000s/late 90s. No tablets, no iphones, not much computers too...all we did was play outside the whole day with our friends until sundown. We were around 6-10. Those days were gold...

We were never neglected. We just had rights and privileges. Not to mention, playing outside is healthy as it made us active and in shape. Parents would've wanted that for us.

People are just getting more paranoid and frightened nowadays, methinks. Since most people (from 5 to 80) are on their computers nowadays, they get startled when they saw a bunch of kids playing outside? Let's face it, my neighborhood is immensely quiet. And we have a lot of kids around. They're all probably inside on their tabs. Heck, I think I would be like "the hell is he doing" if I were to see a kid roaming around the street all day long. Maybe playing outside is out of "fashion" nowadays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events