Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:49 PM

103 posts, read 205,906 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a VCR...possibly a VCR/DVD combination.

I'm looking for a VCR, with a tuner...just a VCR like the ones sold a decade or more ago. I'm looking for something I can simply hook up. I want to avoid cable boxes, etc.

It would be great if there is a DVD player with the unit. Otherwise, we'll simply unhook/hook up whichever unit we want to use.

It boils down to this. I see DVD players on sale for $40 or less. The old VCR's with a tuner, could be bought for less than $50. Why can't one buy a VCR with tuner/DVD player for $100?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:11 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,264,830 times
I don't know anything about them, but they do make a VCR/DVD combo. You can find some of them for sale on Amazon.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,643,969 times
Wow I have not used a VCR in ages. You should get a DVR or Tivo it records 10x better
I only have to look up let say a Series click record and everytime that show is on I have it recorded without having to do all that programming that is asociated with a vcr.
The future is great.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:28 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,502,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Wow I have not used a VCR in ages. You should get a DVR or Tivo it records 10x better
I only have to look up let say a Series click record and everytime that show is on I have it recorded without having to do all that programming that is asociated with a vcr.
The future is great.
I have two Tivos, one in my daughters room and one in the living room and they are the best thing since sliced bread.

AND they have a USB port so you can burn the programs on them to DVD if you need to or I suppose to Video CD if you want to. In the end you will come out with a much better picture then using a VCR.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,455,113 times
Having not had a Tivo or DVR can you tell me if there is a fee involved or if you must subscribe to any service. I understnad some Tivo require a phone line. Seems strange to me.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Having not had a Tivo or DVR can you tell me if there is a fee involved or if you must subscribe to any service. I understnad some Tivo require a phone line. Seems strange to me.
There is a fee associated with having a Tivo. They have to be connected to a phone line to download updates to the software. I don't leave mine hooked up because there is no phone line in the wall where they are. I run a cord to them and prompt them to dial into Tivo and get their updates.

Its like having your own personal butler whose ONLY JOB it is to make sure you see all your favorite TV shows. They can record two channels at the same time while you watch a third program that is saved. You can fastforward through commercials or boring parts of your show. AND as I said you can hook up a computer via the USB port.

Do you have cable?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 AM

3,027 posts, read 11,613,274 times
I have a combo VCR/DVD Recorder and another stand alone DVD recorder. Both have tuners in them. Most DVD players do not have tuners, however. Neither of the units I have was terribly expensive, and I've had them a while. I think now you should be able to find either type of unit for under $100.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
There is a fee associated with having a Tivo. They have to be connected to a phone line to download updates to the software. I don't leave mine hooked up because there is no phone line in the wall where they are. I run a cord to them and prompt them to dial into Tivo and get their updates.

Its like having your own personal butler whose ONLY JOB it is to make sure you see all your favorite TV shows. They can record two channels at the same time while you watch a third program that is saved. You can fastforward through commercials or boring parts of your show. AND as I said you can hook up a computer via the USB port.

Do you have cable?
I don't even have a TV.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
I don't even have a TV.
SO....you would be in a thread like this because???

Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 PM

I like electronics and enjoy understanding Technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics