Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:53 PM

371 posts, read 457,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Anyone who tries to compare this to "Star Trek" can't be taken too seriously.

And it's not up for debate, growing up in the 70s parents didn't drive their kids over to fistfights or join in. If it did happen it was quite rare, you see adults used to break up fights between teens not encourage them, and it was the boys who were fighting, not girls(again it would be a rarity).

Now in addition to not helping, we have people standing around filming the violence.

If you're comfortable enough to stand 2 feet away from someone getting badly beaten and film it, than I don't want to hear about how AFRAID they were to get involved.

If you're afraid you leave the area, and if you're a halfway decent person you use that cell phone and call 911.

There has been a shift in society, and it isn't a good one.
No instead in the 70's, people looted the streets during a NY black out and people were killed left and right by homemade bombs, riots with police, whatever. In the 70's, people were understandably scared of assassination. In the 70's, we had some of the worst civil disobedience and random acts of violence occurring.

And girls not fighting? Please. I think your perception of the 70's doesn't involve impoverished black communities or impoverished white communities, because with gangs rampant and girls involved in them too, to say crime violence or these horrific acts are new today is just odd. Since its not the case.

You don't think there was crime happening in places like this?

New York Bronx (South Bronx) in the 70`s and 80`s - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 PM

33,124 posts, read 36,987,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Tort reform is a great issue for debate, and I'd love to talk about it with someone intelligently. I have some real-life examples. This isn't the thread for that, though.

McDonalds will be held liable. That's a slam-dunk. You, as a company, are responsible for what your employees do while on the clock or on your property. That's why we screen them before hiring. This is a nightmare example for an employer. The kind of thing that keeps a small-business employer up at night.

The CCW aspect is an interesting point of view. I'm an excellent shot, and a few weeks ago, if I had been carrying, my assailant would be dead. In my scenario though, I saw it coming and would have had time to get my gun.

THIS victim was likely blindsided, not just literally, but figuratively, because no one expects to be attacked just walking out of a McDonalds. I'm not sure the gun would have done her any good in this case.

We had a case here locally a few weeks ago that made national headlines, about a couple of cops and a CCW holder who ended up dead in a rampage, committed by some deranged people. They (the victims) didn't see it coming.
It wouldn't have done any good at all. The average citizen can't get a CC permit in NJ. The poor woman would have spent the next 25 years in prison.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:34 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,454,778 times
Horrible beating but I would be surprised if the attacker gets more than a year in jail. Assault and battery often get plead down to a pretty light sentence.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,832,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
No instead in the 70's, people looted the streets during a NY black out and people were killed left and right by homemade bombs, riots with police, whatever. In the 70's, people were understandably scared of assassination. In the 70's, we had some of the worst civil disobedience and random acts of violence occurring.

And girls not fighting? Please. I think your perception of the 70's doesn't involve impoverished black communities or impoverished white communities, because with gangs rampant and girls involved in them too, to say crime violence or these horrific acts are new today is just odd. Since its not the case.

You don't think there was crime happening in places like this?

New York Bronx (South Bronx) in the 70`s and 80`s - YouTube
Thanks for the history lesson, I was a kid in NY during the summer of 1977 when the blackout occurred, it wasn't all over the city. I remember it just like I remember Son of Sam.

You're right there was looting and there were riots, now go back to the blackout of 1965, no looting, no riots....right there in 12 yrs you can see a decline.

You completely missed my point, the decline in society has spread.

It was UNHEARD of in 1970s to see parents driving their kids on Long Island(you know the nice suburbs) to go have fights with other teens and than joining in....it didn't happen.

Get it now? This "ghetto" behavior has spread. Try reading a book called "Ghetto Nation", it discusses this in detail, and it includes all races before you pull the race card on me.

The behavior of ALL people has been declining, anyone over the age of 40 can see it, if they're paying attention.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 PM

371 posts, read 457,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thanks for the history lesson, I was a kid in NY during the summer of 1977 when the blackout occurred, it wasn't all over the city. I remember it just like I remember Son of Sam.

You're right there was looting and there were riots, now go back to the blackout of 1965, no looting, no riots....right there in 12 yrs you can see a decline.

You completely missed my point, the decline in society has spread.

It was UNHEARD of in 1970s to see parents driving their kids on Long Island(you know the nice suburbs) to go have fights with other teens and than joining in....it didn't happen.

Get it now? This "ghetto" behavior has spread. Try reading a book called "Ghetto Nation", it discusses this in detail, and it includes all races before you pull the race card on me.

The behavior of ALL people has been declining, anyone over the age of 40 can see it, if they're paying attention.
That's probably because we live in an Information Age where news spreads quickly and any idiot with a camera can have thousands viewing their actions in a minute. I doubt it would've been worth the newspaper's time back in the 'crumbling social 70's', to print a story that there's only a few witnesses of, and of course no video to test the accuracy of the witness. At best, it would've been in a 'Weird Stories' section.

I'm not denying their is a popularity of 'Ghetto Culture', and I have no intention of using the race card--as my earlier comment indicated--but its significance is small, mostly affects impoverished/minority communities, and was at its height in the early 2000's while corporations decided to promote gangsta rap to the 70% White consumers.

But to make any statement of significance about society doing outrageous things with pinpoint stories and little statistical evidence (in light of a large statistical crime drop in all levels since its height in the 70's and 80's), its understandably questionable.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 PM

123 posts, read 522,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What if it were a situation where a guy 6 foot 6 and 300 pounds of pure muscle was doing similar to a woman? Or a pack of criminals?
But it wasn't in this case. So...

Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 PM

123 posts, read 522,594 times
If she was going to lose her mind and beat anybody up, I'm not sure why it was the mother. Fast food places forget stuff all the time and it's no one's fault but the employees. If she was that disturbed, it was only a matter of time before something set her off. I'm not sure why the manager had to "scold" her necessarily about it though, but either way she was clearly not in her right mind. Why can't companies do mental health evaluations in some capacity for their employees who are going to be working with the public? A lot of places have online questionares before hiring to assess certain things. But this is McDonalds I guess.

And it is disturbing no one did anything in anyway to stop her. I hope someone at least called the police right away.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:42 PM

3,761 posts, read 5,464,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
Anybody else see this story?

In NJ a 28 year old mother and her 2 year old son went to Mcdonalds and she got him a kids meal. Before leaving she realized she never got a toy and asked the manager for one. Apparently the manager then scolded the employee (Latia Harris, 25) for incorrectly doing her job. The employee then ran outside and jumped the mother while her son was right next to her. A bunch of others stood around doing nothing but screaming "oh hhh!" And filming to on their phones. The two year old tries helping his mom by screaming at the other woman then kicking her to go away when his mom was on the ground and the woman was kicking her head.

This has to be the most heartbreaking thing. How is it nobody helped? A two year old has more guts and morality than anyone else there.

Salem Police seek woman in brutal beating
NJ woman beaten in front of her 2-year-old as bystanders record the attack | PIX 11
Caught on Video: Woman Beats Mother in Front of 2-Year-Old Son - The Root
McDonald's Worker Who Beat Victim In Front Of Her Toddler Is Also A Mother Of Small Children | The Smoking Gun
Where is the part about a toy?

Old 05-08-2015, 10:45 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,856,921 times
For some reason this board got all jumbled out of order but I looked for some updates:

Pleads guilty, faces 5 to 10 years.

N.J. woman caught on camera pummeling mom behind McDonald's in Salem pleads guilty | NJ.com

Old 05-08-2015, 11:26 AM

22,549 posts, read 29,844,149 times
Are we really surprised here??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events