Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM

34 posts, read 131,129 times

Advertisements

Can someone please recommend a nice hotel near Torrington? I checked Tripadvisor and only saw three hotels/ motels with all crappy reviews. I would prefer something nicer but don't want to travel 40 minutes from our family either.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Torrington is a small city surrounded by a lot of rural areas, so there is very limited hotel options. There are a couple of motels (or modest hotels) in the town but that it is. Downtown is the Yankee Pedler Inn which is an old hotel with some charm to it. I am not sure how well kept it has been in recent years though. Another option to consider is looking for Bed & Breakfasts in the area. There are many all over Litchfield County. If price is not an issue, check out the beautiful Mayflower Inn in Washington. It is not too far from Torrington. Jay

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I lived in Torrington for a year a few years back....and I cannot think of a single place i'd reccomend. So good luck!!
Though if you dont mind a 15min drive or longer so you could check out Avon, CT or Simsbury (further) both have nice Inn's. The area is nicer and so are the places to stay.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM

109 posts, read 437,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJamboy View Post
Can someone please recommend a nice hotel near Torrington? I checked Tripadvisor and only saw three hotels/ motels with all crappy reviews. I would prefer something nicer but don't want to travel 40 minutes from our family either.

Thanks.
Chapin Park Bed and Breakfast on the green in New Hartford is highly recommended. It is approximately 10-15 minutes to Torrington. Mary Ann Gunning, the inn keeper, is the nicest woman and the house is absolutely lovely. She is child-friendly too.

Chapin Park Bed & Breakfast - Connecticut (CT)

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/conne...t-reviews.html

Last edited by UnschoolerinCT; 06-22-2009 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Add a link to reviews

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM

34 posts, read 131,129 times
Default Unfortunately we have a 4 month Old

I appreciate all the recommendations on the B&Bs. We love B&Bs, but with a 4 month old, they are not an option. We want a nice hotel, not a motel. Are there any nice towns / hotels within half hour drive?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:10 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,138 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the recommendations on the B&Bs. We love B&Bs, but with a 4 month old, they are not an option. Are there any nice towns / hotels within half hour drive?
Hi, Im a local resident of NW CT @ 15 min from T-town.. You have a lodging option in the town of Cornwall Bridge (Jct Rte7 & Rte 4) its a clean roadside motorcourt reminicent of the mom&pop places that sprung up in the 70's throughout New England. Its the "Hitching Post Country Motel" ph 860-672-6219. From the motel you take rte4 east right to Torrington center.
You probably read reviews for the "Stupid 8" city center of Torrington already LOL--its basic and it'll be busy. The "Fife N' Drum Inn" in Kent Ct. is also an option. It does put you a solid 1/2 hour away from Torrington but its a nice place and restaurants/amenities for the traveler and tourist abound in Kent. ph# 860-927-3509. Other close options would be the "Hopkins Inn" or the "Boulders Inn", both in New Preston Village close to Rte 202 which brings you to Torrington center. The aforementioned "Mayflower" be forewarned will cost you up to a grand per night. I cant speak for you, but it may not be what your looking for.
*******You specified a HOTEL-not a motel.. the 2009 NW corner phone book list NOTHING specific to a Hotel.********* I hope this helps.
If all else fails, heres the cheapo/ chains available in T-town Lakeside Motel 482-2515...Days Inn 496-8808 Super 8 496-0811 Clarion 589-7766.. All are area code (860)

Old 06-23-2009, 04:21 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the recommendations on the B&Bs. We love B&Bs, but with a 4 month old, they are not an option. We want a nice hotel, not a motel. Are there any nice towns / hotels within half hour drive?
You're going to have to go with Waterbury or Hartford if you want a "real" hotel.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:26 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,898 times
Waterbury is a bigger CT city with a whole lot of hotel options. It is exits 30-36 on Route 8. Torrington is exits 43-46. You can try:

Courtyard by Marriott, which is in Downtown Waterbury, is probably Waterbury's best hotel. Its a 8 story building and you may even be able to see it when you reach Downtown Waterbury. To get there, you have to get off Exit 31 (I-84 East toward Hartford) and right off of exit 22 on that highway. You would turn left and you should see the hotel on your left (across the street from a church).

Holiday Inn Express, also in Downtown Waterbury, was recently remodeled. Its a 6 story hotel across not far from the Courtyard. To get there, you would take the same directions as you would to get to the courtyard, except instead of taking your final left, you would take a right, pass a gulf station, pass a large 17 story apartment building, and the Holiday Inn should be on the left.

Hampton Inn, is in a suburban section of Waterbury west of downtown. To get there, you would need to take I-84 West toward Danbury (Exit 33) and get off on Exit 17. Take a right at the stop sign and the Hotel should be on the right.

Holiday Inn (regular), would be the furthest from Route 8. It was also recently remodeled to add an attached indoor waterpark, which I believe is the only one of its kind in New England. I haven't seen it yet but it suppose to be nice. To get to this hotel, you would need to get on I-84 (Exit 31 toward Hartford) and get off at Exit 25A (Austin Rd). At the light, you would take a left until the end of the road, where you would take a right. Travel East Main St until your next light. The Holiday Inn is in a plaza with a Costco Wholesaler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You're going to have to go with Waterbury or Hartford if you want a "real" hotel.

You could try Hartford, but its Exit 43 on 84 west. Hartford is the state capital, so it would have alot more to do. But to be honest, I think it would be way out of your way.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM

184 posts, read 801,860 times
Default Residence Inn- Avon, CT

This Residence Inn, Avon is about 20 to 30 minutes from the center of Torrington. The hotel is nice, about two years ols with an outdoor pool. My brother and his family have stayed there a few times when visting, they have two kids and set the set up at the Residence Inn is great for a family because the space is confugured as a living room (with pull out couch) seperate bedroom and a kitchen area...I think they have a free breakfast too.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 PM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times
Connecticut Luxury Hotels | Classic Hotels | Farmington River Valley CT
Four very nice hotels in the Farmington Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut