Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 PM

691 posts, read 1,151,246 times

Advertisements

Hello..

My girlfriend is moving out of her current apartment in Ellington. While helping her do so, we went to her storage unit (which is seperate from her actual apartment) to retrieve boxes. We wound up with orange mold all over our gloves, scarves and coats while in the storage unit (of course, while both wearing our favorite coats, both of which were pricey).

There is NO ventilation in the storage facility whatsoever. Upon speaking to her landlord, my girlfriend learned that there were humidifiers, but they had been stolen and never replaced. This seems like gross negligence on the part of her landlord; does it not?

We wound up taking our coats to the dry-cleaners to have the mold removed ($85 in total, since my coat is leather). Her landlord refuses to compensate us. While I realize this is a relatively minor amount, isn't the landlord responsible for ensuring that their tenants property doesn't become filled with mold?

Any advice on what to do here? Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM

418 posts, read 1,411,717 times
Read the lease and see what it says about personal property. Generally, damage to your own property within the unit is covered by your own rental insurance, not your landlord's. If there were a flood or fire, for example, the landlord's insurance would cover the structure and your insurance could cover your belongings. If there were mold in the unit's living space, again, the landlord would only be responsible for the structure, not the contents. This situation seems somewhat equivalent.
Maybe someone else can chime in on the negligence aspect.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:17 PM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Interesting situation. While a landlord is not responsible for the tenants personal property, a landlord is responsible for keeping the premises safe and free of any health issues. (ie: radon, Carbon Monoxide, mold, ect.)

Think of a storage locker. You pay them to protect your belongings. You weren't paying your landlord to store your stuff so it's your own risk. But then again....Landlord owns the storage closet (or does he?) ..

As a landlord...I first would ask you "did you not realize the humidity dangers of leaving an expensive coat in there?" Next I would make sure the apartment is damage free and spotless. If there is no problems I would pay for half the cost just cause I'm nice.

good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: