Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,313 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm looking for some help.
I have lived off campus near I-84 from UCONN for several months.
I am a graduate student and haven't found much of a social niche being an "outsider" to the area.

It was suggested to me that I consider joining an outdoor sports league.
I'd be interested in softball/football/sking.
I wanted to know if there are any reputable leagues that would have young adults (mid 20's) as their target market and be within a 30 mile drive.

I don't want to join a league where it's 40 year olds who have known each other since High School, something where young adults my age would be and open to new people.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:08 PM

95 posts, read 320,598 times
Why not join some of the UCONN leagues. Of course you may have to pay for a membership but they have all types of sports available.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:12 PM

181 posts, read 557,711 times
I know there is an active semi-pro football league in New England, with three or four teams in Connecticut. There is bound to be one near Manchester somewhere, however I do know that their season is well underway and it wouldn't be until the late spring that you would be able to get involved in that.

New England Football League

Also check out Eastern Connecticut Major League

Connecticut Adult Baseball Association (http://www.eteamz.com/cab/ - broken link)

Old 08-18-2009, 12:22 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin1786 View Post
Why not join some of the UCONN leagues. Of course you may have to pay for a membership but they have all types of sports available.

Most of the intramural leagues are for uconn undergrads (which is messed up to say the least) But everyone can go to the gym to workout, swim, and play basketball

Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,156 times
UCONN Leagues, as mentioned, are for undergraduates.
Probably there would be too big a gap for a mature person halfway done with their 20s playing with all freshman.
I checked out the links provided by GrotonMan, that is way too competitive for most adults.

The OP is in a similar scenario as me, a new resident to North Central-North East CT looking to get involved.
I already joined Cardio Express but haven't meet anybody there.
Very, very depressing Tolland is.

There has got to be some league in Vernon/Manchester/Greater Hartford for football/softball casual games that targets young adults.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 AM

95 posts, read 320,598 times
You guys sure?? When I played in the basketball intermurals there there were Grad students playing in the same league as me.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 AM

468 posts, read 524,300 times
There is a fairly active, largely graduate student summer softball league. Unfortunately, the season is over for this year. There are a variety of club sports, though, and I think they are geared towards undergrads, grads and even faculty. Check out this link:
Club Sports - Department of Student Activities - Division of Student Affairs - University of Connecticut

Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM

639 posts, read 2,712,091 times
Willimantic has plenty of City softball leagues and also has a baseball team that I believe plays in the Greater Hartford league. Home games are at Rec Park in Willimantic.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:42 PM

331 posts, read 640,133 times
I would check something like meetup.com to see what's around. Or maybe Craigslist (watch out for nuts!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut