Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:44 AM

552 posts, read 1,057,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolea View Post
Looking for peoples thoughts and opinions of the area as well.
Interestingly, just stumbled on this:

* and http://info.healthways.com/wbi2013

Rust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 14,655 times
I'm from NE Wyoming, almost at the SD border by the Black Hills, and we are considering moving to either Louisiana or Corpus Christi. These threads are very helpful!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,969,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Interestingly, just stumbled on this:

* and http://info.healthways.com/wbi2013

Rust
This refers to the entire state of Texas. And the Gulf Coast of Texas is not like the rest of Texas.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
This refers to the entire state of Texas. And the Gulf Coast of Texas is not like the rest of Texas.
I like facts, evidence, information, and particulars with citations. See citations: Citations have several important purposes: to uphold intellectual honesty (or avoiding plagiarism),[1] to attribute prior or unoriginal work and ideas to the correct sources, to allow the reader to determine independently whether the referenced material supports the author's argument in the claimed way, and to help the reader gauge the strength and validity of the material the author has used.[2]

After receiving the appended letter I searched the Caller-Times and local tv stations to see if CCians were informed . . . Not! Note the date, last November:

Dale Kemery (News media only)
kemery.dale@epa.gov
202-564-7839
202-564-4355

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 14, 2013

Chemical Company Failed to Disclose Public Health Risks, Judge Rules in Favor of EPA

WASHINGTON – In an administrative decision issued earlier this week,Elementis Chromium, Inc., one of the largest manufacturers of chromium chemicals in the world, was ordered to pay a penalty of $2,571,800 for failing to disclose information about substantial risk of injury to human health from exposure to hexavalent chromium, a known carcinogen, on workers in modern chemical production plants, as required by the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).

“Our job is to protect all Americans from exposure to harmful chemicals at home, at work and in their daily lives,” said Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. “This decision supports our commitment to public health and reinforces the importance of companies providing key information about the risks their chemicals pose.”

TSCA requires chemical manufacturers, processors, or distributors that obtain information demonstrating that a substance or mixture presents a substantial risk of injury to human health or the environment immediately inform the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This information allows EPA to understand and limit, when necessary, potential hazards associated with the manufacturing, use, and disposal of chemical substances.

In September 2010, EPA filed a complaint against Elementis with the Office of Administrative Law Judges, alleging TSCA violations for failing to report the results of an industry-commissioned study that documented significant occupational impacts to workers in modern chemical plants. According to EPA, the study filled a gap in scientific literature regarding the relationship between hexavalent chromium exposure and respiratory cancer in modern chromium production facilities. Chief Administrative Law Judge Susan Biro held an administrative hearing in December 2011, where both sides presented expert witnesses and additional evidence. On November 12, 2013, Judge Biro issued a decision and assessed a penalty, concluding that Elementis had violated TSCA.

This decision will become a final order 45 days following issuance unless the company chooses to appeal the decision to EPA’s Environmental Appeals Board.

Elementis, which is based in East Windsor, N.J., is a global specialty chemical company with operations worldwide. Elementis has been manufacturing and distributing chromium-based chemical substances and mixtures for more than 35 years and has two main manufacturing plants in Castle Hayne, N.C., and Corpus Christi, Texas.

You can unsubscribe or update your subscriptions or e-mail address at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Page. All you will need is your e-mail address. If you have any questions or problems, please e-mailsupport@govdelivery.com for assistance.

This service is provided to you at no charge by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

The Texas Gulf Coast is different alright:

Texas is Number 1

Heavy Metal | The Texas Observer

The Texas Plant That Polluted for Years, and a Whistleblower That Helped Expose It | StateImpact Texas

Texas Waterways are Nation

Water Quality - Chapter 2 - Page 6

Corpus Christi: Hillcrest Residents Exposed to Benzene In Neighborhood Next Door to Refinery Row
Collaborative on Health and the Environment :: Corpus Christi: Hillcrest Residents Exposed to Benzene In Neighborhood Next Door to Refinery Row

United States Environmental Protection Agency
The Donna Reservoir and Canal Superfund Site (hereinafter “the Site”) is ... (Looking North Towards Donna, Texas, From Highway 281 Bridge, 08/05/11) .... hazardous substances, pollutants, or contaminants throughout the United States.
2. NPL Site Narrative for Donna Reservoir and Canal System - US ...
epa.gov › superfund › sites › npl‎

o
o
o
United States Environmental Protection Agency
Donna Reservoir and Canal System, Donna, Texas ... City of Donna has a drinking water intake located within the area of observed sediment contamination.
3. Anglers flock to contaminated Texas reservoir | NOLA.com
nola.com › Louisiana Fishing › Breaking News‎

o
o
o
The Times Picayune
Mar 3, 2012 - "It's a great little lake," says Joe Garcia, 43, among those fishing here one ... Donna reservoir is surrounded by fields of swaying sugarcane and ...
You've visited this page 2 times. Last visit: 1/13/14

Note, I didn't join City-Data until the second week of Feb 2014!

After reading about Elementis Chromium, Inc. last November and finding no notice or reports by the paper, and television stations . . .THAT is what prompted me to look at City-Data.

Consequential decisions can be triggered by inconsequential causes.

Like anyone who returns after years of absence to their hometown, you can't help but notice the changes. Some are good, some are bad, and some indifferent. Most are inevitable. Some, who return year after year to visit family and friends, are hardly aware of the changes. Some changes and developments inspire disgust in those who long for an exact repeat of their old experiences, while delighting those who loved the place before but missed the broader experiences and culture life has to offer. We are left to ourselves to judge whether they are good or bad or inconsequential.

A hidden cost in CC is the fact you need cooling or heating year around. Maybe a more revealing question might be "What is your average electric bill and home square footage?" I often frame questions to reveal measurements. One measurement is worth a thousand guesses, then again, what the hell . . .that's me and I like it a cool, 72 degrees.

Fishing in Corpus is not like some have reported. Wade fishing depends on the wind and CC is windy. Most informed sport fishermen fish early in the morning or the late afternoon in spring and summer.
It's too hot to feed fish and fish don't wear sunglasses. Trout have sensitive eyes. After a good rain you could sometimes see my old converted beach/LandCruiser Troop Carrier parked at Ocean Dr & Doddridge St. but only after a rain or past 8:30AM.

My best friend in Corpus/Port Aransas was Felix G. Cox. See Texas Parks and Wildlife’s “A Sad Harvest,” and the South Texas Public Broadcasting System's, “Wonders Under the Sea.” Felix was a recipient of “National Fisherman” magazine’s 1998 Highliner Award in recognition of contributions to the fishing industry.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen‏

Well maybe not so healthy anymore.

https://www.google.com/#q=corpus+chr...iforms+samples

Check out Red snapper at the Flower Garden and:

Harmful Algal Blooms Index

Still with me here? Come on now and help a guy.

Now, how is the the Texas Gulf Coast different . . .exactly?

Rust

Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 PM

[quote=Rust Neve

Fishing in Corpus is not like some have reported. Wade fishing depends on the wind and CC is windy. Most informed sport fishermen fish early in the morning or the late afternoon in spring and summer.
It's too hot to feed fish and fish don't wear sunglasses. Trout have sensitive eyes. After a good rain you could sometimes see my old converted beach/LandCruiser Troop Carrier parked at Ocean Dr & Doddridge St. but only after a rain or past 8:30AM.

[COLOR="Red"]Correction: That ought to read " never past 8:30AM."[/color]

Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 PM

While living in Austin, there tends to be a more active lifestyle with co-workers biking to work, spending free time outdoors, vegetable gardening is common, and there are plenty of healthy food shopping choices.

Corpus Christi all but discourages biking. And I just wouldn't even do it here due to the lack of traffic control in CC. I've seen enough to know that plenty of drivers are under the influence, illegals who have never taken a driving course and may not be able to read the road signs in English, and other assorted road issues. The buses here have the bike racks on them but I have never seen one used.

Just casually observe those around you. Are they appropriate weight for height? What do your co-workers eat for lunch? What do children have in their lunch bags? Does anyone talk about active weekends?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:28 AM

286 posts, read 570,252 times
I agree that Austin has a larger percentage of fit people, but it isn't like nobody in Corpus does anything. I have yet to drive by Cole Park in the daytime and not see one of the churches of Crossfit out there doing their thing. The gym I go to (Freedom) is typically crowded, but not so much workouts take 2 hours.

Go kayaking for a couple hours. Or surfing. Or kiteboarding. I've never seen any fat people kiteboarding.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:04 AM

OK, the OP original question... where to live

My next suggestion is to look at the local news each day to see what is going on around town. Home - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 AM

286 posts, read 570,252 times
Agree. Before I moved, I read the caller online, but now they have a paywall so you can't read any of the articles so it is less helpful.
There are also some facebook/twitter feeds that talk about Corpus Christi.

I always recommend renting initially anytime you move to a city you're not familiar with, so you can get a feel for the area. Each neighborhood has its own personality, and that's hard to judge during a short visit. Southside, Flour Bluff, the Island, Portland, all of these have places that are good and bad.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 PM

16 posts, read 28,208 times
My family is from Corpus and we've been living in Arkansas most of my life. I'm planning on moving on my own to Corpus. My dad warned me that there are some places to avoid living in CC, but couldn't recall where because it's been almost 30 years. I'm SWF and might get a place on my own or with a roommate. Are there some dangerous areas I should avoid looking in to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi