Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 PM

22 posts, read 105,455 times

Advertisements

Umm, so what's the deal with liquor sales here?

What is the origin of the term "Package Store"?

I'm not sure if I'm entering a liquor store or a gay bar with a title like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Package stores are open until 9 p.m. M-Sat., closed on Sunday. Grocery and Convenience Stores can sell beer only, same hours and days as package stores.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:18 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
They call them package stores because back when there were Blue Laws that limited liquor sales, you could not have a bottle outside the store unless it was in brown bag packages. Jay

Old 10-27-2008, 01:22 PM

22 posts, read 105,455 times
Ha!
Is there anything you guys don't know?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:45 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_different View Post
Ha!
Is there anything you guys don't know?
Where the stock market will be tomorrow for one. Jay

Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 PM

786 posts, read 3,923,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_different View Post
Umm, so what's the deal with liquor sales here?

What is the origin of the term "Package Store"?

I'm not sure if I'm entering a liquor store or a gay bar with a title like that.
I was just thinking about this same thing as we are also new to Connecticut. I keep seeing these "package stores" and thinking that they are a place you go to ship packages (i.e., Mailboxes, Etc.).

Also, I notice that yard sales are called "Tag Sales" here which just sounds so much nicer.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
I was just thinking about this same thing as we are also new to Connecticut. I keep seeing these "package stores" and thinking that they are a place you go to ship packages (i.e., Mailboxes, Etc.).
Isn't that the truth! I've been here 21 years and refuse to call liquor stores anything else. (The two in my area have "liquor" in their names.)

Old 10-28-2008, 01:34 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Package stores are open until 9 p.m. M-Sat., closed on Sunday. Grocery and Convenience Stores can sell beer only, same hours and days as package stores.
I can't even count how many times we've run to the "packy" in Port Chester because we didn't plan ahead.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:11 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,214 times
Default liquor control act of 1933

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I can't even count how many times we've run to the "packy" in Port Chester because we didn't plan ahead.
In the old days (before kids) yes the last minute run may have been to the packy; after kids it is the run to the market for diapers and formula. LOL

Anyway...
CT General Statutes under the liquor control act of 1933 defines package stores as being allowed to sell packaged alcohol for consumption off premises of the store. Shocking but true...you can't drink it there Stop before you tear the top off of your next jug of wine while standing at the register...

dtSearch Web Search
"Sec. 30-20. Package store permits; grocery store beer permits. (a) A package store permit shall allow the retail sale of alcoholic liquor not to be consumed on the premises, such sales to be made only in sealed bottles or other containers. "

It goes on to say that the store owner can order and receive multiple, "....packages of alcoholic liquor shipped into the state by a manufacturer or out-of-state shipper, ..."

Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
In the old days (before kids) yes the last minute run may have been to the packy; after kids it is the run to the market for diapers and formula. LOL

Anyway...
CT General Statutes under the liquor control act of 1933 defines package stores as being allowed to sell packaged alcohol for consumption off premises of the store. Shocking but true...you can't drink it there Stop before you tear the top off of your next jug of wine while standing at the register...

dtSearch Web Search
"Sec. 30-20. Package store permits; grocery store beer permits. (a) A package store permit shall allow the retail sale of alcoholic liquor not to be consumed on the premises, such sales to be made only in sealed bottles or other containers. "

It goes on to say that the store owner can order and receive multiple, "....packages of alcoholic liquor shipped into the state by a manufacturer or out-of-state shipper, ..."
Kind of like the package store down the street from my house. I see people going in there asking for cups!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut