Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 AM

22 posts, read 90,431 times

Advertisements

Our family is planning to move to CT and need to know which towns offer good services for young adults with special needs. Our daughter lives with us and likes to go to the gym, but needs an aide provided by the park district. In a few years she will need to move into a group home as we're getting old. How are the services in CT? Any comments will be helpful. If you know, would Mass. or RI be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
I would contact the state of Connecticut Department of public health/Public health initiatives

see DPH Search

Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
I believe most, if not all, services are provided by the STATE and not by individual towns. There may be some regional programs, but DMR (link below) would be able to steer you to local orgs.

Other places to contact would be Connecticut Department of Mental Retardation (you don't say what your daughter's disability is, and don't be misled by the title here, they take other folks with disabilities also)

There are HUGE waiting lists for folks looking to get into group homes in CT, and funds have been recently cut. I have heard of people getting into programs for jobs, with funds available for job coaches etc, but not for recreation, like going to the gym. My step-moms sister has Down's syndrome, and lived there until 2 yrs ago, and she NEVER had help for anything other than for going to her job at the grocery store, everything else had to be done by the family.

There is a program, usually funded by (contracted out to the non-profit org called Directions) DMR that provides vocational evaluations and job coaching, and occasionally there was assistance provided for rec things like movies, but I believe the rec. funding was private, from the family and not paid for by the state. ( I worked for the program 9 yrs ago, things may have changed since)

I don't have high hopes of you finding what you request in CT, if you have options I would def check into MA and RI as well. I believe I remember a RI family talking of good services for their adult daughter. (also years ago though)

Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,602 times
There are many group homes, but I'm not sure how the selection process works. But there are many different CT area "Associations for Retarded Citizens" that are funded through the United Way and the state. Just do a google search and they will come up.
I'll bet that our services are better than average when compared to many states. There are many special jobs programs and CT is also home to the Special Olympics.

Here's one well established program in my area. Please ask them for information, they are here to help!

Click on this link:
CCArc has been making dreams happen for people with mental retardation and other disabilities for nearly half a century

Good luck.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 PM

22 posts, read 90,431 times
Sun:
We lived in southern CT and moved when our daughter was 10 yrs old. Since she was so young I knew nothing of the residential services, work support, recreation, etc. I did know one young man who only got recreation when his family arranged it with other families.

What part of the state do you live in?

I've heard good states are: MA, NY, MN, CO, CA, TX, AZ, NM, AK, HI
Avg states: CT, IN, IA, MI, NH, VT
Bad state services: IL, FL, NJ, VA, NC, SC, GA, MS, AR, KY, LA, OK, PA

No info on ND, SD, MT, WY, ID, UT, WA, OR, DE, ME, OH, IA, MO, NV, KS

What h have you heard?

Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,602 times
I live in central CT in the city of New Britain. It's located about 10 miles southwest of Hartford & is home to Central CT State University. Neighboring towns are Farmington, West Hartford, Newington, Berlin and Southington.
CT spends many, many millions of dollars on group homes. They closed down just about all of the state insititutions and made the transition to group homes for as many people as possible starting decades ago. I know that there are services here for people with many different disabilities, including special job sites. One large one that we have here is named the Constructive Workshop where the work is subcontracted to them from a variety of businesses.
And some CCARC clients recently marched in our Memorial Day Parade.
Of course there isn't enough room for everyone who requests a group home placement, despite the huge sums of money spent. That's why I would recommend contacting the agency that I listed, or a related state agency, to determine how the selection process works. I would imagine that people with special circumstances receive priority, just like with many other programs. If a person doesn't have an immediate need or isn't at risk, like being homeless, than maybe they go on a waiting list for a group home placement. But there are other programs in the meantime to help clients with special needs to develop living skills, socialize and recreate. Of course, every case is unique, and every area has different facilities and programs.
Why not contact the agency I mentioned and ask for information about your particular circumstances? They are experts in their field and should be able to provide you with leads and answers.
The most recent problem that I recall in the last year involved raises for workers who were threatening to strike, and at least some of the money for the raises ended up being allocated, but maybe at the expense of other programs. So, not as many new homes and slots open up as their are clients, but as with any program, there must be someone that can help you learn exactly what's available here, or which agency to refer you to in another part of the state.
I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Last edited by sun; 06-14-2007 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut