Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 12:42 AM

14 posts, read 59,996 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to CT this summer after being in Europe (netherlands) for the past 8 years. Our son has a pretty bad language delay and I am looking for some input on the special education system in Greenwich and/or Westport. Good or bad experiences. Also are there any private preschools around that you could recommend? (our son is 3, will be 4 in november).
thanks in advance!

Charlot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 01:01 AM

93 posts, read 394,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryvermeer View Post
We are looking to move to CT this summer after being in Europe (netherlands) for the past 8 years. Our son has a pretty bad language delay and I am looking for some input on the special education system in Greenwich and/or Westport. Good or bad experiences. Also are there any private preschools around that you could recommend? (our son is 3, will be 4 in november).
thanks in advance!

Charlot
Hi Charlot.

In one of the threads below, a poster said (this is based on hearsay) that the Greenwich schools have a poor special education program. The town is ultra-conservative and home to the very wealthy, and competition here is very important (same with Darien and New Canaan). Home prices are extremely high.

I would recommend Westport as they have an excellent school system, as well as Easton/Redding (Region 9) or Woodbridge/Bethany/Orange (Amity Region 5). I know that Amity has a great school district.

If you're looking for a more small-town feel, Southbury is charming. It's a little further if you're commuting to NYC, but the school district (Region 15 with Middlebury) is among the best in the state. I know for a fact that their special education department is run very well.

Good luck with your move to the USA. Welcome

Old 03-01-2007, 01:55 PM

Does anybody else have any information ion the special needs education in these towns?

Thanks
Charlot

Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM

37 posts, read 126,507 times
Hi Charlot, Are you Dutch?
You lived for 8 years in the Netherlands?
I am looking also at this website for information on Connecticut, but we are moving from Cincinnati Ohio, to Hartford area this summer. We lived 9 years in Cincinnati, but we are from the Netherlands.
I know it is hard to find the right school for your kids. That is what I am now doing as well in the Hartford area, but be aware in The US (maybe you know this already) you first need to find the right school for your child (ren) then a house. The area where you live needs to be in the right school district. For example here in Cincinnati where we lived we had 3 different school districts in one street.
Marion

Old 03-03-2007, 01:51 AM

Hi Marion, yes I am Dutch, my husband is American. It indeed is hard to find the right schooling/housing. We are looking at the Greenwich area mainly because the international school of Dundee is there and ideally I would like to send our son to a international school.
Any other tips and tricks you can give me?
groeten,
charlot

Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 AM

37 posts, read 126,507 times
Hi Charlot,
I will send you a personal message , with my email address , so we can email.
International schools are great , but on the other hand I don't know how long you want to stay in the US . I prefer the kids go to a regular school , also I don't like Private schools here in the US , it is al lot of times focused on religion , kids go with same kind of kids to school , church etc.
Public schools is more diversity , realistic life especially when they go of to college.
Our son did at a Public school a International baccalaureate Program , to have the option open when we would move back to the Netherlands to go to a University in Europe.Sometimes the standards from the US high schools are not high enough to get into a University in Europe , they have to be tested etc . With the IB diploma , the Universities will know what their level is, it is recognized trough the whole world. This was given at a regular Public school , although not many schools offer this in the US. Our son was 9 when we came to the US. He is now in College and the IB program paid of because he has a full sholarship what is great because college here is extremely expensive.
Our daughter was 3 (same as your son) when we came to the uS , she also started out with pre-school , we had a montesorri program . she went on to the same public school our son did, but in 4th grade she started going to a Performing Arts school. she is now 12 , next year she will be in 7th grade , and now is the task to find a fitting middle school for her with the Arts in the Hartford area. I can give you definetely some tips on how it goes here , a lot different then in the Netherlands.
Marion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut