Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:00 PM

132 posts, read 590,678 times

Advertisements

Not much talk about Monterey on here. It's a beautiful area between Cookeville and Crossvile on top of the Plateau. Here are a couple of pics of our place.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 08:36 AM

421 posts, read 1,690,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubtin View Post
Not much talk about Monterey on here. It's a beautiful area between Cookeville and Crossvile on top of the Plateau. Here are a couple of pics of our place.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Great pics Jhubtin, in what area do you live on the mountain?

Happyappy,welcome to the Cumberland Plateau! I'm sure you will love it!

firepower

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 AM

132 posts, read 590,678 times
We are just outside of town off of Hanging Limb Hwy.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
What a beautiful lot and home,I'm heading that way ASAP.Florida has gotten over crowed and real estate is way down.I ready for a change,thanks for sharing those gorgeous photo's.....

Old 03-14-2007, 11:12 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubtin View Post
We are just outside of town off of Hanging Limb Hwy.
What a beautiful area! I drive up the Hanging Limb Hwy all the time when I go to Muddy Pond. How fortunate that you live so close to that beautiful community.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,605 times
Default Shopping

I had forgotten how intense, tedious, and laborious packing for a major move while trying to make a living is. For those who might be under the impression that being self-employed means naming one’s own working hours, it ain’t true—not often anyway.

TNBound,

You wrote: “. . . He will follow me from store to store... and it doesn't bother him if it's a Victorias Secret or any other store.”

Well now, shopping at Victoria’s Secret is a whole different deal. My wife won’t let me go with her any more because I cause her to spend way over budget. And no amount of commentary from me has been able to convince her that it is not possible for her to have too many articles of clothing from such a fine couturier.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Wow!

Jhubtin,

You wrote: “. . . Here are a couple of pics of our place.”

What a magnificent setting! And the colors! Sometimes only one word can best describe . . . WOW!

We’ve heard about the beauty of the area from quite a few people and have seen many pictures but none with the vibrant colors of your photos.

In Washington State there is a well-known drive on Highway 20 along which people can view some truly spectacular colors in the Fall, but I’ve read and heard many comments that it doesn’t compare to the colors of the deciduous trees in the East (not quite sure what area that includes) at that time of year.

Someone learned once told me that it’s the temperature variations between daily high and low temperature that create the colors and that wider variations cause the colors to be more brilliant. Washington has milder temperatures in the Fall so possibly his theory could apply. His explanation did not include more details, unfortunately.

In any case, we can’t wait to see the Fall display in person!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Cumberland Plateau

firepower,

You wrote: “Happyappy,welcome to the Cumberland Plateau! I'm sure you will love it!”

I have a great fondness for it and haven’t even been there yet!

Thus far our experiences with phone, power, and satellite issues have gone so smoothly it makes us wonder what’s going on in the West regarding customer service. Having lived most of my adult life in the Northwest, I’ve witnessed deterioration over the years in attitudes. While the Seattle area has been spoken of as the “politest place anywhere” and joked about (Seattle is the only place you’ll see people standing on a street corner with virtually no traffic in the pouring rain waiting for the “WALK” sign to light up), it has changed fairly dramatically over the last ten or so years. I believe it’s the fact that people are practically living on top of one another and the gridlock is so bad EVERYWHERE in the metropolitan area that most everyone is in a bad mood when they get to work.

If ever a place needed light rail, it’s Seattle . . . and anywhere else for that matter in which the terrain is so hilly, steeply in many places, such that road-building space is limited and such endeavors are incredibly expensive.

It’s been said frequently that the West gets the good ideas from the East and eventually gets caught up. Maybe that light rail thing will catch on someday.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:32 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,850 times
Now, my hubby will definetly follow me into Victorias Secret, and he's bought me outfits that do tend to make him very happy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
I had forgotten how intense, tedious, and laborious packing for a major move while trying to make a living is. For those who might be under the impression that being self-employed means naming one’s own working hours, it ain’t true—not often anyway.

TNBound,

You wrote: “. . . He will follow me from store to store... and it doesn't bother him if it's a Victorias Secret or any other store.”

Well now, shopping at Victoria’s Secret is a whole different deal. My wife won’t let me go with her any more because I cause her to spend way over budget. And no amount of commentary from me has been able to convince her that it is not possible for her to have too many articles of clothing from such a fine couturier.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,938 times
It's GREAT to see so many nice comments about Monterey! My hubby and I are planning on checking out the area in November (after he gets laid off). We're looking for 15+ acres. I've looked at beautiful properties from LaFayette to Pikeville to Byrdstown to Oneida to Johnson City. I've seen some really nice properties west of Nashville also, but I'd much rather stay away from the humidity of the lowlands, as well as far as I get from Memphis, the better. I've heard enough about the crime there to sour me from the extremely CHEAP land I see. We're in SW PA, my hubby works heavy equipment operator, gets laid off in November, and we want to get where the weather is milder, he can work longer thru the year. We just need to find out what the average wages are. I checked on the www.Indeed.com site for jobs, but weren't encouraged by the low $12/hour wages we saw. Not compared to the $21+ he gets here. As for myself, as long as there's a doctor's office or hospital in the area, I can work (medical billing).

God bless, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville