Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 35,157 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I will be moving to Newtown in late November--I will need to commute to New York City three days per week. The realtors have variously told us that Metro North stations at Redding, Bridgeport, Danbury, Brewster and Golden's Bridge are my best bets, so it's apparently not such a straightforward proposition.

I don't mind driving to the train for 30 to 45 minutes, if necessary, as long as there's parking, and if permits are required, they must be available to buy now, not in three years.

Finally, the commute to and from the city should be direct, with no trouble finding seating so I may work on my laptop. Does anyone have that elusive answer? Thanking you in advance for your informed thoughts. Jack
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
The problem is that Newtown s pretty far from New York and there are many options for you to get there. I think you have twow options, head west on I-84 into New York to catch the train or head south to the coast. I believe that most people in that area drive to Southeast station and park there. If you do drive south, Bridgeport would probably be your best bet. There are a number of parking garages there and many trians to choose from. Jay

Old 09-26-2009, 04:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,998 times
I think from Newtown your best option will be to drive to Southeast or Brewster. Brewster always seems to have parking, however I honestly don't know about the pass status. I've parked there when I go in for the day, and just pay the meter. It will be about an hour on the train if you get the express to Grand Central and then of course if depends on where you need to go from there how much time that will add. I'm thinking this is going to be 90 mins to 2 hours one way.

Oh and you will definitely get a seat in the morning as Southeast is the "end of the line" so even if you're on at Brewster, there should be room,

Last edited by arielmina; 09-26-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,926 times
I live in Brewster and don't know about passes. It seems like lots of people are picked up/dropped off from that station. Parking seems to be limited. If you wanted to stay on 84 for another exit, the Southeast stop might be a better bet. There is a large lot with metered parking. That station is also closer to the highway exit- with Brewster you have to drive through the village and deal with traffic lights, so going to SE likely does not take significantly longer even though it's a further exit.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 35,157 times
Southeast seems to be the winner (although it's a 45 minute drive from the new house according to MapQuest--which is a bit of a bummer--I was rooting for a lesser drive before the lengthy train shlep that follows). Thank you all for this information. Jack

Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 PM

273 posts, read 957,093 times
It also depends on where in Newtown you start. Our house, north of 84, was consistently 4 minutes to 84 at exit 9. Southern Newtown can be a lot longer.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 AM

184 posts, read 842,396 times
I live in Brookfield close to Exit 9 and I always drive a bit further south from Southeast to Golden's Bridge. Never a problem finding a parking spot in the North Lot, though sometimes metered spots are gone and you take a chance on getting a ticket. If you get a parking ticket, it's only $12 (which is less than it costs to park all day in Stamford, as I recall).

Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
It is really long and rough but if you're really going to only do it 3 days/week, it may be OK.

Ironically, I'm kind of considering the same thing in reverse for now; I may soon have something temporary where I'd have to drive from southern Westchester to New Haven (NOT during rush hours), but only 2-3 days/week. It may be worth it to me as it may go perm in a year and then I'd relocate; I wouldn't do it if it were 5 days/week, but when I went to the interview (which was during a time of no traffic) it took me just about an hour (to my surprise).

Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 12,755 times
I go to the southeast train station (brewster) and hit the train to grand central. Every day, from the waterbury area. It's a through train and takes 1hr : 10mins or so. If you have a laptop it's actually really nice. Beating the traffic? You can't top it.

Also my commute to southeast is about 30-35 minutes depending on I84 traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut